Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Welling United

Just read that Mark Godberg has been named caretaker manager and is set to become the majority shareholder. Apparently has plans to redevelop the ground.

Comments

• Yes known about this for couple of weeks. He came to a meeting on Sunday at Bexleyheath sports club. Wants to buy the land there and lower part of Danson Park. Move football ground in ten metres and build gym at Park view Road end. Bought shops next to entrance and care homes over the road,.

Everything dependent on planning permission for residential property on cricket pitch and care homes on our clubs tennis courts or no takeover. Great for sports club if council play ball as we get new pavilion and 5 floodlit courts where existing Danson Park courts are. Also astronomy turf football and hockey pitches.

Big plans for wings grow club Like he did Bromley. Still a palace wanker though and did not like me publicly thanking him for putting them into administration ha ha.
  • So the plan is to build on the cricket club? Surely they won't allow that, and who owns the cricket ground anyway?
  • Doesn't Bexley Council own the freehold of PVR, or did that change long ago?
  • Doesn't Bexley Council own the freehold of PVR, or did that change long ago?

They still own it.

Have seen the architects drawings, it's very extensive and a big project.

• Only building on first ten metres from road and rotate cricket pitch 90 degrees.
  • Yes known about this for couple of weeks. He came to a meeting on Sunday at Bexleyheath sports club. Wants to buy the land there and lower part of Danson Park. Move football ground in ten metres and build gym at Park view Road end. Bought shops next to entrance and care homes over the road,.

Everything dependent on planning permission for residential property on cricket pitch and care homes on our clubs tennis courts or no takeover. Great for sports club if council play ball as we get new pavilion and 5 floodlit courts where existing Danson Park courts are. Also astronomy turf football and hockey pitches.

Big plans for wings grow club Like he did Bromley. Still a palace wanker though and did not like me publicly thanking him for putting them into administration ha ha.

Grown on Mars?
  • adsads
    edited April 2016

Astronomy Turf Football, amazing in the air, shit on grass

Ah, that clears up some questions I had.

I run with Plumstead Runners who run out of BSC. We got told at our last meeting that there was an EGM called for Sunday but I was away and a good few of us were down running the Brighton Marathon.

We was told to attend if we could but the committee couldnt tell us because of a non-disclosure agreement in place.
  • Much the same ideas I had, for if I somehow won the euromillions. If Goldberg's plans happen it could be a very good new beginning for the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• For a moment there I thought they'd already announced that charlton will be sharing welling's ground next season now that we have so few season ticket holders
  • Thought I'd clicked into another thread when I read the opening post and so didn't see mention of welling and thought it was about us and was astounded at the placid reactions and lack of WTFs
  • Has he got the money? Last time I met him it did not appear so. I suppose needs planning permission so he can borrow the money.
  • ads said:

Astronomy Turf Football, amazing in the air, shit on grass

Great for creating space off the ball, but no atmosphere in the stadium.

• clive said:
    Was chatting to one of their ex medical staff over the summer and he was amazed at the players they were bringing in due to the costs involved. Looks like he was right
  • When Goldberg arrived at Welling he spoke of buying the sports club next door, turning the pitch round and building a brand new stadium.

He's massively changed his tune.
  • Bexleyheath CC, great Sunday venue, can't be getting rid of that
  • Leuth said:

Bexleyheath CC, great Sunday venue, can't be getting rid of that

As part of the plans the Bexleyheath CC were incorporated. Seems like it is all irrelevant at the moment
  • I don't know why Welling don't get a bigger crowd tbh! They're on a main road in a built-up area. You'd think they'd find a way to attract fans. Albeit the ones who aren't seduced by the bright lights of The Valley
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

I don't know why Welling don't get a bigger crowd tbh! They're on a main road in a built-up area. You'd think they'd find a way to attract fans. Albeit the ones who aren't seduced by the bright lights of The Valley

Its not an easy area to park around though like the Valley is it?

You've got plenty of buses that run down from Welling Station in the direction of Bexleyheath yet Crook Log Road is always extremely busy on a Saturday and can certainly take a while to get along it
  • The way Mark Goldberg failed Palace it wouldn’t surprise me he’ll do the same at Welling.
  • Leuth said:

I don't know why Welling don't get a bigger crowd tbh! They're on a main road in a built-up area. You'd think they'd find a way to attract fans. Albeit the ones who aren't seduced by the bright lights of The Valley

I take it you have never tried? A lot easier than the Valley.
  • JohnnyH2 said:

clive said:
    Was chatting to one of their ex medical staff over the summer and he was amazed at the players they were bringing in due to the costs involved. Looks like he was right
    Had a brief chat with him Saturday, and he mentioned that following losing to Woking in the FA Cup, and a early trophy exit, cuts had to be made.
    To be fair, nothing too severe in my opinion, and the manager still has a decent budget.
    You can see how tight things are over there though. One floodlight has 4 out of 6 lamps blown.
    Still, its good to see the money football generates in this country finding its way down to the lesser leagues.
  • edited January 2019

Leuth said:

I take it you have never tried? A lot easier than the Valley.
    Nope, always found it easier to walk straight down Gipsy Road and over the footbridge from where I used to live instead of driving to PVR - Didnt Curbs say that John Barnes found it easier to just park at the ground and then get a parking ticket when he made his first run out for the Reserves because he was struggling to find somewhere to park?

As for parking at the Valley always found it extremely easy to park down the same road every matchday since 2003 - Only time I've ever struggled was the Play-Off game against Shrewsbury because I was running really late and only JUST made Kick-Off
  • JohnnyH2 said:

clive said:
    Had a brief chat with him Saturday, and he mentioned that following losing to Woking in the FA Cup, and a early trophy exit, cuts had to be made.
    To be fair, nothing too severe in my opinion, and the manager still has a decent budget.
    You can see how tight things are over there though. One floodlight has 4 out of 6 lamps blown.
    Still, its good to see the money football generates in this country finding its way down to the lesser leagues.
    The problem is finding a decent electrician nowadays. So many cowboys around.
  • Welling play Harrow Borough in the London Senior Cup semi final tonight. As I live local I might pop along. 

• Just to be clear the game is at Harrow.
  • 1-0 welling. 
  • Harrow v welling