Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Brighton | Sat 23 Apr | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Brighton & Hove Albion
Saturday 23 April 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Simon Hooper (Wiltshire)

Introduction

Last night shortly before 10pm the inevitably finally happened… Charlton Athletic returned to League One after a four year spell in the Championship… I can’t lie, despite always having the optimism that we’d survive I felt like a criminal standing on a scaffold, I knew the trap door would eventually open but constantly clung to the hope that there would be a reprieve… There will not be a reprieve… Down we go…!!

On a positive spin at least we now know our fate, we have three games left (we can’t finish lower than 23rd) yet all the hard work put down by Chris Powell, Johnnie Jackson, Yann Kermorgant four years ago has gone, it was all for nothing…

Starting with Brighton and Hove Albion this Saturday all we can do is enjoy the match without worrying about whether we’ll need to win to survive… Of course we’ll no doubt have the inevitable protests to look forward to.

The Opposition
Name: Brighton & Hove Albion | Manager: Chris Hughton
Ground: The AMEX Stadium | Nickname: The Seagulls

When the Addicks were relegated from the Championship in 2009, the fixture to be played this Saturday was a regular one for two seasons until Brighton deservedly won League One at a canter... Since that season, the Seagulls have been ever presents in the Championship and appear to be doing things the right way.

Their first season back in the Championship saw Brighton finish 10th, yet the following two seasons saw Brighton narrowly miss out on promotion to the Premier League after falling at the Play-Offs… Last season was certainly wakeup call (avoiding relegation by 6-points) and employing experienced Manager: Chris Hughton

Not only did he help them survive yet this season we’ve seen a dramatic turnaround from Brighton and going into the final three games they sit in joint second place, just two points from top spot and having scored nine goals in the last two games, a match against a relegated side is ideal for a run-in.

Just goes to show what can happen when you do things properly, despite pot holes on the way to success.

Charlton Team News
If producing a Match Preview prior to the press conferences was difficult earlier in the season it’s just become even more difficult now… With Relegation confirmed we’ll surely see many first-team players finding new clubs this summer so do we leave out those players (and so avoiding injury) or do we play them to showcase their “talents”.

Nick Pope (if he remains) will surely be our First-Team Goalkeeper for next season so you have to see him finishing the season in goal now whilst Harry Lennon is our sole Defender to commit to playing for a Charlton side in League One… In midfield Johnnie Jackson has also committed his future to the Addicks (which is no surprise) whilst we could also see Ahmed Kashi before the end of the season after being named on the substitutes bench last night.

Both Chris Solly (you’d hope will stay) and Johann Gudmundsson (you’d be shocked if he stayed) missed last night’s match so could return whilst as I mentioned in my opening piece for this section, will we see players playing for their futures or will we see a potential U21 side that’ll no doubt be relied upon for next year?

Pope
Solly … Fanni … Teixeira … Fox
Gudmundsson … Cousins … Jackson … Harriott
Lookman … Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Mitov … Lennon … Charles-Cook … Lapslie … Diarra … Kashi … Makienok

Prediction
Good luck to Brighton, have always felt an minor affinity to their club (partly because of their hatred of one our neighbours combined with their ground issues)… Would love to see them in the Premier League next season.

Comments

• edited April 2016

Charlton Athletic v Brighton & Hove Albion
    Saturday 23 April 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Simon Hooper (Wiltshire)

Pope
    Solly … Fanni … Teixeira … Fox
    Gudmundsson … Cousins … Jackson … Harriott
    Lookman … Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Mitov … Lennon … Charles-Cook … Lapslie … Diarra … Kashi … Makienok

Prediction
    0-5
    Think you've got the squad nailed down there, pressure's off we'll get dicked even more than before.

:cry:
  • couldn't give a flying.

drink and protest.

won't be throwing anything though as don't want to get banged up.
  • Bit of a non event for us, but a massively important game for Brighton.

We seem to have played them both times while they were bang in form, their mid season slump came just after our visit there

It'll be interesting whether we still play our loan players, it might depend on their clauses
  • 0-4 walkover
  • Won 6 of their last 7, only drawing to Burnley at home 2-2, scored 18 in those 7 games........ouch.

They will turn up to the valley thinking about their big game with Derby coming up and still give us a thumping. Will be absolute murder.
  • Over confidence from the Seagulls will result in 0-0 at halftime ...followed by five goals in the second half :wink:

Not that it matters, I'm looking far more forward to the protests.
  • Will Lookman play? There's no need to show off his talents as everyone connected to football knows about him now, even if they didn't before he won apprentice of the year. So, if he's not even on the bench, that will be an admission by the club that they're keeping him safe from harm with the intention of selling him in the summer, or even earlier.

We seem to have played them both times while they were bang in form, their mid season slump came just after our visit there

It'll be interesting whether we still play our loan players, it might depend on their clauses

what?

• I'll go on the pitch if the other 10,000 do :)
  • I'll go on the pitch if the other 10,000 do :)

You better hold off then because unless you are expecting away fans to join you it will be a long time before there are 10,000 Charlton fans actually in the stadium. It might say differently on paper though
  • Sponsored links:

what?

Didn't Sanogo have a clause which stated that the more we played him, the smaller share of his wages we'd have to pay?

Maybe some of our other loan players have clauses as well, no idea just speculating
  • Could JBG have a slight injury that will last the next three games?
  • ross1 said:

Could JBG have a slight injury that will last the next three games?

You read my mind, and Lookman whilst they wrap him in cotton wool to sell on.
  • Comfortable home win 4-0
  • ross1 said:

Could JBG have a slight injury that will last the next three games?

He'll probably play one game (to keep his match fitness up for the Euros)
  • Best play youngsters and players that might actually stay to give some game time too. Don't see the point of playing anyone else who is just going to leave at the end of the season.
  • Don't care about the score or the result....however best we can hope for is a point....match thread from 1.45
  • Roland, being the businessman he is, will have already instructed Riga to rest the players he is looking to sell.

It makes you cynical doesn't it?
  • Don't care about the score or the result....however best we can hope for is a point....match protest thread (with, perhaps, some football) from 1.45

In my world. :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Well, I'm predicting a shock 5-0 thrashing from Charlton, described the following morning in the Sunday Telegraph as "Pissing on Brighton's chips".
  • We are gonna get spanked. 0-4
  • edited April 2016

Didn't Sanogo have a clause which stated that the more we played him, the smaller share of his wages we'd have to pay?

'Five matches then free' - from a 'reliable source'!
  • I predict the game will finish ?

5.20PM, after the Boris Water Cannon is fired at the mob.

Result is that CAFC are docked points for next season,
    but the good news is that many of the wet blanket and thermos brigade
    get signed up for the Olympic Synchronised swimming squad.
  • Another usual 0-3 is due - I doubt playing for pride will enter the frame. Brighton will be working to hard to secure a result, so why would a down and out outfit bother.
  • I hope Brighton go up, but I would like us to give them a game(unlikely) , hopefully a decent game(unlikely) 2-3 away win.
  • CAFC XI buoyant amidst mayhem in the stands and win 5-0.
    Fanni hat-trick, the third a bicycle kick. Pope with a long one and JBG with a curler into the top corner from a corner.
  • Good that we have 2 home games to see teams with something to play for. Be a massive surprise to get anything but we won't, 3-1 to Brighton.
  • Looks like a banker away win 1-3