Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Burnley | Sat 07 May | 12:30pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Burnley
Saturday 7 May 2016 … 12:30pm Kick-Off
Referee: Roger East

Introduction

Here we are once more… The final game of the season is upon us once more and just like twelve months ago it appears as though Charlton will be playing hosts to the Champions of the Championship…

Don’t get me wrong, take nothing away from Burnley, the table doesn’t lie and that simple piece of information says that our final opponents this Saturday are the best side in the Division, whilst their hosts are the third worst team in the Division which is why this will be our last Championship appearance in 2016.

We can only hope that it will return in 2017.

Story of the Season
The Football League have confirmed that the Championship trophy will not be presented following the conclusion of the match this Saturday so having already covered a Burnley Match Preview I see no point in mentioning our opponents…
  • August: The season began with so much hope, players coming in from top European sides and two wins against two sides relegated from the Premier League and we thought it would be our year.
  • September: One draw was all we managed as injuries started to impact our season, relying on the youth of Mikhail Kennedy and Karlan Ahearne-Grant was never going to end well.
  • October: Once again we only managed the one draw (Fulham), we lost the majority of our matches by the same score line (3-0) and our latest Manager was gone, bye Guy!!
  • November: Wins against Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham City reignited hope; Ademola Lookman burst on to the scene and for that we only have the Interim one to thank.
  • December: We knew we were in deep trouble when twice we threw away 2-0 leads against Brighton and Bolton, another youngster: Harry Lennon saved our Christmas earning us a point at Bristol City.
  • January: Look away now; just forget this month in the Footballing season of 2015/16 ever happened… Oh hang on, Jose Riga returned and the not very Interim Manager left the club in a laundry basket.
  • February: Hope which returned with victory at the end of January was quickly extinguished with just a sole point, a man from Brittany returned with Reading to show why he should never have left.
  • March: For the first time in three months we finally won a match, we won two including a rare victory not just in front of the SKY cameras yet against Middlesbrough… Begin the protests.
  • April: Hello League One my old friend… We managed another two wins for yet another month yet our issues this season have been the inability to score and boy was it proven in April.
  • May: Jordan Cousins voted Player of the Season, this Saturday afternoon another chapter of the Charlton Athletic story will be complete.
Charlton Team News
Just before 3pm this Saturday the season will be over, instead of kick off at this time, the last ball will have been kicked… the players will depart on their holidays and many Charlton fans will be left wondering who they’ll see at the Valley next season.

It has been rumoured whether Stephen Henderson is injured or not yet the man himself confirmed that the story was true although regardless; Nick Pope is the future so will be the man in between the sticks this Saturday.

With question marks around the futures of our most loyal players, you’d hope that Chris Solly is fit to play this weekend, if he does leave the Valley this summer it wouldn’t be fitting for a player of his stature to leave via the back door... As already mentioned injuries have been the story of our season and reading reports from Leeds last weekend, it makes you wonder where we’d be had Ahmed Kashi remained fit…?

Sadly it wasn’t to be for our Algerian yet hopefully we’ll see him one last time.

Pope
Solly … Teixeira … Diarra … Fox
Gudmundsson … Jackson … Kashi … Cousins
Lookman … Harriott

Substitutes Bench: Mitov … Motta… Fanni … Lapslie … Bergdich … Makienok … Vetokele

Comments

• Your keen. It's only tuesday! :smiley:
  • shirty5 said:

Your keen. It's only tuesday! :smiley:

lol! I'm busy Thursday so because of that I'm not sure how it'll impact my day on Wednesday / Friday

So your all getting a treat :)
  • edited May 2016
    Pope
    Lookman … Harriott

Substitutes Bench: Mitov … Solly … Fanni … Lapslie … Bergdich … Makienok … Vetokele

2 Solly's?

• Dazzler21 said:

2 Solly's?

Well is fucking quality apparently ;)

Wouldnt be right if I didnt make a mistake in my last preview of the season.
  • I'm going for a beer in the sun and to check out what protests will happen, looking forward to the day...........

........oh and I reckon we'll win
  • Just say solly.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Pope
    Lookman … Harriott

Substitutes Bench: Mitov … Solly … Fanni … Lapslie … Bergdich … Makienok … Vetokele

2 Solly's?

We'll be lucky to have 1 next season if KM gets her way...
  • Sponsored links:

• Comfortable home win 4-0.

See you in August :smile:

• Just before 3pm this Saturday the season will be over, instead of kick off at this time, the last ball will have been kicked… between the sticks this Saturday.

Not if the protests go to plan. I'm at a barbecue at 7pm. Told them I might be late.

• The referee for the game by the way will be premier league referee Roger East
  • The referee for the game by the way will be premier league referee Roger East

Where did you find that information as the Football League website hasnt released the Referee list for next weekend yet
  • 0-3. And you can bet your life that for one of the scorers it will be their first goal of the season.
  • Rate the ref mate. image
  • Cheers mate
  • edited May 2016
    Ok work out where these four live, and Saturday morning, get the van to pick them up, and take them out to the woods for the day !

Like all good Sarf London gangster films.

Il come on board to be Roger East, as a prem our officials won,t have a clue what he looks like. That's just another three wanted ! Volunteers .
  • Thank goodness the referee isn't Keith Stroud.

I'd have thought Motta might feature on the bench instead of Solly II. Surprised though to see Fanni play at right back last week and wonder if Motta has a strategic injury.

The level of disclosure on injuries this season has been pretty poor. I know that full disclosure of who is fit and who isn't just before a game may not be sensible as it may help the opposition set themselves up but a bit more on longer term injuries and more updates would have been good.

I think we will probably win 3-1.

• Sponsored links:

• 0-3 you know it makes sense...
  • Dazzler21 said:

2 Solly's?

Well is fucking quality apparently ;)

Wouldnt be right if I didnt make a mistake in my last preview of the season.
    Go out the way you came in mate ;).

I really enjoy reading these, even when they turn up late, or sometimes not much at all, or full of mistakes, or whatever.

Like all of us, I think you should use the summer to get away, think, see what offers come in, and then make your decision whether to continue. It should be noted that this is only your first season in the first team, and I think there's a lot of potential for growth (insert joke about nowhere to go but up).

Seriously though, thank you so much FA for these. I really enjoy them, and I think you're too hard on yourself, you're a very solid writer. I can only imagine the amount of time and energy these require, so please know that they're valued.
  • Well done @ForeverAddickted good effort over the season mate. Thanks for taking the time to write these
  • PS - prediction. Stress balls will be the winners
  • thank fuck its over, thanks for the match previews @ForeverAddickted
  • Charlton 1-0 Burnley
  • As it stands , my last game as a season ticket holder going back 19 years, hope we go out with a bang, 0-6, Barton double hat trick.

Bring on the protests!!!