Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

USA - The Deep South

Comments

• clb74 said:

don't forget to take a white sheet, rope and some matches;)

I have to say I was amazed when I went into a black barbers in Mississippi and asked if it would be OK to come in for a haircut. They all looked stunned, that I should be considering coming in. in fact the barber said he'd never cut a white mans hair before, so I said if he didn't mind, nor would I. Incredible that in some places segregation still exists.

Was in memphis in march wife finally getting to graceland.
    We got the bus from beale St to graceland when talking to an American couple the next day was told "your mad white people don't get the bus to graceland".
    When we thought about it we were the only white people on the bus.
    Public transport is still HIGHLY segregated in much of the States. There are exceptions with cities like SF, NY, DC, etc., but in many cities it is mostly used by poor and/or minorities. LA is traditionally one of the worst for this.
  • Endorse all the things said. The trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive is everything they say. Carry on then to Pigeon Forge for Dollywood (although I havent been to PF since 1981, the people living there are worth the detour, as Michelin say). At random, if you're in Nashville, try to get tour of Studio B, where a huge number of classic rock/pop records were made. See the X on the floor where Elvis stood. Bob Dylan did, knelt down, kissed the spot and left without a word. The tours are run from the Country Music Hall of Fame - also worth a visit. If you're going to Charleston, just South is Jeckyll Island, which is like a set out of an F.Scott Fitzgerald novel.
  • As you are in Washington DC and mentioned Langley, do not miss the very moving memorial to the people killed on 911 when they tried to crash a plane into the Pentagon. It is a series of identical memorial stone benches. Each one is dedicated to a victim of the crash. They are arranged in age order from youngest to oldest. We happened to go at dusk and the lighting adds to the effect greatly. Washington could take 3 weeks to cover with each Smithsonian museum taking at least a day. The Monuments of the Mall, the Mint, the Capitol and the White House are all open to visitors, but perhaps these are a bit too mainstream touristy for your trip. If you do succumb to looking at the Mall monuments, there was a tour guide on a Segway, who collected a group together and gave a brilliant guided tour just for tips. He is excellent and quite rightly gets good business. Apparently $10 is the guide price if you like the tour, usually about an hour.
  • If you see anyone playing a banjo don't challenge him to a dual.
    Stay safe and have a good time
  • Great advice everyone and thanks for the concerns about my safety - especially DaveMehmet without whom I'd be causing mayhem on the highways. I'm not as reckless as I was when I was in the States in '89 and '91, wandering through Harlem on my own ('Get the f*** out of Harlem,' I was told), sleeping in my Driveaway car in laybys and hitching from SF to New York (a truck driver I was with at one point was arrested for driving while banned) but I hope to experience more of that love for the Brits - a Mormon family picked me up and put me up for the night, offering to pay my air fare from Salt Lake to NY (I declined) - and I'll be playing up on my RP English accent.
  • I am actually stunned that anyone, other than someone doing it for professional reasons (and I don't mean so they have a story to tell the kids at school), would put themself in harms way for pleasure? I am also equally surprised that the police would allow that. This is not a criticism captainbob, I wish you luck and hope you have a good time - each to their own and all that, I just genuinely am at a loss to understand it.
  • I am actually stunned that anyone, other than someone doing it for professional reasons (and I don't mean so they have a story to tell the kids at school), would put themself in harms way for pleasure? I am also equally surprised that the police would allow that. This is not a criticism captainbob, I wish you luck and hope you have a good time - each to their own and all that, I just genuinely am at a loss to understand it.

Now you've put it like that, Algarve, it's made me reflect upon my motives and question whether it's worth the risk to have that experience. Weighing it up, I'll probably go ahead with it but everything you say is right; it is foolhardy and any attempt to explain the appeal of spending time with the police won't change that. And I too am very surprised that the US police offer this 'Ridealong' scheme; I can't see what the benefit is for them other than hoping that the participants will be impressed by their professionalism and spread the word.
  • Bloody hot in New Orleans. Great place to visit though. As well as the usual stuff well worth getting the tram down St Charles Ave - Amazing the different styles of houses down that road, and going to Audubon Park for a bit.

Thing I noticed was that every single band playing in any bar we into were fantastic musicians. Usually free to get in and they have a bucket in front of the stage. Unlike here where if you fancy some live music on the off-chance you get fleeced on the door and then usually subjected to mediocre shite!
  • Always promised meself I'd go hunting bush pigs with knives down that way
  • My money on the bush pig oink oink
  • Sponsored links:

• Does anyone have any travel recommendations for Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama (or Tennessee and Kentucky en route)? I'll be travelling solo this summer for three weeks and want to see some of the well-known sights but also plenty of little-known gems. My style of travel is a bit like a Louis Theroux documentary as in I'm looking for stories which is why I'm starting in Washington DC with a four-hour police patrol in one of the toughest districts in the city (possibly worse than South Bermondsey). Hopefully, some of you can help with advice. Cheers.

Are you going searching for Cory Gibbs?
  • edited July 2016
    When are you in DC Capn? I'm driving from Baltimore to Stuart, Florida sometime in the next ten days, might be able to help out with trip.
  • Should have rung NCIS, they're a man short now DiNozzo has left!
  • limeygent said:

When are you in DC Capn? I'm driving from Baltimore to Stuart, Florida sometime in the next ten days, might be able to help out with trip.

Limey, you are a true gent. Thanks for the offer but my school holidays are still three weeks away.
  • sam3110 said:

Should have rung NCIS, they're a man short now DiNozzo has left!

I blame Charltonlife for my police patrol plan. It was some of you lot who recommended David Simon's 'Homicide' ages ago on another thread, and after several series of 'The Wire' as well, it stimulated the interest. I'm hoping for a few beers with McNulty and Moreland before popping round to Pearlman's for a cup of tea.
  • limeygent said:

Limey, you are a true gent. Thanks for the offer but my school holidays are still three weeks away.
    Wow, kids are already out over here.
  • limeygent said:

limeygent said:

Wow, kids are already out over here.
    You need to get a bigger lock on that basement then...

you like killing things do you?
  • sam3110 said:

I believe they are replacing him with an English guy. The plot thickens....
  • Sponsored links:

you like killing things do you?
    Ever seen Deliverance?
  • edited July 2016
    As a soul music fan/bore I'd go to 926 McLemore Ave (pronounced MAC-le-more; see, I said I was a soul bore) in Memphis and visit the Stax Museum.

Heck, I'd go and visit all the sites of the great Southern soul studios: Fame, Muscle Shoals, American Sound, Ardent.

• sam3110 said:

I blame Charltonlife for my police patrol plan. It was some of you lot who recommended David Simon's 'Homicide' ages ago on another thread, and after several series of 'The Wire' as well, it stimulated the interest. I'm hoping for a few beers with McNulty and Moreland before popping round to Pearlman's for a cup of tea.
    Good job you didn't read The Corner (better book too) otherwise you'd have spent your holiday in a crack den shooting up!
  • Change your name to Billy-Bob and you'll be fine.
  • Any top tips on car hire in the States?

The insurance that comes with the car is normally good for only about $100,000 third party cover and you need a lot more. I've always coughed up for the rest at the point of hire but you might want to look into getting a third party policy for the whole of your trip.
  • If you haven't bought your dollars, get them asap as I can see the £/$ exchange rate going only one way for a while and it's a direction that isn't going to make your trip any cheaper.
  • Some of you may remember and be interested in the fact that I'm going on a four-hour patrol with the Washington DC police. Well, I've just arrived in the city and I'll be heading off in an hour to find the precinct so I'll let you know how it goes.

Fingers crossed for you.
  • Some of you may remember and be interested in the fact that I'm going on a four-hour patrol with the Washington DC police. Well, I've just arrived in the city and I'll be heading off in an hour to find the precinct so I'll let you know how it goes.

Be safe
  • off on a different kind of US road trip on Friday

Alberta - British Colombia - Idaho - Montana - Wyoming - Utah & then back. Lots of driving - great!!

Ending up in Salt Lake City & taking in Real Salt Lake vs Chicago Fire which is an MLS game, not roller derby.