Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What if?

Do people think we would have stayed up if Riga came in straight after Luzon's departure?

I would be inclined to say we would have given that there were some very 'winnable' games during Fraeye's time in charge.

Out of all the boneheaded decisions these awful owners have made the decision to appoint Fraeye is by far the worst in my book.

*Sorry if this has already been discussed and i have missed it*

Comments

• It's a bit of a rhetorical question, as Riga was still working at Metz when Luzon was fired, so was not available. What we should have done was get one of the other decent managers who were available at that time (Pearson, Moyes, etc etc) and then (provided Roland gave him his backing) we really wouldn't have been anywhere near the bottom three.
  • Yes I think we would have...

Under Riga we've always been able to match up against the teams around us (Yeovil / Rotherham spring to mind) whilst we've only lost those games after really poor performances (e.g. Barnsley / Bristol City).

Too many times we've turned up each game and we've just rolled over, I just cant see that happening with Riga
  • edited April 2016
    I honesty expected the follow on from "what if?" to be "your sister really is your mother"
  • Pedro45 said:

It's a bit of a rhetorical question, as Riga was still working at Metz when Luzon was fired, so was not available. What we should have done was get one of the other decent managers who were available at that time (Pearson, Moyes, etc etc) and then (provided Roland gave him his backing) we really wouldn't have been anywhere near the bottom three.

LOL
  • Pedro45 said:

It's a bit of a rhetorical question, as Riga was still working at Metz when Luzon was fired, so was not available. What we should have done was get one of the other decent managers who were available at that time (Pearson, Moyes, etc etc) and then (provided Roland gave him his backing) we really wouldn't have been anywhere near the bottom three.

LOL
    I think the fan sofa has been given more backing than our managers.....
  • We would have stayed up with ANY competent manager in charge. Fraeye was guessing with his team selection and tactics, there was no real understanding of how to set up a team and certainly no idea of what to do when we went behind. Putting him in charge for so long was a catastrophic decision. Not only was he not cut out for the job, Roland thought he could sneak him in with the Interim tag, which shows us all that he takes us for mugs. He was clearly never a temporary manager, RD just thought he could pull the wool over our eyes.
  • I have posed a similar question on another post but asked what would/could have been different if Riga had not been 'dumped' after his first tenure? Was that another massive mistake by RD and KM?
  • waldo said:

I have posed a similar question on another post but asked what would/could have been different if Riga had not been 'dumped' after his first tenure? Was that another massive mistake by RD and KM?

Probably, but we will never know. It's hard to separate the poor management from the poor recruitment. We could look back at the beginning of this season and wonder whether Luzon would still be in charge if we'd been given a squad strong enough to survive the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• The bigger what if... if Riga had been left alone to do a job the first time around.
  • I for one am looking forward to hearing from any of the players who depart in the summer. Surely someone will have something to say?
  • Do people think we would have stayed up if Riga came in straight after Luzon's departure?

I would be inclined to say we would have given that there were some very 'winnable' games during Fraeye's time in charge.

Out of all the boneheaded decisions these awful owners have made the decision to appoint Fraeye is by far the worst in my book.

*Sorry if this has already been discussed and i have missed it*

Without question I think he would have had us pushing for 12th to 14th, however with these improvements could have been going top 10.

#notentirelymad
  • If me dog had wheels he'd be a bike
  • So since Riga took over in terms of pure points on the board, we have outperformed Bolton, matched the form of MKD but been left in the dust by Rotherham & Bristol City.

It's all been mediocre. Roland & his regime does mediocre well.

• Luzon is the worst manager we have had IMO, total and utter incompetence. The players did not get worked hard enough in pre season and never looked fit enough all season, he did not push for better/more players and did not bother scouting opposition. Fraeye is more a bus conductor than a manager. To give him the benefit of the doubt, since he left Riga has had Motta, Suk Young, Sonogo, Tex, Fanni plus a fit again Vetokele and Diarra to work with. That is more than half a team and even Fraeye would have been better with them.

The real issue is we should have gone I to the season with a competent manager and a squad similar to what it looks like now, we would then most likely be looking at upper mid table with a very outside shot at play offs rather than League One.

Trouble is at the end of the season we will jettison all out decent players and start again with more kids and rubbish like Sarr and Bergdich that no one else will take off us.

He'd be a dog with wheels Shirley?

• edited April 2016
    We can put out an eleven that is a match for most teams – but we haven’t been unlucky with injuries, as all teams get injuries. Instead we banked too much on being lucky with injuries, which isn't the same thing. Our problem has been lack of cover for them. Only recently has recruitment been correct and that was too late. We have dodged a bullet at right back for much of the season, due to Solly playing more games than could be expected – with Wilson gone, we didn’t have cover. We didn’t have adequate cover at centre half either and that did expose us when Bauer got injured. Also midfield. Cousins, Khasi and Diarra form a strong partnership, but then you get an injury and you have JJ whose legs have gone and is a sub or a starter only as part of a three, BA who is too inconsistent and……? We weren’t so lucky in these cases but you can’t just play youngsters to fill the gaps! The team that started against Preston was beaten before a ball was kicked – three left backs FFS! This has been the case in too many games and these points are the ones that make a difference. We had a few of those games last season, but nothing was learned!
  • We can put out an eleven that is a match for most teams – but we haven’t been unlucky with injuries, as all teams get injuries. Instead we banked too much on being lucky with injuries, Our problem has been lack of cover for them.

As much as I appreciate the rest of the post this is the solid point in it all.

We just did not buy/loan in adequate cover.
  • To even make this a question is to give Carol far too much credit. Of course we would have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Spread out lads.
  • Keep smiling.
  • iamdan said:

Spread out lads.

• At some point the reality has to set in. It's not just the managers - it's what they're given to work with. Fraeye had such a poor set of fit players to choose from he didn't stand a chance regardless of his ability.

I said at the start of this season that we would only do OK if the first xi stayed fit and suspension free, which was never going to happen. The squad had nothing but kids behind the first xi. Riga's been able to add players to bolster the squad but had Luzon been allowed to bring in the British players and those 3 or 4 extra players he talked about, maybe things would gave been different.

Whilst we're on if onlys, if only Powell had been given the chance to build on his squad...
  • The question not being asked is would Parkey have kept us up
  • edited April 2016
    waldo said:

I have posed a similar question on another post but asked what would/could have been different if Riga had not been 'dumped' after his first tenure? Was that another massive mistake by RD and KM?

It was nothing to do with Meire. She was totally gutted by Roland's decision.

Your dog only has two legs?

• Stayed up? Well, we'd have had a much better chance, but under no illusions we would not have been down there scrapping all the same. Would probably have been a good six to ten points better off, but let's not pretend we'd have been in the giddy heights of the top half.
  • Kiely#1 said:

I for one am looking forward to hearing from any of the players who depart in the summer. Surely someone will have something to say?

Suspect there'll be plenty of those to ask. But being professional footballers they tend not to go overboard in their comments - they never know when they might end up playing under some of the same people again - and generally only speak out near the end of their careers when looking for a quick pay day.

We also need to remember these are professionals. They play where they are paid. I would not be surprised if a fair number could not give a toss about the club and just want out as it is a fairly unpleasant place to be. Once they are out, they will move on ... and actually can't really blame them.