Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Advice needed - car accident

2»

Comments

• Options

the incidents of undertaking are getting worse.

But the question remains... Why is someone having to undertake...
    Indeed. If someone is undertaking you, there's a pretty decent chance that you're in the wrong bloody lane!

• Options

Don't you just love the M25...avoid at all costs.

I find that the A2 is worse than the M25 these days
    Both are a dream compared to the North Circular
    Just a Traffic Light jungle that road isnt it?
  • Options
    The traffic in the lane was all moving approximately 60 due to an accident further up myself included and had left 2 car lenghts between myself and the further car. I hit the brakes as soons as i saw it happening but unfortunately my car just skidded and swerved into the back of it
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Indeed. If someone is undertaking you, there's a pretty decent chance that you're in the wrong bloody lane!

It's nearly three years since the Police were given the right to prosecute a driver for 'lane hogging'
    Although I cannot absolutely verify it. I believe so far there has been one prosecution for the offence.
  • Options
    Daggs said:

Rizzo said:

It's nearly three years since the Police were given the right to prosecute a driver for 'lane hogging'
    Although I cannot absolutely verify it. I believe so far there has been one prosecution for the offence.
    They've still got the right to do it in Kent havent they?
  • Options

The A2 is a nightmare between Falconwood and the Danson junction with people shooting up the quieter almost empty left lane which becomes the turn off.

yup, happens all the time
  • Options

Daggs said:

Rizzo said:

Why would Kent get an exception? It's the whole of England (Policing is a devolved matter)

• Options
    Daggs said:

Daggs said:

Rizzo said:

Why would Kent get an exception? It's the whole of England (Policing is a devolved matter)

I thought it was Kent Police doing it, hence why Kent police were the exception because they have no say in Sussex / Surrey etc.
  • Options

Hi, looking for some advice if anyone can help.
    I was involved in an accident on the m25 this afternoon, i ended up in the back of a jag which also hit a merc in front.
    The merc was originally behind me but the traffic was slow due to an accident further along. The merc was getting frustrated and sped along the next lane and cut between a van and another car.
    The van did not like this and zigzagged across the 4 lanes until he got in front of the merc and slammed his brakes. The merc stopped and the jag broke just in front of me. Unfortuntely my lil old fiat punto didnt react as quick and skidded across the tarmac. My car is a write off and the other two have scratches. The van was umharmed and sped off.
    The merc was a rental car being driven like a twat as agreed by myself and the jag but in the eyes of insurers i am to blame. Police are suppoesedly checking for cctv in which case i may be able to fight it.
    Has anyone had any dealings like this before or anyone have any advice. Im really panicking.
    Cheers
    Craig

A bit of advice for everyone. In a situation like that traffic jam, try if you can to leave as big a gap you can between yourself and the vehicle in front giving you more time to react. Someone may cut and if they do increase the gap again. If you can on a dry road have a 2 second time gap that allows you that time to react. On wet roads 4 seconds and on icy roads 10 seconds. Wet and icy roads take that bit longer. That is the case for any driving situation. For example on a motorway with a 2 second gap on a flowing road use for example a bridge and as soon as the vehicle in front passes under it say to yourself... "Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule." And if you get to the bridge before you finish saying that, then you are too close to that vehicle. That is because it takes around 2 seconds to say that.
  • Options

The A2 is a nightmare between Falconwood and the Danson junction with people shooting up the quieter almost empty left lane which becomes the turn off.

That is very true I notice that a lot on the A2 and one I notice on the A2 in the rush hours vehicles do tend to drive too close to one another. That is why much of the M25 has varivle speed limits and maybe it may help bringing the speed limit down to 40mph at times if not 30mph. But then again that could defeat the object of a by pass. But at the minute on the A2 between Sun in the Sands in Blackheath and the tunnel under Eltham station there is speed limit of 30mph because of the roadworks with average speed limit checks. But the A2 is becoming more and more of a no go zone during rush hour anyway because that stretch is often at a standstill and usually stretches back along the A102 to Blackwall tunnel. And even trying to get up Shooters Hill takes ages.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The traffic in the lane was all moving approximately 60 due to an accident further up myself included and had left 2 car lenghts between myself and the further car. I hit the brakes as soons as i saw it happening but unfortunately my car just skidded and swerved into the back of it

You did the right thing by leaving two car lengths. You did the right thing but hitting the brakes straight away. So, if you still skidded, swerved and hit the car in front, you must have been going too fast.

But, as long as you're properly insured, you should be OK.

Drive slower in future!
  • Options

That is very true I notice that a lot on the A2 and one I notice on the A2 in the rush hours vehicles do tend to drive too close to one another. That is why much of the M25 has varivle speed limits and maybe it may help bringing the speed limit down to 40mph at times if not 30mph. But then again that could defeat the object of a by pass. But at the minute on the A2 between Sun in the Sands in Blackheath and the tunnel under Eltham station there is speed limit of 30mph because of the roadworks with average speed limit checks. But the A2 is becoming more and more of a no go zone during rush hour anyway because that stretch is often at a standstill and usually stretches back along the A102 to Blackwall tunnel. And even trying to get up Shooters Hill takes ages.
    Does anyone know what they're doing with those 30mph road works... For the last three home games now I've had to go at that speed and for the last three home games there has been absolutely ZERO work done or difference
  • Options
    Concertina shunts in traffic will be a thing of the past soon. Latest adaptive cruise control with radar technology automatically stops and starts in traffic at speeds up to 50mph. Only problem is it's Roland's microelectronics company supplies the chips that control the automation.
  • Options

Concertina shunts in traffic will be a thing of the past soon. Latest adaptive cruise control with radar technology automatically stops and starts in traffic at speeds up to 50mph. Only problem is it's Roland's microelectronics company supplies the chips that control the automation.

He'll supply each car dealer with some chips but they'll then have to move them around amongst all the cars in their area. Plus the chips won't be good enough for British roads.

• Options
    Daggs said:

Rizzo said:

It's the same old story though, wearing a seat belt, using a mobile phone etc. For the Police to prosecute the offender has to be caught. And to do that the offender needs to be seen. I genuinely cannot recall the last time I saw a Police car driving on a motorway
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

He'll supply each car dealer with some chips but they'll then have to move them around amongst all the cars in their area. Plus the chips won't be good enough for British roads.

And they'll only make 14 of them available.
  • Options

I was involved in an accident on the m25 this afternoon, i ended up in the back of a jag which also hit a merc in front.
    The merc was originally behind me but the traffic was slow due to an accident further along. The merc was getting frustrated and sped along the next lane and cut between a van and another car.
    The van did not like this and zigzagged across the 4 lanes until he got in front of the merc and slammed his brakes. The merc stopped and the jag broke just in front of me. Unfortuntely my lil old fiat punto didnt react as quick and skidded across the tarmac. My car is a write off and the other two have scratches. The van was umharmed and sped off.
    The merc was a rental car being driven like a twat as agreed by myself and the jag but in the eyes of insurers i am to blame. Police are suppoesedly checking for cctv in which case i may be able to fight it.
    Has anyone had any dealings like this before or anyone have any advice. Im really panicking.
    Cheers
    Craig

A bit of advice for everyone. In a situation like that traffic jam, try if you can to leave as big a gap you can between yourself and the vehicle in front giving you more time to react. Someone may cut and if they do increase the gap again. If you can on a dry road have a 2 second time gap that allows you that time to react. On wet roads 4 seconds and on icy roads 10 seconds. Wet and icy roads take that bit longer. That is the case for any driving situation. For example on a motorway with a 2 second gap on a flowing road use for example a bridge and as soon as the vehicle in front passes under it say to yourself... "Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule." And if you get to the bridge before you finish saying that, then you are too close to that vehicle. That is because it takes around 2 seconds to say that.
    A bit more advice. It was passed on to me at a defensive driving course. If you join a queue of traffic always stop so that you can still see a bit of road between you and the car in front. This for two reasons. first it gives you a little bit of room to creep up if you can see that the vehicle behind you is unlikely to stop in time and, second, in the event that there is a road rage incident or other dangerous situation, it gives you sufficient space to take evasive action by pulling out of the lane at full pelt.
  • Options

Does anyone know what they're doing with those 30mph road works... For the last three home games now I've had to go at that speed and for the last three home games there has been absolutely ZERO work done or difference
    That is because they are awlays having tea breaks.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Cheers
    Craig

A bit more advice. It was passed on to me at a defensive driving course. If you join a queue of traffic always stop so that you can still see a bit of road between you and the car in front. This for two reasons. first it gives you a little bit of room to creep up if you can see that the vehicle behind you is unlikely to stop in time and, second, in the event that there is a road rage incident or other dangerous situation, it gives you sufficient space to take evasive action by pulling out of the lane at full pelt.
    TRUE
  • Options

Whatever happened to the cones hotline @cafcfan ?