Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What if?

2»

Comments

• Rob62 said:

waldo said:

I have posed a similar question on another post but asked what would/could have been different if Riga had not been 'dumped' after his first tenure? Was that another massive mistake by RD and KM?

It was nothing to do with Meire. She was totally gutted by Roland's decision.
    Not what she told me coming back from Blackburn last season.
  • I honesty expected the follow on from "what if?" to be "your sister really is your mother"

Weirdly (uniquely?), this was actually the case for my grandad. True story.
  • johnny73 said:

I honesty expected the follow on from "what if?" to be "your sister really is your mother"

But was his father his brother?
  • edited April 2016

johnny73 said:

I honesty expected the follow on from "what if?" to be "your sister really is your mother"

But was his father his brother?
    Thankfully she didn't have a brother. However no one knows who the real father was.
  • rikofold said:

At some point the reality has to set in. It's not just the managers - it's what they're given to work with. Fraeye had such a poor set of fit players to choose from he didn't stand a chance regardless of his ability.

I said at the start of this season that we would only do OK if the first xi stayed fit and suspension free, which was never going to happen. The squad had nothing but kids behind the first xi. Riga's been able to add players to bolster the squad but had Luzon been allowed to bring in the British players and those 3 or 4 extra players he talked about, maybe things would gave been different.

Whilst we're on if onlys, if only Powell had been given the chance to build on his squad...

Totally agree with your considered post Rik. I would also say that Athletico Charlton also makes some good points and here I can now add that one of the first things that Karel Fraeye said when I met him at the Cray Wanderers game was that the team was not fit enough for a Championship season.
    Unfortunately nearly all of the loan signings that followed (and who were not necessarily wanted) were also unfit for a variety of reasons.......
  • Like being Roger Johnson
  • Riga should have been retained in June 2014. Had that happened we would have avoided continual turmoil whilst new managers got used to the squad and made initial mistakes as they learned about UK football. We might have not done spectacularly well but we'd have avoided all the relegation battles.

Didn't his points tally over the final third in 2013-2014 = 72 points if taken across the entire season? That's Play Offs form.

Very stupid decision not to confirm him in place.
  • Rob62 said:

waldo said:

I have posed a similar question on another post but asked what would/could have been different if Riga had not been 'dumped' after his first tenure? Was that another massive mistake by RD and KM?

Pray tell, ElfsborgAddick.

( That's if we're friends again :smile: )

• rikofold said:

At some point the reality has to set in. It's not just the managers - it's what they're given to work with. Fraeye had such a poor set of fit players to choose from he didn't stand a chance regardless of his ability.

I said at the start of this season that we would only do OK if the first xi stayed fit and suspension free, which was never going to happen. The squad had nothing but kids behind the first xi. Riga's been able to add players to bolster the squad but had Luzon been allowed to bring in the British players and those 3 or 4 extra players he talked about, maybe things would gave been different.

Whilst we're on if onlys, if only Powell had been given the chance to build on his squad...

Totally agree with your considered post Rik. I would also say that Athletico Charlton also makes some good points and here I can now add that one of the first things that Karel Fraeye said when I met him at the Cray Wanderers game was that the team was not fit enough for a Championship season.
    Unfortunately nearly all of the loan signings that followed (and who were not necessarily wanted) were also unfit for a variety of reasons.......
    In that case, you have to wonder what the logic of appointing him - and then keeping him - was? Were they trying to buy time, or looking for someone to take the flak before new signings arrived and they could find a new manager? If that was the case, then he was crazy to take the job (assuming he was given a choice) and they were a disgrace in putting him in it in the first place. Either way, it's almost guaranteed us Division 1 football next season.
  • mogodon said:

rikofold said:

In that case, you have to wonder what the logic of appointing him - and then keeping him - was? Were they trying to buy time, or looking for someone to take the flak before new signings arrived and they could find a new manager? If that was the case, then he was crazy to take the job (assuming he was given a choice) and they were a disgrace in putting him in it in the first place. Either way, it's almost guaranteed us Division 1 football next season.
    Logic is hard to find in Roland’s football world. One can only imagine what his reason for appointing coaches and then not backing them are. Karel Fraeye was kept in contract after his stint with Riga and was occupied at VW Hamme (who were willing to have him even when he could be recalled by RD at any time) while scouting and organising Alcorcon, with the possibility of using him elsewhere in his network when he felt the need. KF took the job on with the players that Guy Luzon had been left with, injuries and suspension made the job harder and he may have expected that suitable reinforcements of his choosing would come in the January window…….
    So, the question ‘was he crazy to take the job’ may really be changed to ‘was he crazy to trust Roland’. Anyway KF muddled through with what he had and when RD sacked him we were 3 (4) points from safety. It may be that KF was always going to be a real ‘interim’ appointment until RD thought that he did not need another coach and would appoint him….. But although KM and RM wanted him to stay and agreed to bring in Yann and others (allegedly…), RD changed his mind and wanted the Upjest bloke instead and did not want the players targeted.
    I digress probably, and one can argue that KF was not qualified and/or experienced to coach/manage at Charlton but I do not think that any coach, who would agree to work under RD’s regime, could have succeeded with the players GIVEN to him and this is the reason we are guaranteed Division 1 football next season.
    Sorry if I have not understood and answered the wrong question Mogodon and I am happy to comment again if you want me to. Whatever I expect that I will get the customary lol from our Henry for it anyway!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2016

Rob62 said:

waldo said:

Pray tell, ElfsborgAddick.

( That's if we're friends again :smile: )

To bullet point.

Come back from having a pee on the train, approaching Euston.
    Clock squirrel face and seize an opportunity.
    I kept saying that success in employment can normally lead to promotion, in this case Riga should have been retained. I repeated this 3-4 times.
    Squirrel face kept repeating "yes he was rewarded, he was rewarded financially".

I would say you heard it here first, but the circulation of 50 read this in the Newshopper a week later.

When did we fall out by the way?
  • mogodon said:

rikofold said:

Logic is hard to find in Roland’s football world. One can only imagine what his reason for appointing coaches and then not backing them are. Karel Fraeye was kept in contract after his stint with Riga and was occupied at VW Hamme (who were willing to have him even when he could be recalled by RD at any time) while scouting and organising Alcorcon, with the possibility of using him elsewhere in his network when he felt the need. KF took the job on with the players that Guy Luzon had been left with, injuries and suspension made the job harder and he may have expected that suitable reinforcements of his choosing would come in the January window…….
    So, the question ‘was he crazy to take the job’ may really be changed to ‘was he crazy to trust Roland’. Anyway KF muddled through with what he had and when RD sacked him we were 3 (4) points from safety. It may be that KF was always going to be a real ‘interim’ appointment until RD thought that he did not need another coach and would appoint him….. But although KM and RM wanted him to stay and agreed to bring in Yann and others (allegedly…), RD changed his mind and wanted the Upjest bloke instead and did not want the players targeted.
    I digress probably, and one can argue that KF was not qualified and/or experienced to coach/manage at Charlton but I do not think that any coach, who would agree to work under RD’s regime, could have succeeded with the players GIVEN to him and this is the reason we are guaranteed Division 1 football next season.
    Sorry if I have not understood and answered the wrong question Mogodon and I am happy to comment again if you want me to. Whatever I expect that I will get the customary lol from our Henry for it anyway!
    There is no argument as to whether Fraeye was qualified or not.

Ffs, any football fan worth his salt would know he was not suitable for managing a Championship side.

Fraeye was a liability and should not have been working for us in ANY capacity.
  • If me dog had wheels he'd be a bike

Your dog only has two legs?

If me dog had wheels, he'd be a Corgi toy quadbike.
  • mogodon said:

rikofold said:

That makes sense, thank you. Clearly Fraeye was sent to VW Hamme as some kind of holding post after leaving Charlton - RD probably bought them a new TV for the club room as a thank you - which raises suspicions that Roland had him in mind for some time, again showing the claims of loads of applications after Luzon left as being another blatant lie (as if we didn't know it at the time).

I think everyone knew he was underqualified but those running the show hoped he would learn quickly and, aided by a few good results, win us over. Instead it was the catalyst to start the widespread protests as opposed to the loud grumbles which came before.

As for Fraeye, he must have hoped he was up to it and I don't blame him for grabbing the chance. Few of us offered something which would only come once in a lifetime would turn it down. His conduct at the end was poor but by then he realised he had been sold down the river by Roland ... as you say, he was never given the tools which would have given him a chance of success. Personally, I don't think he could have made a go of it whoever had been brought in ...