Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Friday Puzzler - Season tickets

A good ol' devils advocate question to end the week. No right or wrong answer, just interested in people's interpretation

If after all that has gone on since Roland acquired the club and Miere started running it, and all of the moans and complaints this has generated. If you provide backing to the regime by fronting up for a season ticket for next season, and the same key issues occur next season, do you....

a. :Lose some of your weight to moan / protest about it? You knew what and who you were backing and chose to crack on accept it

OR

b. Have just as much / if not more right to moan / protest about it. You showed 'loyalty' to the regime at the point it did not deserve it, and this has once again been taken for granted

OR

c. Continuing to give money to the regime and backing the regime are two completely independent points and should not be linked

OR

d. something else

Comments

• A good ol' devils advocate question to end the week. No right or wrong answer, just interested in people's interpretation

If after all that has gone on since Roland acquired the club and Miere started running it, and all of the moans and complaints this has generated. If you provide backing to the regime by fronting up for a season ticket for next season, and the same key issues occur next season, do you....

a. :Lose some of your weight to moan / protest about it? You knew what and who you were backing and chose to crack on accept it

OR

b. Have just as much / if not more right to moan / protest about it. You showed 'loyalty' to the regime at the point it did not deserve it, and this has once again been taken for granted

OR

c. Continuing to give money to the regime and backing the regime are two completely independent points and should not be linked

OR

d. something else

Fat chance of that mate.
  • C

I don't really don't think buying a season ticket (which I haven't, yet) means your "supporting" a regieme. I bought season tickets during the Jiminez era and didn't see it that way, however some might like to characterise it.
  • I don't really moan about it though, you all know me as the annoying positive guy so (A) for me...

I'm also that idiot who if this happens again will just sigh, facepalm and renew for more pain.
  • To use KM's example of the restaurant, if you don't like whats being served up in "Roly's Diner" and continue to eat there you shouldn't complain if you get food poisoning.
    On the flip side, I fully respect others right to attend the football at The Valley and understand how difficult it is to stop and believe they shouldn't be condemned for doing so.
  • A) If you purchase a season ticket you loose the right to moan and protest. It is clear there is no strategy in place to be competitive in league 1 next season.

By purchasing a season ticket before the start of the transfer window, you are paying to watch a team of youngsters and foreigners.
  • Right personally for me it is all of the above, I don't think you suffer from buying a season ticket and that you are backing the regime. Although I personally wouldn't buy a season ticket I can accept and understand why others will.
  • edited April 2016
    I would feel hypocritical buying a season in the current climate. I want Roland out and definitely will not give him any of my money to fund his worthless experiment, so I guess a) is the closest to that. To me, buying a season ticket is giving the regime permission to spend my money in any way they see fit. I do not give them that permission. That said, I bear no ill will towards any supporter that does renew, we each live by our own code and who am I to criticise the way they want to live their life?

• Do you have the right to moan and protest if you don't have a season ticket?
  • A) If you purchase a season ticket you loose the right to moan and protest. It is clear there is no strategy in place to be competitive in league 1 next season.

By purchasing a season ticket before the start of the transfer window, you are paying to watch a team of youngsters and foreigners.

Rubbish. I bet I'll be there protesting more than you. Infact I know I will, because I protest every game and more.
  • Sponsored links:

• So c in other words @Covered End :-)
  • edited April 2016

So c in other words @Covered End :-)

That's what I said :smile:

Am I allowed to protest inside the ground tomorrow ?
  • You can do what you like chief. You get the goat into the centre circle and I'll be getting the latex gloves
  • Another stupid thread to divide supporters
  • D) renew regardless because I want to watch football on a regular basis, have a deep rooted affinity with Charlton Athletic and will renew time and again until I have moved abroad or I am dead
  • Nobody loses their right to protest whatever they do but moaning is different I feel.

I do believe you lose that right to be taken seriously when you moan & want change from the endless terrible things the regime does if you continue to help fund their anti sport experiment with our club by supporting them with your money.

• Nobody loses their right to protest whatever they do but moaning is different I feel.

I do believe you lose that right to be taken seriously when you moan & want change from the endless terrible things the regime does if you continue to help fund their anti sport experiment with our club by supporting them with your money.

No more protests inside the stadium then.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2016
    All this stuff is certainly attacking my equilibrium and what is happening at Charlton I am finding tough. I am doing things oughtn't do, hating people I shouldn't hate and writing things I shouldn't write, and fretting about stuff I shouldn't fret about.
    I really hate this new reality and the impact it's having on me. More or less every day I hope for some good news and of course there isn't any which is further depressing.
    However like a lot of football fans I am also waiting and hoping. I yearn for the landscape to be very different in three months time, and for my internal struggle to be eased.
    Which makes me wonder if I buy a ticket to go to Charlton essentially for me and the fact that money goes to the regime is a kind of by-product of that.

No more protests inside the stadium then.
    Well personally I think they have done a great job of keeping morale up among the fans, so I support the protests but I don't believe they do anything that will force our owner to sell compared to the impact of losing all income from fans would.

So no if you want him gone your better off outside the Valley then inside paying Roland in my opinion.
  • seth plum said:

All this stuff is certainly attacking my equilibrium and what is happening at Charlton I am finding tough. I am doing things oughtn't do, hating people I shouldn't hate and writing things I shouldn't write, and fretting about stuff I shouldn't fret about.
    I really hate this new reality and the impact it's having on me. More or less every day I hope for some good news and of course there isn't any which is further depressing.
    However like a lot of football fans I am also waiting and hoping. I yearn for the landscape to be very different in three months time, and for my internal struggle to be eased.
    Which makes me wonder if I buy a ticket to go to Charlton essentially for me and the fact that money goes to the regime is a kind of by-product of that.

Totally understand you Seth and I admire your self introspection. I would only add that supporters who now buy season tickets or even match day ones are, in my opinion, helping unwillingly in sustaining the regime.
    Why not hold fire on the season ticket until the regime dramatically changes or sells out. If every present season ticket holder did this then a change would have more likelihood of happening.
  • edited April 2016
    seth plum said:

Jesus wept, this after a post insinuating a bloke dressed up in a cheap knight's outfit might be a danger to your children.

• Off_it said:

Everyone who disagrees with my point of view is a turncoat scab.

I haven't actually formulated my point of view yet, but the above point still stands. SCABS

I'm afraid I am a SCAB as of half an hour ago.

I have agonised long and hard about this decision but as there are only 4 seats available according to the website in my block I renewed earlier. I have sat where I sit for more than 10 years and like it there so I will be the one to lose out when my seat gets nabbed by somebody else.

I will be donating £50 (2 x £25 early bird discounts ) to the protest fund run by @Curb_It as the only reason I did it was to safeguard my seats not for any financial benefit. If I had season tickets in less populated areas then I would be boycotting with the best of them.

In answer to the question I'd say c) but others will doubtless disagree which is their prerogative.

• The issue of the season ticket boycott is that you should not then come to any games, as paying at the gate gives the regime more money. The knock on of this is that there is no one at Charlton games to protest then, and thus little impact on the press and the CEO, et al.
  • micks1950 said:

C) You're trying to simplify things that can't be simplified.

I bought a S/T under Glikstein, but didn't really support him.

I bought a S/T at Palace and no way did I support the move there.

I bought a S/T under Jimenez and Slater, but I didn't support them (as individuals).

I support Charlton. I go every game regardless, I always will. If I don't buy a S/T I will pay them far more, paying on the gate, will massively inconvenience myself & have a load of unnecessary hassle.

You shouldn't be dividing the support, even unintentionally.

The hard core supporters will always go.

I have no problem with anyone that doesn't want to renew or delay.

Everyone is right, because it's their decision and everyone has different circumstances.

Lets stick together, so that when RD has gone, hopefully the boycotters will return.

If our fans think that by renewing my S/T for the 44th season, I lose the right to protest, then I'll have to stop protesting. Beyond parody. On that basis there can be no more protests inside the ground.

I agree with all of the above - except not delaying.

The nasty little emails that the club have sent out this week show how important to them the 'deadline' is - and therefore how important to us as many people as possible delaying might be.
    The reason I renewed this week, is because there are 4 of us together in prime seats. I personally selected these seats when the Upper North was built. Everyone around us are S/T holders.

If we didn't renew and we go to every game, there's a very good chance at least one or more of the seats will go. I'm almost certain of it.

If we had loads of empty seats around us, we had no mates who we sit with, we didn't go to ALL the games, we didn't have the best seats, then I agree why renew ?

I also back 100% everyone that doesn't renew.

As I've said before it's akin to who went to Selhurst and who boycotted.

Neither were right or wrong.

If fans like me hadn't gone to every game, we may well have gone into administration and Charlton may not exist.

On the other hand if people hadn't boycotted, we may still be there now.

We're all correct, we all have different circumstances, we all have to do what we have to do.

NB I have 2 adult sons who have had S/T's since they were about 8 years old. (They don't sit with me).

One is renewing and one isn't. It's their choice.
    There are no prime seats in the Upper North.

I've just let go two seats in row B on the halfway line in the West Upper.

Would you consider donating the £100 you've saved to the protest fund?
  • Anyone renewing or buying a home ticket is funding the very regime that appears intent on destroying us through incompetence or indifference.

Logic dictates that the Belgian will more likely clear off if no one is paying him than if people continue to pay him even if they dress up as camels or wear black and white scarves after he's got their hard earned.

Utter senseless madness to fund this regime and probably materially damages the prospects and incentives of getting the owner gone regardless of how it's spun or attempted to be justified.