Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yulin dog meat festival

13»

Comments

• Options
    And I don't disagree. All I did was point out that the example you posted was to do with the cruelty of killing the sharks. Most people would agree that is the wrong thing to do.
  • Options

Fucking disgusting 'festival'. I'm not going to say much more because if I get started I might not be able to keep it short nor civil.

You & me both, AUN.

I can't begin to put into words what I feel for these dogs & the "festival" their carnage "celebrates.

If anyone is in doubt how these animals are treated, then google it & educate yourselves.

There are plenty of petitions you can add your signature to as well if you feel as strongly as I do about it. Only need to look at Facebook....

Just one word for those taking part in this obscenity.

Karma.

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

And I don't disagree. All I did was point out that the example you posted was to do with the cruelty of killing the sharks. Most people would agree that is the wrong thing to do.

Okay, no problemo :smile:
  • Options

So I ain't gotta go on Google to find out, can anyone explain why the dogs have to be stolen, tortured and cooked alive?

Have you ever tasted a German Shepherd with all the trimmings?
  • Options
    I would personally draw the line at eating feret!
  • Options
    I got flaged on another thread for using the C word. If i was to get going on this I would probably get slung of. Barbaric bastards
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

I deplore this festival and any others that are inhumane to animals of any kind. the chinese do seem inhumane of their treatment of animals and why I won't eat chinese food anymore!

having said that, I'm sure they would point to our dairy industry and accuse us of being equally cruel. they may have a point.

They could also point to the huge amounts of people who protest against this horrible, horrible festival.

I agree.

I wasn't trying to deflect from their abhorrent behaviour, just reminding everyone, we ain't so squeaky clean.

and as someone else said, if you eat meat, I don't, then what's the difference?

I am an animal lover and a dog owner.
    1. I'd like to think that when I'm eating a Big Mac, Daisy the Cow wasn't a stolen pet. There lies one major issue, there's evidence that links Yulin with domesticated pets being stolen.
    2. When I'm tucking in to a Chicken Pie during half-time at a football match, I have expectations about how that chicken was treated. In contrast, there's photographic evidence of the barbaric treatment at Yulin*.
    3. During the Olympics in 2012 I don't recall our Government cracking down on any restaurants that may offend overseas visitors; in contrast - when Beijing held the Olympics many restaurants were force to close.
    I'm not saying our farms are brilliant for the animals, they're still being bred to slaughter. However, having worked on a chicken farm when I was about 17, I learnt a lot about the legislation regarding space requirements and so on. In the UK we have pretty decent regulations and - if I recall correctly - farms can be subject to spot-checks. (Albeit, with a farmers union rep type present if you wish.) I'm under a similar impression regarding lamb, as my best mate lives on a farm.

Although it sounds fair in principle, comparing what happens in Yulin to the standards in the UK is very tenuous. When you provide the context you realist that there is very little in common. We're talking about - often stolen domesticated animals - being treated appalling and killed in numbers up to 15,000. A practice that local officials wont even support, and that their Government actively tried to hide during the Olympics. That doesn't really sound like heavily regulated farms, supplying animals that are confirmed to be of good health for food which the Government actively recommends.
    we may have, in part,a more humane practise but if you look into the dairy industry, you'll find they don't come up smelling of roses.
    likewise with chickens and pigs, veal and the rest.

and it's hardly a spot check, if they can get a union rep, down in time.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention I'll chow down on beaver.
  • Options
    Japan
    "The consumption of dog meat is not a feature of modern Japanese culture. There is a belief in Japan that certain dogs have special powers in their religion of Shintoism and Buddhism. Dog meat was consumed in Japan until 675 AD, when Emperor Temmu decreed a prohibition on its consumption"

They don't eat dog in Japan, that's right, but I would suggest (even if going a little OT) that treatment of animals is worse in Japan, The Cove is hugely eye opening.

I would also say, 100,000 tons of dog meat shows how little dog is eaten in China (although any is too much) when you consider around 60million metric tons of pork are consumed each year in China. Not meat, just pork.

I am very confident Yulin will not continue for much longer, the middle class is growing very quickly in China, more and more people have dogs as real pets, I walk my lab for 4-5 hours a day and am constantly meeting other dog owners, Yulin is a common topic at the moment, most people are disgusted by it.

It also is entirely illegal, as of I believe 2 years ago, this year has seen more closures of dog factories than ever before, it's a horrible 'festival' but it would very unfair to not highlight the great work being done in China to bring this abomination to an end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The neighbour up the road has a cat that has taken to visiting and coming indoors. It purrs louder than a resting Taxi, rolls over and is generally cute. It can easily sleep on my sofa 10 hours at a stretch and is a Zen master at chilling.
    I have found that I have bought some Dreamies which I will give him half a dozen or so occasionally, then went into a pet shop and bought the bugger a brush which he likes, and now rotate and wash car blankets for his favourite sleeping spot.
    I really don't know how this has all crept up on me, but I know one thing, I'm not going to eat him.
  • Options
    Sounds like the cat has got himself a pet.

Seems to be the way things go with cats. We've got two kittens, the other day I came home to a turd in the litter box, so diligently I put it in the bag, emptied out the litter, cleaned and disinfected the litter tray and filled it. Less than 30 seconds after I put it down, one of them came in and shat in it. As I watched him curl it out, I swear he was grinning at me. After I'd emptied it (didn't change the litter that time), the other one came in and stood next to it with a sly grin on his face... You can guess the rest.
  • Options
    A dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

That's me fucked!
  • Options
    I only eat dogs that are killed in an especially cruel and inhumane way
  • Options

Twat.
  • Options

Looking for a bite, pop round I'll see you get one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I am repulsed when I smell the stench of burning animal flesh. Meat barbecues are highly offensive, whatever poor creature is being prepared / cooked / burned. Thankfully, more and more people are realising the benefits of a vegan diet and lifestyle.

Vegetables have feelings too.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Off_it said:

i think you'll find all animals have a personality, it's probably the people who don't.
    Oh dear. Do give it a rest Martin.

I think you'll find it's a line from a film. But then I suppose you probably don't watch films.

"I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy, but he's definitely dirty"
  • Options

There is minimal minimal dog in the Chinese diet. Tiny element overall. Not a common practice.

Some of the traditions of eating it began when people were starving and fighting for survival.

The hypocrisy of dog lovers eating non-dog meat amuses me.... And angers me to some extent.... Can't see it, eh? Blind to yourselves?

Pretty much on a par of hypocrisy for me as animal rights activists who mutilate the genitalia of their dogs and cats (do the words neutered and spayed make you feel better about it?)

I usually keep quiet on such threads... But today is a day for calling bollocks when you see it

Not if you've been neutered.
  • Options

There is minimal minimal dog in the Chinese diet. Tiny element overall. Not a common practice.

Some of the traditions of eating it began when people were starving and fighting for survival.

The hypocrisy of dog lovers eating non-dog meat amuses me.... And angers me to some extent.... Can't see it, eh? Blind to yourselves?

Pretty much on a par of hypocrisy for me as animal rights activists who mutilate the genitalia of their dogs and cats (do the words neutered and spayed make you feel better about it?)

I usually keep quiet on such threads... But today is a day for calling bollocks when you see it

What are the alternatives?

Loads and dogs and cats running round?

Then someone like me has to deal with the consequences.