Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Former Brighton and Bristol City recruitment Chiefs of interest to Charlton

2»

Comments

• Ex-Manchester United chief scout Robbie Cooke is the new frontrunner to become the new Head of Recruitment at Charlton Athletic, according to the South London Press.

Cooke was previously David Moyes’ right hand man during his reign with the Red Devils and Everton.

The scout is thought to be responsible for identifying Wayne Rooney’s potential after bursting onto the scene during the 2002 campaign.

The talent spotter has been out of work since Real Sociedad sacked David Moyes in November 2015.
  • edited April 2016
    Identified Wayne Rooney's potential after bursting onto the scene in 2002. What after scoring the goal against Arsenal as a 16-y-o? Wow, he must be sharp.

The scout who recommended Rooney to Everton is the one we want.

• It is just a club tempter to pretend that they are doing things a different way. They always do this - this high quality player, back room scout, head coach, director of football etc is coming to the club. Rarely happens.

I believe a high quality scout when it happens.
  • vff said:

It is just a club tempter to pretend that they are doing things a different way. They always do this - this high quality player, back room scout, head coach, director of football etc is coming to the club. Rarely happens.

I believe a high quality scout when it happens.

And when the scout is allowed to bring players in.
  • It's just spin to make us buy ST's - remember the Chelsea Doctor lady that we were going to hire ?

Well........ she is now a GP in Gibraltar - so our offer was obviously irresistible !
  • cabbles said:

PL54 said:

Seem's from what I'm hearing the recruitment drive next season is going to be very different to this seasons, which is no good to us (in fact it's bad tbh) other than perhaps some better known players. It's just a tweak in the system to try make his plan work, not him succumbing to us or anything similar.

What an absolute disgrace it all is, fix something after you've broke it. The Club is broke, there's no fixing it under RD.

So what you have heard is that we are going to be better at recruitment and that is bad news ?

OiT

I reckon RD will dig his heels in personally.
    He can't do that until he visits Timpsons and has his shoes repaired properly. The duck tape wouldn't stand the strain.

• Tutt-Tutt said:

Identified Wayne Rooney's potential after bursting onto the scene in 2002. What after scoring the goal against Arsenal as a 16-y-o? Wow, he must be sharp.

The scout who recommended Rooney to Everton is the one we want.

Come out of retirement...
  • ross1 said:

Ex-Manchester United chief scout Robbie Cooke is the new frontrunner to become the new Head of Recruitment at Charlton Athletic, according to the South London Press.

Cooke was previously David Moyes’ right hand man during his reign with the Red Devils and Everton.

The scout is thought to be responsible for identifying Wayne Rooney’s potential after bursting onto the scene during the 2002 campaign.

The talent spotter has been out of work since Real Sociedad sacked David Moyes in November 2015.

My first ever game watching Charlton was an FA Cup game at Selhurst v Kettering Town. I was only very young at the time but have a memory of Robbie Cooke's name on the scoreboard after their goa. Is this the same guy? I seem to recall Steve Gritt scoring for us but remember nothing about the game. I think I spent most of the day watching the crowd!
  • shirty5 said:

JohnnyH2 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Cooke

Now being linked by the SLP

Moyes' scout at Preston, Everton and Man Utd

Played against us for Kettering in 89
    Just about to say the same myself. They also had a bloke up front that was about 60.
    Ernie Moss
    Ernie Moss used to bang 'em in for Chesterfield.

Robbie Cooke had a spell at Millwall apparently, but I don't remember him.
    Nothing to do with his scouting abilities but I saw a lot of Robbie Cooke when he was at Brentford and he was superb. Really quick, with a hard shot and a great finisher. Scored a tremendous goal at Wembley in a Freight Rover Final defeat to Wigan.

Also remember him before that when he played against us for Cambridge Utd. Think he might have scored at The Valley when we beat them 5-2 in the Flanagan return game.