Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Grand National, Aintree, 2016 - Race horse Death watch

Two days in, four dead.
Here's a list of those unfortunate race horses that have died at the 2016 Grand National meeting at Aintree race course.
'Grand' is a misnomer, of course. There's nothing grand in the organised abuse that is Jump racing.
Race horses are bred by speculators with the aim of making money. Deaths are spoken of as 'an unfortunate aspect'.
Jump racing is not sport - it is abuse. Please don't bet on cruelty.

Dene Stansall, Animal Aid’s Horseracing Consultant said:
‘The Aintree authorities and the official industry regulator, the British Horseracing Authority, have sought, over the last two years, to lure the public into believing that equine deaths at Aintree were now to be thought of as a rarity in this modern age. But history shows that, over the long term, the Grand National Course continues to be a perversely harsh test for horses, and one that often proves lethal. Making horses race on that course does not add up to a sporting spectacle, but the most selfish form of animal abuse.’

7th April 2016

Clonbanan Lad (IRE)
Discipline: National Hunt Chase
Cause of death: Pulled Up - Fatally Injured

Marasonnien (FR)
Cause of death: Pulled Up - Fatally Injured

8th April

Minella Reception (IRE)
Cause of death: Fell - Dead

Gullinbursti (IRE)
Cause of death: Fell - Broke Neck - Dead

For further information, see: horsedeathwatch.com/

Comments

• edited April 2016
  • Oooooh flag
  • If you are really opposed to horse racing, then start a thread. Why not. If it bothers you, don't read it. It's obvious what the thread is about
  • especially from posters who put a lot of time, effort and love into their own race horses.

How much effort do you put into your race horse?
  • You don't much like inconvenient facts, do you? You'd much rather your 'Business as usual'.
    I have not interfered with the 'Official' Grand National CL thread. ('Official' says who?)
    Just accept that the old ways are being challenged, even if you don't like it.

Me. Problem with that?
  • Escalating....
  • Sponsored links:

• especially from posters who put a lot of time, effort and love into their own race horses.

How much effort do you put into your race horse?
    I don't own a race horse. What's your point???
  • 'Real' cases. So what of the 1,378 deaths since Horse Death Watch was established? What were they? Unreal?

Real, extremely sad, a tiny fraction of animal deaths and not examples of animal abuse. It really does eat you up doesn't it?
  • edited April 2016

I think Anna Kissed has every right to raise awareness to something that gets barely any coverage compared to the drunken scantily clad women that rock up every year. What's more important?!
    If you don't agree then don't read it. It's tragic this thread has to exist in the first place. Surely you would agree it would be best to have no deaths in horse racing.
    I have been to plenty of horse racing events and have enjoyed the day outs immensly and had a bet but do have guilt over the deaths of horses esp during the national and wish it could be prevented.

No room for voices of reason reflecting the shades of grey around this subject suzi. Surely you realise this is a black and white subject and that you are either sexually excited by horses being shot, or are completely detached from reality and want to live in a world where we are subservient to a race of supreme equine overlords. Pick a side suzi or get off this thread please.
  • If he is just a WUM Gary then the best way to deal with him is to ignore him. Getting people wound up is exactly what WUMs get their kicks from, the clues in the name.
  • To be fair, I respect the sentiments of the original post as it not an issue to be taken lightly.

But in the grand old scheme of things it's a long way down on my "importance radar".

Sorry and all that, but that's just the way it is.

• Feel like I've been told off by my mum and dad. Sorry.
  • Sponsored links:

• The sad thing is you really dont wish that
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!