Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Richard Murray 25 Years with Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Am happy to remember the good things Richard Murray did for Charlton but when Curbishley left he let his heart rule his head and appointed the idiot that was Ian Dowie and it seems he has been unable to come to his senses ever since. Would now be more than happy to see the back of him and no doubt as soon as he has got his hands on his £3 million that is exactly what we will see. Still angry that he managed to get some value for his shares in the club mainly by ensuring all the small investors (me included) lost out and have nothing to show for their money apart from a worthless share certificate.
  • Relied heavily on Curbishley and Varney to build his reputation in good years,not forgetting that he invested £15+ in his own money to build the club.
    But he used a lot of other peoples cash to get there too, Chappel,Hatter,Hughes,Simons,Sumners and Whitehand combined invested more than he did and wrote most of it off when exiting and what about all those supporters who lost their equity.
    He has since sat on the coat tails of Slater and Co and current regime as either Director or Chairman, which illustrates his need to be involved and belief he knows best.
    Where was the planning for post Curbishley in the 7 golden Premier League years? There are similarities between Murray and Duchatelet,both stubborn in their beliefs and both majority shareholders who did it their way,difference is,Duchatelet is just losing his own money.

£15 - I knew he was tight, but that's taking the piss.
    Don't forget the +
  • iamdan said:

When the tough got going the wanker disappeared.

What he does in his spare time has nothing to do with you........
  • Relied heavily on Curbishley and Varney to build his reputation in good years,not forgetting that he invested £15+ in his own money to build the club.
    But he used a lot of other peoples cash to get there too, Chappel,Hatter,Hughes,Simons,Sumners and Whitehand combined invested more than he did and wrote most of it off when exiting and what about all those supporters who lost their equity.
    He has since sat on the coat tails of Slater and Co and current regime as either Director or Chairman, which illustrates his need to be involved and belief he knows best.
    Where was the planning for post Curbishley in the 7 golden Premier League years? There are similarities between Murray and Duchatelet,both stubborn in their beliefs and both majority shareholders who did it their way,difference is,Duchatelet is just losing his own money.

That's a very blunt, unequivocal, statement, which I presume you only make in possession of all the facts. Would you therefore care to lay them out for the rest of us to be educated by? Who put in what, and how much did each write off? I'm particularly interested in Chapple, personally.

You also completely forgot Mike Stevens.

• Its quite sad really how this in particular has turned out.

He is now supporting the indefensible and knows it for sure. It's gone on for too long for him to back out now. So he probably thinks.

We all think if he had any credibility left he should just resign, and maybe call up SLP spill some beans...maybe a lot harder to actually do that though, can't be easy.

It has got to the point where he can't do anything apart from stay stubborn and quiet as possible hoping the club will see a change in fortune.

His backs against the wall he's out of options and cant swallow his pride on this one. Also is in Roland's pocket and needs to earn a living.

I think it is a simple case that he's made some really really bad decisions that has massively dented his reputation among fans.

Does he go to games anymore?

£15 - I knew he was tight, but that's taking the piss.
    Don't forget the +
    £15 + 14 chips.
  • Sponsored links:

• sarge1g said:

Am happy to remember the good things Richard Murray did for Charlton but when Curbishley left he let his heart rule his head and appointed the idiot that was Ian Dowie and it seems he has been unable to come to his senses ever since. Would now be more than happy to see the back of him and no doubt as soon as he has got his hands on his £3 million that is exactly what we will see. Still angry that he managed to get some value for his shares in the club mainly by ensuring all the small investors (me included) lost out and have nothing to show for their money apart from a worthless share certificate.

I might send in my share certificate and ask how much it's worth. Odds on that RD/Squirrel Face have no idea there were even shares bought by fans, so might cause them a few minutes of panic. Only downside is the certificate is framed in my downstairs loo, so would need a great sacrifice on my part.
  • Dave2l said:

Can't derive any enjoyment if he does (not seen him for a few matches). A hostile crowd turning on the owners (and him at some protests), generally poor football and empty stands. Unless he has no heart he must look at the ground and think back to what it was like a decade ago and wonder how much responsibility he has for the dismal decline.
  • mogodon said:

Dave2l said:

Can't derive any enjoyment if he does (not seen him for a few matches). A hostile crowd turning on the owners (and him at some protests), generally poor football and empty stands. Unless he has no heart he must look at the ground and think back to what it was like a decade ago and wonder how much responsibility he has for the dismal decline.
    He was in his usual place under this regime, right next to KM at the Birmingham game.
  • JohnnyH2 said:

mogodon said:

Dave2l said:

He was in his usual place under this regime, right next to KM at the Birmingham game.
    It's hard to see them at all, what with the heavies surrounding them and their sitting so far back, and also the hail of beach/stress balls makes it hard to see them ...
  • So Pragueaddick,we know you love Richard Murray,now you have facts,no comments? BY the way I forgot Greg Bone,Gideon Franklin,and numerous Associate Directors at £500,000 a pop.
  • were you involved in the boardroom Davidsmith ?

• I always thought Chappell took a huge hit in terms of what he lost. Surprised it is questioned and would be like to know if this is not this case he lost a lot
  • Nice one Dickie, hope you are happy with yourself
  • No mortimer.but there were about 15 Board Members ,about 10 associate directors, plus exec's Varney,Capelin,Kavanagh,Waggert all with the info,plus share ownership was in every annual report as was convertible bond details, you don't have to be Clouseau to find it.
  • We are going to stay up Richard aren't we?
  • Sponsored links:

• Deserves lasting credit, as do others, for the move back to the Valley, the reconstruction of the club and the 1998 and 2000 promotions.

At the risk of provoking rage in certain quarters my view is that after 2004 the club directors became complacent - happy being in the Premiership and not thinking too much about how the game would evolve in the way it has and what would be needed to remain at that level. Hence the final years under Curbishley when we seemed to be on auto-pilot (the players certainly were, dutifully switching off each February and/or as soon as we reached 40 points) and the disastrous/unthinking decision to appoint Dowie followed by the panicky appointment of Reed.

In an ideal world we would have replaced Curbishley in 2004 with a manager who would have moved us up a gear. Could we not be where Leicester and Southampton are today?

Anyway........Not sure what his function has been since 2010 other than to provide PR for the owners.
  • RM stumbled upon Curbs who then made the dream possible. Curbs leaves and the beginning of the end! Nuff said
  • What's it like to be a hubristic senile lickspittle, Richard?
  • agree JohnnyH2. I could understand it if somehow his money was in danger and he was keeping an eye on it but that isn't the case. His money is ring fenced. He must be desperate to be Chairman and enjoy the kudos that brings, or brought.
  • So Pragueaddick,we know you love Richard Murray,now you have facts,no comments? BY the way I forgot Greg Bone,Gideon Franklin,and numerous Associate Directors at £500,000 a pop.

What a ridiculous assertion, and by the way who is this "we" you claim to speak for?

Nor @JohnnyH2 do I "question" the role of Derek Chappell. He appeared at the time in the last 20 years when I completely lost touch with whatever was going on in the boardroom. I do though think that if we are going to look back rationally over the last 10-15 years, and try to understand the mistakes made, and who made them (as opposed to just indulging in pathetic internet bullying) then the Chappell years have been completely underscrutinised.

• First 15 years bar Roger Alwen then in my opinion Murray would be the best board member in the 40+ years I have supported the club.

The last ten years have gone downhill since the strange appointment of Dowie, which still appears to be just to get at Jordan, in my opinion. and now standing by for the past year or two still believing that Duchaletet is the man.

What a ridiculous assertion, and by the way who is this "we" you claim to speak for?

Nor @JohnnyH2 do I "question" the role of Derek Chappell. He appeared at the time in the last 20 years when I completely lost touch with whatever was going on in the boardroom. I do though think that if we are going to look back rationally over the last 10-15 years, and try to understand the mistakes made, and who made them (as opposed to just indulging in pathetic internet bullying) then the Chappell years have been completely underscrutinised.

i was questioning why you doubted how much Chappell lost in money terms, which I assumed was fairly well known. When the rest of us plebs were having our shares wiped out in 2010 Chappell lost a big sum.

The Chappell period in 2008 was strange, particularly the meeting at Bromley were he said we will appoint Parky based on results, and he was then made perm after 0 wins, 3 draws and 5 defeats.

Murray did also imply in the same room 6 months later that Parky was finished and then retained the job for another 18 months ( and by then Murray was back in decision making position). Must be something about that room in Bickley & Wigmore!

• Hero to zero.

Very sad.
  • boggzy said:

What's it like to be a hubristic senile lickspittle, Richard?

Well, I can't speak for Murray, but Mrs cafcfan called me that this morning (not quite those words but I got the gist), and I'm quite happy most of the time.