Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Powell to Southend?

Listening to Talkshite this morning (I know, I know, it wasn't for long - honest) there was a bloke on the Alan Brazil show reviewing the papers who reckoned he'd heard Phil Brown, current Southend manager, was being lined up to go back to his "beloved" Bolton and that Southend were casting eyes on Chris Powell as his replacement. And the Southend fans were warmly rubbing their hands at the prospect (as Powell is obviously warmly remembered there as well as here and Derby).

Probably nonsense but if true, will be not be that much fun watching them do the double over us next season.

Comments

• Just read a minute ago that Chris Wilder (Northampton) is being lined up for the Bolton job.

Southend would be a step down for Chris Powell but wouldnt be a bad place for him to go.
  • Listening to Talkshite this morning (I know, I know, it wasn't for long - honest) there was a bloke on the Alan Brazil show reviewing the papers who reckoned he'd heard Phil Brown, current Southend manager, was being lined up to go back to his "beloved" Bolton and that Southend were casting eyes on Chris Powell as his replacement. And the Southend fans were warmly rubbing their hands at the prospect (as Powell is obviously warmly remembered there as well as here and Derby).

Probably nonsense but if true, will be not be that much fun watching them do the double over us next season.

Not a bad bit of speculation. A bit of a stepdown for SCP, but maybe the level he needs to find his next job?
  • Sometimes a step down is never a bad thing though... Phil Brown did a good job @ Hull but then flopped so had to drop to League Two with Southend, he's now rebuilt his reputation and is now being tipped for the big jobs again.

Same might happen to Chris Powell... Especially if Roland buggers off!!
  • MrLargo said:

I like it. Keeps him involved in management, but at a level where we can tempt him back here when the Belgians have been ousted.

I like it!

And thanks Inspector Sands for posting that link. Very interesting.

Please take note Douchbag. A manager who had a big hand in putting together a team that looks likely to win the Premier League can see the huge merits in employing Powell.
  • The CEO at Southend knows CP quite well..............
  • Sometimes a step down is never a bad thing though... Phil Brown did a good job @ Hull but then flopped so had to drop to League Two with Southend, he's now rebuilt his reputation and is now being tipped for the big jobs again.

Same might happen to Chris Powell... Especially if Roland buggers off!!

Phil Brown is being linked with Bolton (his old club) but I'm not sure it's exactly a big job!
  • Just read a minute ago that Chris Wilder (Northampton) is being lined up for the Bolton job.

Southend would be a step down for Chris Powell but wouldnt be a bad place for him to go.

Chris Wilder, another former Charlton stalwart!
  • Sponsored links:

• I read somewhere that Kevin Nolan was in the frame for the Bolton job .
  • The Guardian saying Powell to Villa as Pearson's assistant, which would make a lot of sense.
  • I read somewhere that Kevin Nolan was in the frame for the Bolton job .

Not likely. http://www.greenwich.co.uk/sport/ have him locked down on a multi-year contract.
  • Rob62 said:

The Guardian saying Powell to Villa as Pearson's assistant, which would make a lot of sense.

Why would Powell want to be an assistant after 4 years as a manager? It's not as if he was assistant (to Pearson) very long.
  • edited April 2016

Rob62 said:

The Guardian saying Powell to Villa as Pearson's assistant, which would make a lot of sense.

Why would Powell want to be an assistant after 4 years as a manager? It's not as if he was assistant (to Pearson) very long.
    True but Aston Villa are a big club. Still would be a tempting opportunity. He wouldn't be the first to go to a high profile number 2 job from being a number 1.
  • Rob62 said:

True but Aston Villa are a big club. Still would be a tempting opportunity. He wouldn't be the first to go to a high profile number 2 job from being a number 1.
    My thoughts exactly. Would be glad for him if he gets the job.
  • Rob62 said:

For a higher wage and less stress probably!

Can't see it myself, SCP is more suited as a figurehead decision-maker rather than a tactical, session-taking training ground coach imo

• Rob62 said:

He served as a player coach under Nigel Pearson.

He was then named caretaker manager after Sousa (Pearson's replacement) was sacked. Winning his only game in charge 3-1.

He was then one of Sven's top coaches. He was even documented as saying of Powell "will be a very good manager in the future".
  • Rob62 said:

Well he is currently out of work and it doesn't appear that he is drowning in job offers. His appointments thus far have ended abruptly and this could be a great way of keeping in the game whilst working with a very experienced manager. If they are successful, who knows what doors it could open for him. I know CP has worked with Pearson before, but I'm sure he'll look at many things differently having now managed himself. I think it could be a good move for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob62 said:

Aston Villa. Number two there is a big job.

• garfield said:

The CEO at Southend knows CP quite well..............

He has also said he would love to bring CP back to Southend, albeit he said it about 3 years ago
  • Rob62 said:

Villa is also a bit of a poisoned chalice. A club that's struggled for years, with a high turnover of managers, ropey squad, protesting supporters and an unpopular owner who's never there...
  • Villa need to sort themselves out above Management level first it seems...
  • Rob62 said:

Villa is also a bit of a poisoned chalice. A club that's struggled for years, with a high turnover of managers, ropey squad, protesting supporters and an unpopular owner who's never there...
    But still they're in a healthier state than us. If their owner brings in a good manager* who knows well the Championship and give him money to spend, then they have a good chance of going straight up. Neither of those will happen to us.

*Nigel Pearson with Chris Powell as his number two would be a very decent appointment I think.
  • Rob62 said:

But still they're in a healthier state than us. If their owner brings in a good manager* who knows well the Championship and give him money to spend, then they have a good chance of going straight up. Neither of those will happen to us.

*Nigel Pearson with Chris Powell as his number two would be a very decent appointment I think.
    I think we've got just as much chance of automatic promotion as Villa! Our season might have been dismal, but theirs has been far far worse, and they have a load of mediocre, disinterested players on high PL contracts

Sunderland or Norwich would stand a much better chance of bouncing straight back up.
  • Rob62 said:

Yeah, he shouldn't go to Villa. He should come back to Charlton instead........
  • edited April 2016
    colin1961 said:

MrLargo said:

I like it. Keeps him involved in management, but at a level where we can tempt him back here when the Belgians have been ousted.

Laughable
    And there you have it... A word of wisdom from the great man.

On a Seperate note, I hope you've got an umbrella today. Don't want you getting wet whilst stalking walking along Regent Street