Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yulin dog meat festival

Comments

• Options

Won't even get in to my thoughts on Yulin as its already been said a few times above.

As for eating dogs, though most people will try to say it's no different to eating a cow etc. as will veggies. There is a definite difference, saw an advert recently designed to make you think about where the 'line' of acceptable to eat is, cow, pigs, chicken one side then moved over to horse, rabbit, cat, dog, within a second I'd put the line by the horse. I'm sure some won't like it but I have no problem whatsoever eating a pig/ cow. I have no attachment to an animal like that, not to say I wouldn't try to help one if I saw it suffering but it doesn't even compare to a dog or cat

Why is there a definite difference? The difference is purely psychological and emotional on your part and is not based on anything substantive. The only difference is we've been brought up in a culture which has changed to define pets and food as we do. Horse was a common meat in the UK until relatively recently.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    DRAddick said:

Won't even get in to my thoughts on Yulin as its already been said a few times above.

As for eating dogs, though most people will try to say it's no different to eating a cow etc. as will veggies. There is a definite difference, saw an advert recently designed to make you think about where the 'line' of acceptable to eat is, cow, pigs, chicken one side then moved over to horse, rabbit, cat, dog, within a second I'd put the line by the horse. I'm sure some won't like it but I have no problem whatsoever eating a pig/ cow. I have no attachment to an animal like that, not to say I wouldn't try to help one if I saw it suffering but it doesn't even compare to a dog or cat

Why is there a definite difference? The difference is purely psychological and emotional on your part and is not based on anything substantive. The only difference is we've been brought up in a culture which has changed to define pets and food as we do. Horse was a common meat in the UK until relatively recently.
    Man's best friend has been as such for hundreds, to thousands of years.

Other pets, such as cats have been kept for a similar time if not longer.

Yulin's been around a few decades...

Which is therefore the more normal practice? I accept I am a hypocrite in certain regards due to eating Cow, Turkey, Fish & Chicken and to some degree pig (well bacon I don't eat other pork)
  • Options

I deplore this festival and any others that are inhumane to animals of any kind. the chinese do seem inhumane of their treatment of animals and why I won't eat chinese food anymore!

having said that, I'm sure they would point to our dairy industry and accuse us of being equally cruel. they may have a point.

They could also point to the huge amounts of people who protest against this horrible, horrible festival.

I agree.

I wasn't trying to deflect from their abhorrent behaviour, just reminding everyone, we ain't so squeaky clean.

and as someone else said, if you eat meat, I don't, then what's the difference?

I am an animal lover and a dog owner.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    DRAddick said:

The difference for me is mostly that dogs are carnivores and animals that are eaten by humans are, on the whole, herbivores. With maybe fish being the one exception. And free range chickens that get hold of the odd worm I spose.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    RedPanda said:

Only in a survival situation. I detest this practice, made even worse by the inhumane way a lot of these animals are tortured during the proccess.

A truly insensitive race of people

Unfortunately I am inclined to agree. No other nation has done as much harm to wildlife worldwide, and it’s only getting worse because of improved wealth. From plundering precious woods in Madagascar which affects lemurs, to ivory, tiger parts, sun bear bile, orangutan shows and the sale of South American “finger monkeys”.

The poor little (and largely unknown) pangolin is now the world’s most trafficked animal. Most have gone from Asia’s forests so they’ve moved onto pillaging Africa’s. Their meat is a delicacy and their scales have “healing powers.” Like rhino horns these are made from keratin, the same material as our fingernails.

I am a well travelled guy but I don’t ever want to visit China. Dogs are the tip of the iceberg.
    I've never seen one of these before - what a beautiful creature. His little ear- if that's what it is - looks like a rough prototype of a human ' s.
    I couldn't eat dog or horse: sentimental hypocrisy, nothing more.

• Options
    edited June 2016

I deplore this festival and any others that are inhumane to animals of any kind. the chinese do seem inhumane of their treatment of animals and why I won't eat chinese food anymore!

having said that, I'm sure they would point to our dairy industry and accuse us of being equally cruel. they may have a point.

They could also point to the huge amounts of people who protest against this horrible, horrible festival.

I agree.

I wasn't trying to deflect from their abhorrent behaviour, just reminding everyone, we ain't so squeaky clean.

and as someone else said, if you eat meat, I don't, then what's the difference?

I am an animal lover and a dog owner.
    1. I'd like to think that when I'm eating a Big Mac, Daisy the Cow wasn't a stolen pet. There lies one major issue, there's evidence that links Yulin with domesticated pets being stolen.
    2. When I'm tucking in to a Chicken Pie during half-time at a football match, I have expectations about how that chicken was treated. In contrast, there's photographic evidence of the barbaric treatment at Yulin*.
    3. During the Olympics in 2012 I don't recall our Government cracking down on any restaurants that may offend overseas visitors; in contrast - when Beijing held the Olympics many restaurants were force to close.
    I'm not saying our farms are brilliant for the animals, they're still being bred to slaughter. However, having worked on a chicken farm when I was about 17, I learnt a lot about the legislation regarding space requirements and so on. In the UK we have pretty decent regulations and - if I recall correctly - farms can be subject to spot-checks. (Albeit, with a farmers union rep type present if you wish.) I'm under a similar impression regarding lamb, as my best mate lives on a farm.

Although it sounds fair in principle, comparing what happens in Yulin to the standards in the UK is very tenuous. When you provide the context you realist that there is very little in common. We're talking about - often stolen domesticated animals - being treated appalling and killed in numbers up to 15,000. A practice that local officials wont even support, and that their Government actively tried to hide during the Olympics. That doesn't really sound like heavily regulated farms, supplying animals that are confirmed to be of good health for food which the Government actively recommends.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

DRAddick said:

Man's best friend has been as such for hundreds, to thousands of years.

Other pets, such as cats have been kept for a similar time if not longer.

Yulin's been around a few decades...

Which is therefore the more normal practice? I accept I am a hypocrite in certain regards due to eating Cow, Turkey, Fish & Chicken and to some degree pig (well bacon I don't eat other pork)
    I'm not defending Yulin or any such practices at all, there is no defending them. The op is just about eating dog in general not the festival.
    Eating cat and dog has been the normal practice for many people for longer than we decided to get emotionally attached to them and just see them as pets. NOT eating certain animals we eat has been the norm for centuries in certain cultural and religious communities as well, which I personally think is equally stupid because the reasons are now outdated and just kept because it's what they've been told they must do. As I said Horse was normal here 'til not that long ago and is still common in countries not to far and different from us. We just changed emotionally towards them too. Why are we right about what animals can be eaten and all these other countries and cultures are wrong?

For me it only matters where the animal was from and how it was treated (and endangered etc), not what the animal is.
    If people then choose to eat the animal then that's their choice. One of my favourite foods is Foie gras, I love it, but have now chosen not to eat it anymore because I feel guilty about it's production.
  • Options

DRAddick said:

The difference for me is mostly that dogs are carnivores and animals that are eaten by humans are, on the whole, herbivores. With maybe fish being the one exception. And free range chickens that get hold of the odd worm I spose.
    So you are saying that we should eat vegetarians?
  • Options

DRAddick said:

Pigs are cannibals in the wild or when given the chance. They're only herbivores because we choose to feed them that way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DRAddick said:

DRAddick said:

Pigs are cannibals in the wild or when given the chance. They're only herbivores because we choose to feed them that way.
    That's my point
  • Options
    ...same as chickens eat grubs and worm, but I personally wouldn't wanna eat chicken that has lived mainly on those things.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

I think it's fine if you say "I wouldn't eat dog or whatever animal for sentimental reasons" that's fine it's your choice after all. I think the problem comes when people say that it is wrong for other people to do so.

If I found myself in a restaurant that serves dog I wouldn't leave for that reason, I just personally wouldn't eat it.

I mentioned in the general things that annoy you thread that it annoys me when people question what I choose to eat and would certainly never do that to someone else.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

I've never seen one of these before - what a beautiful creature. His little ear- if that's what it is - looks like a rough prototype of a human ' s.

That’s why I try and bring them up whenever possible. They don’t get the (mainstream) media attention of bigger animals but I’m often seeing stories like this:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/chinese-authorities-seize-2674-pangolin-carcasses-biggest-trafficking-case-5-years-1526947

And they're easy to catch because when threatened they curl up in a defensive ball.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Poor things, don't get me started on shark fin soup either...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark_finning
    Not so defenceless but too stupid to turn down a slab of meat and have all their fins cut off, boiled and seasoned whilst they're left to sink back into the ocean unable to swim...
  • Options
    Also, dog is far more popular in Korea.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

I think it's fine if you say "I wouldn't eat dog or whatever animal for sentimental reasons" that's fine it's your choice after all. I think the problem comes when people say that it is wrong for other people to do so.

If I found myself in a restaurant that serves dog I wouldn't leave for that reason, I just personally wouldn't eat it.
    You probably already have - but just don't know it.

;o)
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Over 100,000 tons a year of dog or 2.5 million dogs a year.

It's very strange for me that these countries, China, Korea and Vietnam do this whilst Japan... well Japan refuse to buy, use or farm dogs for food in any way.

They're not the only ones eating dog though sadly... It is common in many countries, but none celebrate it with a festival.

Taken from Wiki so not committing entire belief to this, but still.

Hong Kong
    "In Hong Kong, the Dogs and Cats Ordinance was introduced by the British Hong Kong Government on 6 January 1950.[75] It prohibits the slaughter of any dog or cat for use as food, whether for mankind or otherwise, on pain of fine and imprisonment.[76][77] In February 1998, a Hong Konger was sentenced to one month imprisonment and a fine of two thousand HK dollars for hunting street dogs for food.[78] Four local men were sentenced to 30 days imprisonment in December 2006 for having slaughtered two dogs"
    Japan
    "The consumption of dog meat is not a feature of modern Japanese culture. There is a belief in Japan that certain dogs have special powers in their religion of Shintoism and Buddhism. Dog meat was consumed in Japan until 675 AD, when Emperor Temmu decreed a prohibition on its consumption"

I'm out now as I genuinely find it saddening to think people would be able to torture and murder such beautiful creatures.

I've admitted that I am hypocritical on this as I wouldn't give up the usual acceptable meats over here that I already eat....

Dog is Man's best friend and Diego at times feels exactly like that for me and my family.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Over 100,000 tons a year of dog or 2.5 million dogs a year.

It's very strange for me that these countries, China, Korea and Vietnam do this whilst Japan... well Japan refuse to buy, use or farm dogs for food in any way.

They're not the only ones eating dog though sadly... It is common in many countries, but none celebrate it with a festival.

Taken from Wiki so not committing entire belief to this, but still.

Hong Kong
    "In Hong Kong, the Dogs and Cats Ordinance was introduced by the British Hong Kong Government on 6 January 1950.[75] It prohibits the slaughter of any dog or cat for use as food, whether for mankind or otherwise, on pain of fine and imprisonment.[76][77] In February 1998, a Hong Konger was sentenced to one month imprisonment and a fine of two thousand HK dollars for hunting street dogs for food.[78] Four local men were sentenced to 30 days imprisonment in December 2006 for having slaughtered two dogs"
    Japan
    "The consumption of dog meat is not a feature of modern Japanese culture. There is a belief in Japan that certain dogs have special powers in their religion of Shintoism and Buddhism. Dog meat was consumed in Japan until 675 AD, when Emperor Temmu decreed a prohibition on its consumption"

As a Japanese breed owner, this pleases me.

Is that salt and pepper on his back... :wink:
  • Options
    of course as a westerner we dont understand eating dogs, but then i do eat chickens, cow, pig, sheep and dont find it odd, its the manner in which these animals are so cruely handled.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Poor things, don't get me started on shark fin soup either...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark_finning
    Not so defenceless but too stupid to turn down a slab of meat and have all their fins cut off, boiled and seasoned whilst they're left to sink back into the ocean unable to swim...

Again though, this is about the treatment of the animal rather than eating that animal. Assuming that it was farmed and killed in an ethical way (well as ethical as possible given that you are killing something) then it shouldn't be a problem. I don't think anyone condones cruelty to animals, even ones they are about to eat.
  • Options
    The way mass produced chickens and turkeys are reared is fairly dubious as well, especially the modern turkey, a creature which is so freakish looking that it needs someone from Norfolk to inseminate it
  • Options
    I eat meat. I like to think the meat I eat has been treated humanly throughout it's life (unfortuntely I don't know that)
    I like to think the animal was killed quickly and cleanly. I know much of it isn't. Halal slaughter goes on all round the UK. The resulting meat turns up in many supermarkets, but they don't tell you.
    I have eaten many 'strange' meats, but never knowingly dog. There is no reason to not eat dog, though I confess I might struggle.

I know nothing about Yulin. But if the animals are stolen/tortured/cooked alive. The humans carrying out such acts should be staring at four walls for many years. Absolutely despicable behaviour.
  • Options
    So I ain't gotta go on Google to find out, can anyone explain why the dogs have to be stolen, tortured and cooked alive?
  • Options

So I ain't gotta go on Google to find out, can anyone explain why the dogs have to be stolen, tortured and cooked alive?

Have you ever tasted a German Shepherd with all the trimmings?
  • Options

Have you ever tasted a German Shepherd with all the trimmings?
    I've heard it tastes ruff.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Again though, this is about the treatment of the animal rather than eating that animal. Assuming that it was farmed and killed in an ethical way (well as ethical as possible given that you are killing something) then it shouldn't be a problem.

Forgetting the cruelty it's eating protected & endangered animals, all of which it is illegal to hunt/trade. It's the equivalent of eating bush meat in Africa, only these people are far wealthier and in fact use it as a status symbol. Shark fins don't even taste of anything.

Furthermore, such species play important roles in their respective ecosystems and our environment. Once they are gone there is no going back.

"I don't think anyone condones cruelty to animals, even ones they are about to eat." I beg to differ.
  • Options
    Daggs said:

I eat meat. I like to think the meat I eat has been treated humanly throughout it's life (unfortuntely I don't know that)
    I like to think the animal was killed quickly and cleanly. I know much of it isn't. Halal slaughter goes on all round the UK. The resulting meat turns up in many supermarkets, but they don't tell you.
    I have eaten many 'strange' meats, but never knowingly dog. There is no reason to not eat dog, though I confess I might struggle.

I know nothing about Yulin. But if the animals are stolen/tortured/cooked alive. The humans carrying out such acts should be staring at four walls for many years. Absolutely despicable behaviour.

They should definitely get their collars felt.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

colthe3rd said:

Again though, this is about the treatment of the animal rather than eating that animal. Assuming that it was farmed and killed in an ethical way (well as ethical as possible given that you are killing something) then it shouldn't be a problem.

Forgetting the cruelty it's eating protected & endangered animals, all of which it is illegal to hunt/trade. It's the equivalent of eating bush meat in Africa, only these people are far wealthier and in fact use it as a status symbol. Shark fins don't even taste of anything.

Furthermore, such species play important roles in their respective ecosystems and our environment. Once they are gone there is no going back.

"I don't think anyone condones cruelty to animals, even ones they are about to eat." I beg to differ.
    AFAIK sharks aren't an endangered animal. But yes I agree with you and as my other post said no one should eat someone's pet or an endangered animal. Assuming the animal has been treated well throughout and at the end of it's life then I see no problem with whatever meat people want to consume.

And you're taking it a bit far by quoting the last line. Clearly I meant the majority of people including the majority of people on here.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    colthe3rd said:

AFAIK sharks aren't an endangered animal. But yes I agree with you and as my other post said no one should eat someone's pet or an endangered animal. Assuming the animal has been treated well throughout and at the end of it's life then I see no problem with whatever meat people want to consume.

And you're taking it a bit far by quoting the last line. Clearly I meant the majority of people including the majority of people on here.

Fair enough, for the last bit I was thinking of further afield. Regarding shark species:
    http://www.sharksavers.org/en/education/sharks-are-in-trouble/the-impact-of-the-shark-fin-trade/

A total of 141 shark species are classified as threatened or near threatened with extinction, and others are data deficient

It's another problem worsening because of modern money and archaic beliefs. With wild animals there is always suffering behind it unfortunately, then there is a greater impact to their environment.