Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So a colleague tried booking a ticket for Sat...

A colleague at work, who has a mate coming over from the states, tried booking a ticket for Saturday as the mate had never been to a football match. Millwall is sold out (decision made on distance) so he thought to try us. At first the website kept crashing then he found the information confusing. Finally he rang but the phone lines were down, he tried numerous times until he got through and was told he couldn't buy a ticket without a red card number. Knowing our stadium would be empty, he could not understand this!

Undeterred he asked if I could book the tickets for him at which point he mentioned he had looked at the Fulham site which was much easier than ours and the phone lines worked.

I told him to just go to Fulham, take his mate there, have a nice pint by the river.

So many elements of this attempt to watch Charlton are grim, and show how far we have fallen and reflect the way we are being run.

1. Millwall are sold out
2. Potential new "customers" can't get tickets
3. The website and phone lines didn't work
4. Other London clubs are easier to buy a ticket for
5. A life long CAFC fan would just tell two visitors not to bother and go elsewhere.

They are running this club into the ground......

Comments

• It's the very basics. They get even the simplest thing wrong, all the time. Roland should factor in what it'll cost to repair the damage they've done to the club into his asking price and only charge a pound.
  • Sadly, it reflects what we have become under KM, a shambles with nothing in permanent operation.
  • Ticket restrictions for this game are more to do with stopping Burnley fans buying tickets in the home ends. Reading their forum the stupid northern bastards believe that they are champions already and that the trophy will be presented at the Valley.
  • I do remember earlier in the season bringing my nephews and brother in law. Nephews head to toe in Charlton gear. They came back to me saying they wouldn't be sold tickets without a red card.

I went up with my season ticket and got them in. If I weren't there that's 3 people turned away, 2 children with kits, hats and scarves on.

What is going there?
  • It's incompetence coupled with the siege mentality. I know they are trying to avoid Burnley fans in the home areas but this sort of conversation goes on week in week out, KM and RD, just get out of our club!
  • When they have stopped selling tickets in the West Lower for tomorrow's game for "Health and safety reasons" you know that the paranoia has set in throughout the football club.
  • shirty5 said:

When they have stopped selling tickets in the West Lower for tomorrow's game for "Health and safety reasons" you know that the paranoia has set in throughout the football club.

Ooh, but the flasks and blankets that fly from the West Upper are disgraceful! How can the poor lower standers avoid them?1
  • The basics of running a football club

Sell tickets fail

Sell food and drink fail

Attract sponsorship fail

Provide relative success on the pitch fail

Yet the owner continues to employ the CEO despite failing every single objective of a successful business. What an utter shambles. Her career will never recover from this.
  • Sponsored links:

• So, is that the case? No tickets for sale in West Lower? That's where I sit and wanted to bring mentioned Nephews and Wife tomorrow!

If so I will be making a complaint today
  • Complain to who exactly. No one takes any responsibility any more at our shambles of a club.
  • Complain to who exactly. No one takes any responsibility any more at our shambles of a club.

True
  • edited May 2016
    Why don't they just lock the gates and keep all these unique people out?
    All they do when they do come in, is cause trouble and throw stuff about.
    Yes, lock the troublesome bastards out, then the premier stars of tomorrow can get on with parading their skills to invited guests in peace and quiet.
    It's the future, today.
  • So, is that the case? No tickets for sale in West Lower? That's where I sit and wanted to bring mentioned Nephews and Wife tomorrow!

If so I will be making a complaint today

Try an email to fans@cafc.co.uk. They resolved my issue.
  • Worth noting Millwall are away though. So 'sold out' refers to the approx 1k Gillingham have given them.
  • I do remember earlier in the season bringing my nephews and brother in law. Nephews head to toe in Charlton gear. They came back to me saying they wouldn't be sold tickets without a red card.

I went up with my season ticket and got them in. If I weren't there that's 3 people turned away, 2 children with kits, hats and scarves on.

What is going there?

This is true and very stupid. Even at the Brighton game i saw 3-4 Charlton lads turned away from the Cupboard end ticket office as they didn't all have red cards, one off them was a season ticket holder and was just trying to get his mates in. I told them to go back to a different window and give their names/addresses if they had purchase history but why wouldnt they have been told that at the window - and surely as an ST holder in a half empty ground you ought to be able to bring a couple of mates in that you are then responsible for....I wish it was deliberate madness in a way but it is just such incompetence
  • Yeah can't bring my daughter along as she "doesn't have a buying history or a red card"... She's 7.

Apparently the 'future' of the club according to our esteemed leaders. I think i'll encourage her to support Spurs like her cousins. Spurs will be delighted as it'll make up for all those cabbies coming the other way.
  • To be fair to the club the reason he needed a red card is to stop Burnley fans buying tickets in our end.

If they didn't do this and some of their less desirable elements were in with our fans there'd be plenty of whinging on here about it...

• I tried on Thursday to buy tickets for the Burnley game. Daughter decided that she really wants to go. Could not buy tickets online. Phoned the ticket office and gave my Red Card number and because all of my tickets over the last 2 seasons have been picked up by a season ticket holder and not on my Red Card I could not buy tickets. Pointed out my Red Card has been valid for a number of seasons but because they are on restricted sale I could not buy. Really encouraging Charlton supporters to come to the stadium for that ultimate match day experience.
  • Sponsored links:

• But if you have a Red Card, which is in effect a membership card, why would you not be able to buy tickets?
  • This is exactly the kind of customer experience issue that, if reported, a real business would have a huge reaction to!

Suspect the only thing that'll happen here is they'll close the ticket office for another day next season.
  • I have been told I cannot buy a ticket as the computer has no purchase history for me. I was a season-ticket holder until moving in 2006 but still watch a number of games every year, buying on the day. Luckily I checked after hearing here that proof of support was needed or I would have wasted a day and a lot of petrol. So with my family, who have all been a fair few times with me, we will now go to a rugby match (not watching any other football club apart from CAFC). The frustration will be that when the 'highlights' are shown it will be against swathes of empty seats. Well done Roland, this is the world you have created.
  • Jodaius said:

These are normal, sensible precautions taken at any game where the away end is likely to sell out. It's been the same way for years. Even my local non-league side, Braintree Town, are doing exactly the same thing for the Conference play-off semi-final on Sunday (and in that case, you can't buy at all on the day, even for ST holders).

This club is being badly managed from top to bottom, but if we start criticising every little decision, even when they are sensible, we will come across as petty and vindictive and the wider message will be lost.

Also I don't understand the issue with ST holders struggling to buy tickets- at the Brighton game (which had the same restrictions) I went straight to the ticket window, showed by ST, and was able to buy a ticket for my cousin with no further questions asked. The club is not going to refuse to sell to 7 year old girls accompanied by season ticket holders.

Except according to a Burnley supporting friend a load of Burnley fans have bought discounted tickets in the home ends through some armed forces programme the club support.

I'm A Red card holder living in Herts (granted it's a little further up north) and yes the club have declined to sell me a ticket for my 7yo daughter, but that's their prerogative. I see it as stupid. I'll watch it on the TV with the BBQ going. No skin off my nose.

• I called this morning, bought 2 adult tickets in the lower west. Have only been to 2 home games this season but have sat in the same area (with my Dad and Uncle). Don't know my membership number, but my name is on the system.

I do begrudge the £2 booking fee as the online booking system doesn't work for me. Good job I called on my work phone or that would have cost a lot too whilst I listen to the prerecorded options.

I like the authentic south east london accent pronouncing 'three' with an f too.....

£62....we better win!
  • T said:

Jodaius said:

These are normal, sensible precautions taken at any game where the away end is likely to sell out. It's been the same way for years. Even my local non-league side, Braintree Town, are doing exactly the same thing for the Conference play-off semi-final on Sunday (and in that case, you can't buy at all on the day, even for ST holders).

This club is being badly managed from top to bottom, but if we start criticising every little decision, even when they are sensible, we will come across as petty and vindictive and the wider message will be lost.

Also I don't understand the issue with ST holders struggling to buy tickets- at the Brighton game (which had the same restrictions) I went straight to the ticket window, showed by ST, and was able to buy a ticket for my cousin with no further questions asked. The club is not going to refuse to sell to 7 year old girls accompanied by season ticket holders.

Except according to a Burnley supporting friend a load of Burnley fans have bought discounted tickets in the home ends through some armed forces programme the club support.

I'm A Red card holder living in Herts (granted it's a little further up north) and yes the club have declined to sell me a ticket for my 7yo daughter, but that's their prerogative. I see it as stupid. I'll watch it on the TV with the BBQ going. No skin off my nose.
    Its not too clever that for a game where they are trying to restrict away fans they continue to allow Tickets for Troops to give away free tickets to any Tom, Dick or Harry with a MOD90. I'm not surprised at all though, there's no joined up thinking (or any thinking at all!) going on at the Valley these days.

• Sadly I can see why the club have this stance - the season is a write off. They just want to get through tomorrow without incident and everyone gets out unscathed. Allowing a few hundred randoms in isn't going to matter financially when compared with the potential cost of Burnley fans in the home ends and the increased risk of further crowd trouble.

For the first home game in several seasons I am not attending by choice - I don't think I want my son there if it does go off

Good luck to Burnley in the Prem

Looking forward to August when it all starts again with a new look management team, playing staff and maybe even more
  • I hope we have a new look senior management team next year.

I hope nothing serious kicks off tomorrow, I can't see why it would but I guess everything is possible.

I'll still go with my son but we will be leaving pretty sharp if it all kicks off. I hope it doesn't as although I'm sure we will come to the valley next season, I don't know yet how often it when.