Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I was there!

2»

Comments

• What @Big William said. Remember all our coaches were in a backyard for a good hour after the game. They were all lined up in a row and a Mexican wave went all the way from the front coach to the back one.

On the motorway on the way home a works van of Leeds scum pulled up alongside us and at approx 65 mph the back door opened and one of theirs proceeded to kick the coach two or three times. I kid you not.

As posted on a previous thread I was more scared at the Elland Road tie. Had only been married for two weeks and so relieved to see the coaches brought into the ground so no need to walk outside the stadium.
  • Not there in body but there in Spirit. Was Listening for the result on World Service crackling radio whilst a student in Montpellier. Many lagers were drunk in the Local - Bar de Musee that night I can tell you.
  • I woz there, along with bro's Large & JimmyMelrose.
  • I was there and still my favourite game ever (I was out of the country for the Sunderland game). I went with two Charlton fans and a Leeds supporter. I certainly kept quiet as I left the ground.
  • Went to Elland Rd for the 2nd leg, that was scary enough for me, doffs hat to all who went to St Andrews

Have never felt an atmosphere as intimidating as the one at Elland Road that night..
  • What @Big William said. Remember all our coaches were in a backyard for a good hour after the game. They were all lined up in a row and a Mexican wave went all the way from the front coach to the back one.

On the motorway on the way home a works van of Leeds scum pulled up alongside us and at approx 65 mph the back door opened and one of theirs proceeded to kick the coach two or three times. I kid you not.

As posted on a previous thread I was more scared at the Elland Road tie. Had only been married for two weeks and so relieved to see the coaches brought into the ground so no need to walk outside the stadium.

I don't remember that, but we did stop at a motorway services, and while we were milling around outside, someone did drive a van at us. Leeds fans always have been, and always will be total tools.
  • I was there and leaving the ground was terrifying. Some pissed yobbo from 'up north' came up to my dad and screamed 'fooking 5000 is that all you brought'?? Dad then replied in his poshest voice 'well never mind old bean - better luck next time!' It was so funny the bloke just stood there didn't have a clue what to say! If that wasn't bad enough we got lost - couldn't find the bloody car anywhere - took an hour and we were with other cafc fans too who were lost. Have to agree with Somerville that the Service station was something else as I saw that van coming towards us and I remember saying to my dad that I don't think they're stopping! Absolute nutters but a great evening when all said and done and a great fightback- shame that spirit is currently missing!
  • The Eltham Well Hall coach only got to the ground minutes before kick off that night and we had to leg it across some wasteland to get there on time
    On the way home sat in a traffic jam on the M1 or M6 a Leeds coach pulled up along side us and a few of our fans were giving them the thumbs down , next thing the Leeds scum were out of their emergency exit and banging on our coach , our driver made a quick decision and shot off down the hard shoulder to escape
    further on and we pulled in to a service station and swiftly pulled straight out without stopping when Leeds coaches were seen in there
    someone (else) must have wet themselves on the journey home that night !
  • Went by coach. Only just made it in time for kick off. Absolutely gutted when they scored but justice was done in the end.
  • Went to the Elland road game, but couldn't game get time off work for this one, am i right in thinking they were both in the same week (Tues and Fri)?
  • Sponsored links:

• Saturday was the Sehurst fixture, Monday the Elland road fixture and then the Friday was the St Andrews fixture
  • Saturday was the Sehurst fixture, Monday the Elland road fixture and then the Friday was the St Andrews fixture

Thought it was same week, gutted about missing the decider i should of thrown a sickie.

Knowledge!

How many did we take to Elland Road?
  • Off_it said:

Saturday was the Sehurst fixture, Monday the Elland road fixture and then the Friday was the St Andrews fixture

Knowledge!

500 went, 490 came home.
  • Off_it said:

Saturday was the Sehurst fixture, Monday the Elland road fixture and then the Friday was the St Andrews fixture

Knowledge!

500 went, 490 came home.
    Yes, but we ran them after the game - easy
  • Went to both. As has been said, the trip back down the M1 after St Andrews was 'fun'. Service stations were full of London Leeds, remember it kicking off in the car park.
  • On the way up there, our convoy of coaches pulled up on a roundabout just off the motorway and were held there by OB. We set off after a while and got to the ground just before kick off, we had to cross a patch of wasteland to get to the turnstiles.....I will admit that Custers last stand crossed my mind when someone pointed out we had to do the return journey after the match.
  • One nil down, two one up, Peter scored and we stayed up..........
    Standing ovation from Brum lining streets after game . Surreal night. Choosing St. Andrews as a "neutral" venue was ridiculous. Dirty Leeds I know who went had very hard time getting out of Brum. Also hard work being outnumbered going back to London by southern Leeds.
  • I was there with a bunch of pals, was a great night albeit a tad surreal we sat amongst a load of Leeds fans and could not really celebrate like we wanted too. That team has so much togetherness and Lawrence a great tactician.
  • Off_it said:

Was anyone on the same coach as me where a fella wanted a piss but the driver wouldnt stop, so he went in a plastic bag and then had to leg it back down the front with a leaking bag of piss so the driver could open the door and he threw it out as we sped along the motorway.

Oh, and we won!

Yes, I was on that one, unless it happened more than once.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2016
    Boysie said:

Went to Elland Rd for the 2nd leg, that was scary enough for me, doffs hat to all who went to St Andrews

Have never felt an atmosphere as intimidating as the one at Elland Road that night..
    With you on that one Robbie, walking/running back to the station was a cake walk compared to Elland Road.
    Not sure if you was with me after Birmingham, somehow we found ourselves near The Lyceum in London and Joanne Lumley walked passed........When the newsagents opened the next morning I went and bought every newspaper......nothing in there about me and Joanna...........
    ;-)

*an aside, anyone on here go to the reunion in the Trafalgar in Greenwich with Lennie, Garth, Colin, Bob and.... (Sorry, forgot our assistant managers name, Colin Clarke ?).
  • Also, think I chatted with Kevin Nolan on the train back.....We were talking about Stirtliff's shot and he'd already started work on his report, saying that it was a perfectly placed shot at St.Andrews, bringing golf into it.
    Funny, things you remember from 27 years ago............but can't remember last Thursday.
  • Sat at home in Sheff as a kid listened to local radio. Biased it was. Me and dad jumping around the room when Shirtliff did the business. Sure they could have heard my dad in SE7.
  • Boysie said:

Went to Elland Rd for the 2nd leg, that was scary enough for me, doffs hat to all who went to St Andrews

With you on that one Robbie, walking/running back to the station was a cake walk compared to Elland Road.
    Not sure if you was with me after Birmingham, somehow we found ourselves near The Lyceum in London and Joanne Lumley walked passed........When the newsagents opened the next morning I went and bought every newspaper......nothing in there about me and Joanna...........
    ;-)

*an aside, anyone on here go to the reunion in the Trafalgar in Greenwich with Lennie, Garth, Colin, Bob and.... (Sorry, forgot our assistant managers name, Colin Clarke ?).
    Brian Eastick
  • JohnnyH2 said:

Boysie said:

;-)

Brian Eastick
    Thank you.
  • Boysie said:

;-)

Not with you in Birmingham, mate. I was with the brothers from Walworth that night. Eventually got back to Euston at around 5am on possibly the last train out of New Street. Couldn't believe the chaos going on outside in the Bullring with Leeds and the Birmingham Zulus.