Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Former Brighton and Bristol City recruitment Chiefs of interest to Charlton

Comments

• sammy391 said:

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=117111&headline=Exclusive: Former Brighton and Bristol City recruitment chiefs of interest to Charlton Athletic&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2016

Nice big picture of Naby Sarr when talking about expensive mistakes too!

Unfortunately, doesn't sound like club planning to be sold anytime soon...

Good news though that they seem to be targeting a British head of recruitment, as assuming most of the "stars" and short term players depart, we will need a lot of new players this summer
  • Given Burke's background with Southampton and Brighton, I'd say sign him up. Both clubs have good records of signing both domestic and foreign players who excel for them and then have high sell-on value.
  • vffvff
    edited April 2016
    Phil Chappell was chief scout, his advice didn't seem to count for much and there was still a lot of dubious players being recruited by the unnamed laptop scouter characters employed by Roland Duchatelet.

David Burke, was sacked for poor recruitment at Brighton and Brighton supporters blame him for nearly getting Brighton relegated. He will have fit in with all the other usual executives at the club not liked by the supporters.

Don't know about anything about Keith Burt from Bristol City but he knows league one.

Whilst Duchatelet and Meire is charge the club is fecked in any case so I am not sure what difference it all makes. It is the difference between a slow drive over the cliff or a fast one with David Burke in charge.
  • Seem's from what I'm hearing the recruitment drive next season is going to be very different to this seasons, which is no good to us (in fact it's bad tbh) other than perhaps some better known players. It's just a tweak in the system to try make his plan work, not him succumbing to us or anything similar.

What an absolute disgrace it all is, fix something after you've broke it. The Club is broke, there's no fixing it under RD.
  • Charlton of no interest to former brighton and bristol city recruitment chiefs?
  • I hear we've been linked with a bloke called 'Array Free Elk

Comes with a lot of credentials and a solid reputation honed using a laptop
  • Sponsored links:

• I heard we are getting two scouts called Norfolk and Hope....
  • Pretty sure they meant Chef not Chief
  • Seem's from what I'm hearing the recruitment drive next season is going to be very different to this seasons, which is no good to us (in fact it's bad tbh) other than perhaps some better known players. It's just a tweak in the system to try make his plan work, not him succumbing to us or anything similar.

What an absolute disgrace it all is, fix something after you've broke it. The Club is broke, there's no fixing it under RD.

So what you have heard is that we are going to be better at recruitment and that is bad news ?

OiT

• vff said:

David Burke, was sacked for poor recruitment at Brighton and Brighton supporters blame him for nearly getting Brighton relegated.

Means he'll be cheap, which fulfils Roland's main criteria.

• vff said:

David Burke, was sacked for poor recruitment at Brighton and Brighton supporters blame him for nearly getting Brighton relegated. He will have fit in with all the other usual executives at the club not liked by the supporters.

Can you expand on this? I remember the year Brighton had a poor season from seemingly out of nowhere. Was that his only year in charge of recruitment? They'd had a good amount of success before and after on the recruitment front.
  • PL54 said:

Seem's from what I'm hearing the recruitment drive next season is going to be very different to this seasons, which is no good to us (in fact it's bad tbh) other than perhaps some better known players. It's just a tweak in the system to try make his plan work, not him succumbing to us or anything similar.

So what you have heard is that we are going to be better at recruitment and that is bad news ?

OiT

I reckon RD will dig his heels in personally. I think he'll just tell Riga to make do with the youth. He's looking at a hefty loss on this club as it is. I don't think he'll want to invest anymore in the playing squad and I also think it will be his f*** you to the fans for the protests
  • PL54 said:

Seem's from what I'm hearing the recruitment drive next season is going to be very different to this seasons, which is no good to us (in fact it's bad tbh) other than perhaps some better known players. It's just a tweak in the system to try make his plan work, not him succumbing to us or anything similar.

OiT

Shame it took relegation to teach Roly what was apparent to everyone else, that his methods don't work. But I have a crazy idea why not employ a manager and simply let him pick his own players?
  • edited April 2016
    cabbles said:

PL54 said:

OiT

I reckon RD will dig his heels in personally. I think he'll just tell Riga to make do with the youth. He's looking at a hefty loss on this club as it is. I don't think he'll want to invest anymore in the playing squad and I also think it will be his f*** you to the fans for the protests
    I can see the F you fans bit for sure
  • All it says is that it is ''understood'' that Charlton ''admire'' both these people. Not sure at all that this = they will be recruited. Presumably they would want a decent salary + an agreed contract? Given the financial state the club will be in next season I'd suggest their coming to SE7 is unlikely.
  • Doesn't matter who we appoint in any scouting role if you're not going to let them identify good, experienced, British players who want paying what they're worth.
  • Sponsored links:

• From what I have read Burke would be a poor appointment, but then again he might need the gig at £60k per year, so all the agents and whisperers and so on will be delighted if he gets it.
    Think about it, who on earth working at Charlton is qualified enough to interview and appoint a head scout?
    May as well appoint Jonathan Acworth and have done with it.
  • They can scout all they like, Duchatelet still has the final say, backed up by his laptop wankers. His recruitment strategy (such as it is) will remain the same, only with an even smaller budget.
  • Burke is at Derby, is he really likely to leave to come to Charlton? He would be barking mad to do such a thing. Burt is slightly more feasible as he isn't in a job right now.

Smells like propaganda to tempt a few more fans into buying season tickets.
  • edited April 2016

Burke is at Derby, is he really likely to leave to come to Charlton? He would be barking mad to do such a thing. Burt is slightly more feasible as he isn't in a job right now.

Smells like propaganda to tempt a few more fans into buying season tickets.

There has been, is and will continue to be a load of old;
    spouted by the regime.

Believe it when it happens.
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Cooke

Now being linked by the SLP

Moyes' scout at Preston, Everton and Man Utd
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Cooke

Played against us for Kettering in 89
  • edited April 2016
    JohnnyH2 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Cooke

Just about to say the same myself. They also had a bloke up front that was about 60. Actually Google tells me he was 40 - Ernie Moss.
  • JohnnyH2 said:

Just about to say the same myself. They also had a bloke up front that was about 60.
    Ernie Moss
  • No matter what happens, i'd like to see Riga stay on.
  • shirty5 said:

JohnnyH2 said:

Just about to say the same myself. They also had a bloke up front that was about 60.
    Ernie Moss
    Ernie Moss used to bang 'em in for Chesterfield.

Robbie Cooke had a spell at Millwall apparently, but I don't remember him.