Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Richard Murray 25 Years with Charlton Athletic

25 years since he joined the club's board today. Sum up his time over the whole 25 years not just the last 2.

Comments

• mascot88 said:

Spectacular first 15 years ... Utterly let down the club and supporters in the last 10

Fixed!

A classic case of an egotist needing suitable people around him to keep in check. Once left to his own devices in 2006, that was the end.

Where we are now is almost completely down to him.

• I don't know too much about Martin Simons... When and why did he leave the club?
  • Don't forget his interview on the day Curbs said goodbye:

"There will be something named after him (Curbs) here".

I asked Diana Ross about it and she said "I'm still waiting".

The East Stand should be renamed the 16-1 stand in his honour...
  • Sponsored links:

More chance of Miere having a stand named after her than Curbishley under this regime.
  • 'Still in credit' ???!!!
  • boggzy said:

'Still in credit' ???!!!

When you look at the full 25 years.

I also said badly tarnished!
  • Mackle said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Great quote from the Christopher Nolan Batman films which sadly sums him up... I do wonder if our demise wasnt helped by the death of his wife... In Curbishley's book she did seem to be the sensible one behind Richard and his plans

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Thief! I garnered at least 7 likes with that a few weeks ago!
    Didnt see your comment and I haven't got a single like :(
    Maybe it's because you aren't the hero that Charlton Life needs?
    Ah but I did put a coat around your shoulders and told you it would be okay!!
  • "So that's what that feels like."
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2016

Great quote from the Christopher Nolan Batman films which sadly sums him up... I do wonder if our demise wasnt helped by the death of his wife... In Curbishley's book she did seem to be the sensible one behind Richard and his plans

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

C'mon only need three more 'likes' on the above to really annoy Jimmy lets up the anti people ;)
  • seth plum said:

For me one of the saddest times for Richard, which I really wish hadn't happened, was the tragic accident, long illness, and loss of his wife.

Life is a journey, and 25 years is a massive chunk of life. People are complex and events can change them. I think Richard may well be like the rest of us, a decent bloke who has weaknesses, and wrestles with his own demons.

In terms of Charlton he oversaw a lot of good times and I am glad of that. Sadly he has been involved closely in the recent bad times, and his power and influence has diminished.

Unfortunately, and to carry on the comic book heroes theme, with great power comes great responsibility

Richard had a responsibility for the club and has let it down.

We spoke in the past on here about having a 'new broom' to sweep away the dead wood and cobwebs that had accumulated at the club. Unfortunately we have been stuck with the same Janitor in Richard Murray the whole time.

It is such a shame because without him we probably wouldn't have experienced those years in the Premier League, and the Valley would not look as it does now. So for me it's a thanks for the memories but you have now overstayed your welcome.
  • When the tough got going the wanker disappeared.
  • done great, appointed Dowie as revenge on Jordan, downhill from then on. I stopped believing anything he said after he said Parky was being sacked and then kept him on. Last two years have undone everything, and I mean everything, he achieved. In many respects he's worse than Roland.
  • Here's to the next 25......cheers Muzza.
  • Would the club be bold enough to present him with a silver salver during the half time interval at the next home game v Derby on Saturday week? Or even at the remaining two home games afterwards.

The crowd's reaction would be interesting if they decided to do this.
  • shirty5 said:

Would the club be bold enough to present him with a silver salver during the half time interval at the next home game v Derby on Saturday week? Or even at the remaining two home games afterwards.

The crowd's reaction would be interesting if they decided to do this.

Not even this bunch would be that stupid. Nor would Murray be daft enough to agree to it.
  • iamdan said:

When the tough got going the wanker disappeared.

No way to talk about Ben Roberts - he was a good GK coach.
  • Relied heavily on Curbishley and Varney to build his reputation in good years,not forgetting that he invested £15+ in his own money to build the club.
    But he used a lot of other peoples cash to get there too, Chappel,Hatter,Hughes,Simons,Sumners and Whitehand combined invested more than he did and wrote most of it off when exiting and what about all those supporters who lost their equity.
    He has since sat on the coat tails of Slater and Co and current regime as either Director or Chairman, which illustrates his need to be involved and belief he knows best.
    Where was the planning for post Curbishley in the 7 golden Premier League years? There are similarities between Murray and Duchatelet,both stubborn in their beliefs and both majority shareholders who did it their way,difference is,Duchatelet is just losing his own money.