Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Last game of the season 'What if?

2»

Comments

• Yes, this scenario had gone through my mind. Never forget this bloke.

Technically, has he entered the playing area if he's not put a foot down on it?
  • Appears that, according to Pope and Solly, the rules have been changed and games would have to be replayed within 7 days, possibly behind closed doors.

Well if they did that I for one will be boycotting it.
  • robroy said:

Was thinking today.

What would happen if Burnely and Boro were neck and neck on the final day of the season and we invaded the pitch and the game was abandoned?

The Blackpool game where it happened Huddersfield got a 2-0 win.

Surely we would have to play the game again after the season! If the 2-0 gave Burnley the title over Boro, wound send shock-waves!

Its a good what if question

(apologies if this has been asked already)

It was awarded a draw. The football league set a dangerous precedent that day with their outcome as you cannot allow this sort of behaviour to go unchecked and what about us who travelled to pay to watch a match and got short-changed?.

You yourselves disrupted a match against Boro to your advantage and got the points. What is going on at your Club is not good and it is disgraceful that a Club such as yours and you the fans are in the situation you are. You cannot though go disrupting the match itself. Your problem is with the owners, not the Players or their opposition and the opposition fans who will support you off the pitch until you impact what they have paid good money to see.

For the record, we were in full support of the fans of Blackpool (I still am) and their plight including supporting them in their protests on the day. Wrong, just wrong what has and is going at Blackpool and in my opinion way, way worse than how your Club is being run.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/article/2015/football-league-statement-blackpool-v-huddersfield-2456549.aspx
    it was well known Blackpool fans would get on the pitch and have the match abandoned. if Huddersfield fans were stupid enough to bother going to a pointless game they knew would get abandoned then i dont have huge sympathy. somethings are more important in football than the finishing of one game.
    I agree that somethings in football are more important than the finishing of one game. What exactly though did the abandonment of this match and actions of the Blackpool fans achieve?. It was Blackpool's last match in a Championship relegation season and they were protesting at the owners and running of the Club. Where has it got them?.

Fast-forward one year and the Club are in the relegation places of the division below with another relegation looking likely and the same owners are still in place.

Look, I don't know the answer and way to approach situations like this. I do know that disrupting a football match (where the owner isn't even there!!??) is not the answer and will only get a Club's fans / protestors negative press from various quarters.
    Where did it get them ? What a strange comment. With that attitude nobody anywhere would ever protest against anything!
    Then in your next comments you say you fully supported Blackpool fans at the time. Doesn't make sense.
    My points in this thread are against disrupting a match itself (and questioning what this actually achieves / achieved as literally nothing has changed for them, another season, another relegation battle and same owners).

We supported them in pre-match demonstrations / activity outside the ground etc. In the ground, we wanted to watch the football match we had paid to see. That answers your question.

I am sure Brighton fans will be the same and I believe are joining you pre-match for your march, but they will not thank you if the match itself is disrupted / abandoned (and one of their Players pulls-up in a potential goal-scoring position because of a home fans whistle). As another Poster stated, in terms of demonstrations, there is a fine line between growing support for the cause or losing support depending on what action is taken.

But nothing has changed for them even after the pre match protests that you joined in with. You cannot say what's the point of one aspect of protesting as it didn't get them anywhere but not others. Either it was all a waste of time (which couldn't have been foreseen at the time) or it wasn't.
    Fair point!. Having a match abandoned as a result of off-field matters though is I am sure you agree an extreme level of demonstration / action and as such, one would like to think it was worthwhile and was the 'tipping point' around the regime caving-in. It wasn't here.

Pre or post match demonstrations do not impact on the match itself which in my opinion should be left alone unless it will absolutely be the reason for the demonstrators to achieve their objective. In which case you could argue it is extreme action worth taking. I suspect though the owner or CEO need to be in the stadium for this course of action to be worthwhile. Otherwise they wont give a toss from some sun-lounger somehwere.

Actually, what you seem to be saying is that you should only protest if your actions win the day. How would anyone know that prior to protesting ?!
    Yes, invading a pitch and having a game abandoned is extreme. But, such actions are taken out of desperation.
    I, as most Charlton fans do, now feel Blackpool fans desperation.
  • colin1961 said:

Plus the club would get a hefty fine or even points deduction for next season .....

We'll be heading for league 2 regardless of a points deduction.
  • mogodon said:

Appears that, according to Pope and Solly, the rules have been changed and games would have to be replayed within 7 days, possibly behind closed doors.

That would be interesting if (and it's a big if) that Charlton were leading 4-0 and the game was abandoned in the 89th minute. Surely, Brighton and Boro would object if giving Burnley a second chance behind closed doors altered the promotion outcome.
    If Charlton were leading 4-0 against Burnley anyone then I suspect match-fixing the imminent end of the world would be more of an issue than beach balls and pitch invasions.
  • robroy said:

Was thinking today.

What would happen if Burnely and Boro were neck and neck on the final day of the season and we invaded the pitch and the game was abandoned?

Surely we would have to play the game again after the season! If the 2-0 gave Burnley the title over Boro, wound send shock-waves!

It was awarded a draw. The football league set a dangerous precedent that day with their outcome as you cannot allow this sort of behaviour to go unchecked and what about us who travelled to pay to watch a match and got short-changed?.

You yourselves disrupted a match against Boro to your advantage and got the points. What is going on at your Club is not good and it is disgraceful that a Club such as yours and you the fans are in the situation you are. You cannot though go disrupting the match itself. Your problem is with the owners, not the Players or their opposition and the opposition fans who will support you off the pitch until you impact what they have paid good money to see.

For the record, we were in full support of the fans of Blackpool (I still am) and their plight including supporting them in their protests on the day. Wrong, just wrong what has and is going at Blackpool and in my opinion way, way worse than how your Club is being run.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/article/2015/football-league-statement-blackpool-v-huddersfield-2456549.aspx
    Why don't you let us worry about saving our football club. Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture, rather than worry about the immediate downsides. What is happening at Charlton, Blackpool and Villa could and most probably will happen to other clubs. The only way to stop it is to show that the most important part of football (the fans) won't stand for it. If a few games have to suffer for the good of our club, or in the future possibly your club or your friends club, then so be it!
  • Appears that, according to Pope and Solly, the rules have been changed and games would have to be replayed within 7 days, possibly behind closed doors.

Morgan Fox stated the same, Henry.

Said the players had been told to stay around until 13th May at the latest in case one of the 2 remaining home games has to be replayed.

Would seem rude not to disrupt the matches now...
  • robroy said:

Was thinking today.

Why don't you let us worry about saving our football club. Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture, rather than worry about the immediate downsides. What is happening at Charlton, Blackpool and Villa could and most probably will happen to other clubs. The only way to stop it is to show that the most important part of football (the fans) won't stand for it. If a few games have to suffer for the good of our club, or in the future possibly your club or your friends club, then so be it!

You have clearly not read my posts against this thread. Where you make reference to this sort of situation could happen to my Club also, the following extract is from one of my earlier posts in this thread (trust me, I am only too aware of seeing my Club on its arse and have total empathy with your situation):

we as a Club have in fairly recent years had our own challenges that saw us relegated from Championship football in 2001 and playing League 2 level in 2003 (that co-incided with a spell in administration).
  • robroy said:

Was thinking today.

You have clearly not read my posts against this thread. Where you make reference to this sort of situation could happen to my Club also, the following extract is from one of my earlier posts in this thread (trust me, I am only too aware of seeing my Club on its arse and have total empathy with your situation):

we as a Club have in fairly recent years had our own challenges that saw us relegated from Championship football in 2001 and playing League 2 level in 2003 (that co-incided with a spell in administration).
    I didn't say you didn't have empathy did I? I said that you need to see the bigger picture. And my comment still stands...this could happen to your club.....again!

Having experienced similar, you should be all the more aware that we need to look beyond just the odd fixture or result.

BTW i'm not interested in a tit for tat argument, just don't really get why you are telling us what we should or should not be doing.
  • Sponsored links:

• robroy said:

Was thinking today.

Your empathy is misplaced. These protests aren't about relegation or being skint. We have a very wealthy owner. Dropping a league or 2 and having a spell in administration does not compare with us, Blackpool or Villa.
    In fact, mere relegation wouldn't warrant protesting about on a large scale anyway.

That would be interesting if (and it's a big if) that Charlton were leading 4-0 and the game was abandoned in the 89th minute. Surely, Brighton and Boro would object if giving Burnley a second chance behind closed doors altered the promotion outcome.
    I don't know the rule but 4-0 to Charlton in the 89th minute is the dreams of mad men!
  • Burnley have sold out and are looking for more tickets. Watch out if you have a season ticket in the West Upper.
  • Disagree about pitch invasion during game! Do it after the game. Not our opponents fault we have wanker owners and the game should be played in a sporting manner. Saying that my brother who lives in Sussex and is a CAFC fan has jumped on the Brighton bandwagon so I hope we beat them.
  • C4FC4L1f3 said:

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AT THE VALLEY!

End of - No If's or But's :wink:

Not with you 'organising' it.