Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Last game of the season 'What if?

Was thinking today.

What would happen if Burnely and Boro were neck and neck on the final day of the season and we invaded the pitch and the game was abandoned?

The Blackpool game where it happened Huddersfield got a 2-0 win.

Surely we would have to play the game again after the season! If the 2-0 gave Burnley the title over Boro, wound send shock-waves!

Its a good what if question

(apologies if this has been asked already)

Comments

• If it was early in the game or the score could change and affect the outcome of the season then the game would be replayed (Brighton v York '96).

If late in the game and outcome unlikely to change then the score may stand (for example Burnley winning 6-0 and 1-0 would give them the title)
  • Yes, this scenario had gone through my mind. Never forget this bloke.
  • C4FC4L1f3 said:

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AT THE VALLEY!

End of - No If's or But's :wink:

Plus Burnley are pwopa norty

• robroy said:

Was thinking today.

What would happen if Burnely and Boro were neck and neck on the final day of the season and we invaded the pitch and the game was abandoned?

Surely we would have to play the game again after the season! If the 2-0 gave Burnley the title over Boro, wound send shock-waves!

It was awarded a draw. The football league set a dangerous precedent that day with their outcome as you cannot allow this sort of behaviour to go unchecked and what about us who travelled to pay to watch a match and got short-changed?.

You yourselves disrupted a match against Boro to your advantage and got the points. What is going on at your Club is not good and it is disgraceful that a Club such as yours and you the fans are in the situation you are. You cannot though go disrupting the match itself. Your problem is with the owners, not the Players or their opposition and the opposition fans who will support you off the pitch until you impact what they have paid good money to see.

For the record, we were in full support of the fans of Blackpool (I still am) and their plight including supporting them in their protests on the day. Wrong, just wrong what has and is going at Blackpool and in my opinion way, way worse than how your Club is being run.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/article/2015/football-league-statement-blackpool-v-huddersfield-2456549.aspx
    I generally agree with this (though Boro's off the field issues were far more significant).

As it happened, your game at Blackpool was meaningless for both teams so not finishing it was the easy way out - imagine how poor the attendance would have been if everyone had to return?

Our last 2 home games, Brighton and Burnley are both likely to be crucial, with 3 teams going for 2 automatic places, and we do have to be fair to both clubs.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd have thought Boro fans will be expecting us to disrupt both matches to even things up.
  • Appears that, according to Pope and Solly, the rules have been changed and games would have to be replayed within 7 days, possibly behind closed doors.
  • Would have to be replayed quick if it had play off repercussions
  • Appears that, according to Pope and Solly, the rules have been changed and games would have to be replayed within 7 days, possibly behind closed doors.

That would be interesting if (and it's a big if) that Charlton were leading 4-0 and the game was abandoned in the 89th minute. Surely, Brighton and Boro would object if giving Burnley a second chance behind closed doors altered the promotion outcome.

That would be interesting if (and it's a big if) that Charlton were leading 4-0 and the game was abandoned in the 89th minute. Surely, Brighton and Boro would object if giving Burnley a second chance behind closed doors altered the promotion outcome.
    I always thought that, if a game was abandoned after a certain stage, the result would stand...
  • If boro lost the title via 1 point because of our fans shenanigans then they will also be reflecting on that whistle blowing one on one incident.

They would really hate us. It would go down in history.

We could have a Rival...the A1 Derby!
  • robroy said:

Was thinking today.

It was awarded a draw. The football league set a dangerous precedent that day with their outcome as you cannot allow this sort of behaviour to go unchecked and what about us who travelled to pay to watch a match and got short-changed?.

You yourselves disrupted a match against Boro to your advantage and got the points. What is going on at your Club is not good and it is disgraceful that a Club such as yours and you the fans are in the situation you are. You cannot though go disrupting the match itself. Your problem is with the owners, not the Players or their opposition and the opposition fans who will support you off the pitch until you impact what they have paid good money to see.

For the record, we were in full support of the fans of Blackpool (I still am) and their plight including supporting them in their protests on the day. Wrong, just wrong what has and is going at Blackpool and in my opinion way, way worse than how your Club is being run.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/article/2015/football-league-statement-blackpool-v-huddersfield-2456549.aspx
    it was well known Blackpool fans would get on the pitch and have the match abandoned. if Huddersfield fans were stupid enough to bother going to a pointless game they knew would get abandoned then i dont have huge sympathy. somethings are more important in football than the finishing of one game.
    I would like to think that most Terriers fans went there knowing that, and were quite supportive of the Blackpool fans plight, were they not?
  • edited April 2016

robroy said:

Was thinking today.

it was well known Blackpool fans would get on the pitch and have the match abandoned. if Huddersfield fans were stupid enough to bother going to a pointless game they knew would get abandoned then i dont have huge sympathy. somethings are more important in football than the finishing of one game.
    I agree that somethings in football are more important than the finishing of one game. What exactly though did the abandonment of this match and actions of the Blackpool fans achieve?. It was Blackpool's last match in a Championship relegation season and they were protesting at the owners and running of the Club. Where has it got them?.

Fast-forward one year and the Club are in the relegation places of the division below with another relegation looking likely and the same owners are still in place.

Look, I don't know the answer and way to approach situations like this. I do know that disrupting a football match (where the owner isn't even there!!??) is not the answer and will only get a Club's fans / protestors negative press from various quarters.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2016

robroy said:

Was thinking today.

I agree that somethings in football are more important than the finishing of one game. What exactly though did the abandonment of this match and actions of the Blackpool fans achieve?. It was Blackpool's last match in a Championship relegation season and they were protesting at the owners and running of the Club. Where has it got them?.

Fast-forward one year and the Club are in the relegation places of the division below with another relegation looking likely and the same owners are still in place.

Look, I don't know the answer and way to approach situations like this. I do know that disrupting a football match (where the owner isn't even there!!??) is not the answer and will only get a Club negative press from various quarters.
    I've bolded two parts of your post as I feel the second answers the first. The act of getting the match abandoned undoubtedly got them more media attention, and largely that's a very important (and expensive) thing for a protest group to get. It may not be the most positive, but it raised awareness of their plight and most of the reaction I remember was actually very sympathetic.

I agree that, through no fault of their own, they're still in the same position - owned by a nutter and dropping down the leagues though.

Morgan Fox stated the same, Henry.

Said the players had been told to stay around until 13th May at the latest in case one of the 2 remaining home games has to be replayed.

So the club and the players are fearing a worse case scenario. Who said these numpties don't plan in advance?
  • LuckyReds said:

robroy said:

Was thinking today.

Look, I don't know the answer and way to approach situations like this. I do know that disrupting a football match (where the owner isn't even there!!??) is not the answer and will only get a Club negative press from various quarters.
    I've bolded two parts of your post as I feel the second answers the first. The act of getting the match abandoned undoubtedly got them more media attention, and largely that's a very important (and expensive) thing for a protest group to get. It may not be the most positive, but it raised awareness of their plight and most of the reaction I remember was actually very sympathetic.

I agree that, through no fault of their own, they're still in the same position - owned by a nutter and dropping down the leagues though.
    I think that such is the fantastic job that CARD has done, we have successfully gotten good, positive press attention and focus on our plight. I think to stage a pitch invasion, especially when it could dramatically affect the outcome of the league, is the wrong thing to do. @killerandflash articulated this better than I can.

As for the Town fans who "stupidly went to the match," I'd guess they'd probably booked tickets and travel well in advance.

The other thing I worry about is that if we start to take more drastic action, we potentially risk making new investors/owners think twice. When you're dealing with large scale demonstrations, it's such a fine line between constructive and disruptive, and that can be tipped one way of the other by the media, or even in the eyes of the beholders. Again, it's a huge credit to CARD that we don't have to worry about this now, but it's something that lingers in the back of my mind (and it may be that I'm paranoid I am paranoid, not sure if I'm wrong or not though).
  • robroy said:

Was thinking today.

Look, I don't know the answer and way to approach situations like this. I do know that disrupting a football match (where the owner isn't even there!!??) is not the answer and will only get a Club's fans / protestors negative press from various quarters.
    Where did it get them ? What a strange comment. With that attitude nobody anywhere would ever protest against anything!
    Then in your next comments you say you fully supported Blackpool fans at the time. Doesn't make sense.
  • robroy said:

Was thinking today.

Where did it get them ? What a strange comment. With that attitude nobody anywhere would ever protest against anything!
    Then in your next comments you say you fully supported Blackpool fans at the time. Doesn't make sense.
    My points in this thread are against disrupting a match itself (and questioning what this actually achieves / achieved as literally nothing has changed for them, another season, another relegation battle and same owners).

We supported them in pre-match demonstrations / activity outside the ground etc. In the ground, we wanted to watch the football match we had paid to see. That answers your question.

I am sure Brighton fans will be the same and I believe are joining you pre-match for your march, but they will not thank you if the match itself is disrupted / abandoned (and one of their Players pulls-up in a potential goal-scoring position because of a home fans whistle). As another Poster stated, in terms of demonstrations, there is a fine line between growing support for the cause or losing support depending on what action is taken.

• robroy said:

Was thinking today.

My points in this thread are against disrupting a match itself (and questioning what this actually achieves / achieved as literally nothing has changed for them, another season, another relegation battle and same owners).

We supported them in pre-match demonstrations / activity outside the ground etc. In the ground, we wanted to watch the football match we had paid to see. That answers your question.

I am sure Brighton fans will be the same and I believe are joining you pre-match for your march, but they will not thank you if the match itself is disrupted / abandoned (and one of their Players pulls-up in a potential goal-scoring position because of a home fans whistle). As another Poster stated, in terms of demonstrations, there is a fine line between growing support for the cause or losing support depending on what action is taken.

But nothing has changed for them even after the pre match protests that you joined in with. You cannot say what's the point of one aspect of protesting as it didn't get them anywhere but not others. Either it was all a waste of time (which couldn't have been foreseen at the time) or it wasn't.
  • robroy said:

Was thinking today.

But nothing has changed for them even after the pre match protests that you joined in with. You cannot say what's the point of one aspect of protesting as it didn't get them anywhere but not others. Either it was all a waste of time (which couldn't have been foreseen at the time) or it wasn't.
    Fair point!. Having a match abandoned as a result of off-field matters though is I am sure you agree an extreme level of demonstration / action and as such, one would like to think it was worthwhile and was the 'tipping point' around the regime caving-in. It wasn't here.

Pre or post match demonstrations do not impact on the match itself which in my opinion should be left alone unless it will absolutely be the reason for the demonstrators to achieve their objective. In which case you could argue it is extreme action worth taking. I suspect though the owner or CEO need to be in the stadium for this course of action to be worthwhile. Otherwise they wont give a toss from some sun-lounger somehwere.

• edited April 2016
    Protests at Standard Liege got their owner to sell the club. For that reason Town Fan, we shall continue.
  • Protests at Standard Liege got there owner to sell the club. For that reason Town Fan, we shall continue.

Absolutely and if you read my posts, I have not said at all that you should not continue with your protests. Of course you should contnue!. Just debating around method of protest as somebody that was involved in a very similar scenario with Blackpool and their last match of the season last year.

Doing nothing is not an option.

It would never happen but if you could get everybody to not go to home matches, that would be more powerful than attending (paying money to the regime) and disrupting. An empty stadium and continued loss of gate revenue and overall Club value will speak volumes.