Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• great night.
  • And I was there.

I just watched the last 10 mins again. Brilliant.

Unforgettable night, brilliant & scary as well, outnumbered about 10 to 1.
  • I'm in there somewhere. Not sure what was more nerve wracking - that or Wembley.
  • What a night and as covered end says very scary!
  • That cross from Peake... what a peach. Absolutely screaming for someone to head it into the corner of the net.
  • Shitting ourselves running back to the station for our delayed train passing all those very unhappy Leeds fans....great night!
  • King hell .... 29 years ago
    What a night
    Leeds support was amazing considering this was when crowds were still small before SKY invented football
    I remember getting home having floated from well hall coach drop off down court road to Mottingham , putting the vhs recorder on to watch the highlights and only getting up to extra time cos my sister had recorded them on a tape that didn't have enough time left on it , I was fuming !
  • Haha. "A valiant effort by Leeds". Yeah, whatever mate. Maybe give some credit to the team that actually won the match. One eyed northern tosspot.
  • Was there also. Great night.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm in there somewhere. Not sure what was more nerve wracking - that or Wembley.

That game was more nerve wracking than Wembley.
  • I was there - very frightening afterwards - some very aggressive Leeds fans roaming around afterwards - I had made the decision not to wear any colours beforehand given their reputation & I was f'ing pleased I made the decision !!!

Probably rose tinted glasses, but we deserved to win
  • edited April 2016
    I was there on the terrace in the corner and the first time I saw the coverage was 4 o'clock the next morning after we got back. We managed to get four dodgy kebabs just as one of the late nighters in Welling was closing, the grub was probably as dangerous as St Andrews was that night. I'd say it was the tensest game I was ever at, the penalty shootout at Wembley probably matches it but the whole 120 minutes v Leeds was gut wrenching.
  • edited April 2016
    I

I'm in there somewhere. Not sure what was more nerve wracking - that or Wembley.

That game was more nerve wracking than Wembley.
    was living in Birmingham at the time so was there but wasn't behind the goal but in the main seated stand about 3 or 4 of us mixed in with Leeds fans. Seem to recall that Leeds had already assumed victory and had produced souvenir winning banners scarves and the like and even some literature.

Yes, I would say more nerve-wracking than Wembley and certainly more intimidating by far.

Still got the programme somewhere - must take another look
  • Most important game I've ever been too. I also remember rushing back to the station and being told by some BR goon that there were no more trains to London and pleading with him that there were tens of thousands of Leeds right behind us and then another train suddenly turned up.
  • edited April 2016
    cafckev said:

Shitting ourselves running back to the station for our delayed train passing all those very unhappy Leeds fans....great night!

I remember that - as I was leaving the ground a steward said run for you life. That is the most toxic atmosphere I have ever witnessed, even before the game. So many of the Leeds fans were total scum. I don't like to speak ill of the dead but I recall Bremner running on like an plane in front of us when they scored - as classless an act as I have seen from a manager. It made victory all the more sweet.
  • Not only was I not there, but I had to go out for a family meal. We got home and I watched the last ten minutes on teletext. That's right. I sat and watched a tv screen that didn't change apart from for the Charlton score to ping from 0 to 1 and then 1 to 2. The celebrations were epic.
  • Went to the Regency night club in Chatham that night to celebrate my mates 21st...but the real celebration was beating Leeds....how many Charlton there, didn't look like more then 1500?
  • 1,558 I counted them ... And about 18k of dirty Leeds scum
  • As other posters have said crackin night but they trip back to the station was a mission.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was there. Aggro with Birmingham on the way back to the station, not Leeds. They were still locked in whilst we made our escape.
  • Wasn't there but seem to remember listening to a live commentary on the radio.
  • Went to Elland Rd for the 2nd leg, that was scary enough for me, doffs hat to all who went to St Andrews
  • One worrying thing given our current plight is that my dad, who was a regular throughout the 70s, didn't even seem to know that there was a game one, so detached had he become.
    He did swear profusely when the screen came up showing 1-0 though, which was a nice moment for a kid to enjoy.

• Was anyone on the same coach as me where a fella wanted a piss but the driver wouldnt stop, so he went in a plastic bag and then had to leg it back down the front with a leaking bag of piss so the driver could open the door and he threw it out as we sped along the motorway.

Oh, and we won!
  • Went eland road but not to this one. Me and my mate listened to a live commentary. No idea what station was broadcasting.
  • How I got out of there alive I don't know. Scary atmosphere. We had players then with a bucket load of character. Lennie Lawrence was such a great Manager. How he got us promoted after leaving the Valley, spending hardly any money I don't know.
  • MrOneLung said:

Went eland road but not to this one. Me and my mate listened to a live commentary. No idea what station was broadcasting.

Me and dad were camped around a wireless that night with a bowl of chips.
  • 1,558 I counted them ... And about 18k of dirty Leeds scum

18007 - I counted the Leeds fans.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

MrOneLung said:

Went eland road but not to this one. Me and my mate listened to a live commentary. No idea what station was broadcasting.

Me and dad were camped around a wireless that night with a bowl of chips.
    I bet you had more than 14 chips as well