Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Riga - We need a miracle

"You have seen from that performance that we have the drive, will and commitment to fight until the end, until it is mathematically not possible. But we will need to create a miracle.

“We did very well and tried to play football while enduring a tough challenge. We created good opportunities and was strong both offensively and defensively.

“The only thing missing was the one goal and we deserved to take all three points. We were not lucky with the other results but we have to keep performing.”

“We are realistic on the situation and while, it’s a great performance, we have to only win matches, so we need a lot from the next six games."

Comments

• We do indeed.
  • When he says "miracle", he means "visionary". Step forward, Roland! Oh, wait......
  • It'll be ok guys, Roland doesn't do failure.
  • No Way Jose, we don't need miracles, we needs WINS...get 6 and we will stay up, get 5 and we will probably stay up, get 4 and we might have a chance if the other 2 games produce a point or two...believe we can do it and go for it
  • Now we've sorted out the defence, we need lots of shooting practice this week.
  • Sponsored links:

• No Way Jose, we don't need miracles, we needs WINS...get 6 and we will stay up, get 5 and we will probably stay up, get 4 and we might have a chance if the other 2 games produce a point or two...believe we can do it and go for it

Maths seems to be your strong point, keep working on the psychology.
  • edited April 2016
    Meanwhile at Douchebag Towers...

"Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" "zzzzzzzzzzz"

Butler enters the room:

"Mr Roland... mr Roland" shakes RD

"Zzzzzzz Huh?"

"Mr Roland... Charlton only drew last night"

RD turns over:

"Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz "
  • jamescafc said:

I have always liked Jose Riga. It's a shame so many associate him with KM and RD. He has handled a difficult situation very well. It's such a shame he couldn't have another 5-8 games as I believe he'd have got us out of this mess.

Now we've sorted out the defence, we need lots of shooting practice this week.

As others have said it takes time to build a side, to get them playing how you want and bed players in, RD doesn't allow anybody time unless they don't warrant it. Players are moved on and brought in at an alarming rate, managers not given time to implement their ethos, unless their are one of Roly's pets and then they are afforded too much leeway.
  • The miracle would be that he has a serious set up behind him, but we have the RD machine, which wasted months on a good mate called Karel. Let's not go too OTT about this, Riga was also in charge for the Wendies away and MKD at home, but Rome wasn't built in a day and he seems to be getting on with the job. Really remains to see if he can build a side for next season with the rubbish we will be left with.
  • Only Roland would have put a failing manager from the Belgian Third Division in charge of a Championship club. We are now being relegated because of it. Nice one, Roly.
  • RedChaser said:

No Way Jose, we don't need miracles, we needs WINS...get 6 and we will stay up, get 5 and we will probably stay up, get 4 and we might have a chance if the other 2 games produce a point or two...believe we can do it and go for it

Keep it basic, it's points we need
  • Good Lourdes!
  • The miracle would be that he has a serious set up behind him, but we have the RD machine, which wasted months on a good mate called Karel. Let's not go too OTT about this, Riga was also in charge for the Wendies away and MKD at home, but Rome wasn't built in a day and he seems to be getting on with the job. Really remains to see if he can build a side for next season with the rubbish we will be left with.

Can't see Riga being here next season. Will probably be some other no-mark.
  • boggzy said:

The miracle would be that he has a serious set up behind him, but we have the RD machine, which wasted months on a good mate called Karel. Let's not go too OTT about this, Riga was also in charge for the Wendies away and MKD at home, but Rome wasn't built in a day and he seems to be getting on with the job. Really remains to see if he can build a side for next season with the rubbish we will be left with.

Can't see Riga being here next season. Will probably be some other no-mark.
    Sadly, I suspect this is true. The fact that Riga was not kept on in his first stint buys him some credit with me. The owner is either going to sell, Run the club down to compensate for loss of earnings or try to stabilise and accept some financial losses so we can have a decent chance of getting back up. I think we will get the middle option – unless they have really learned something. I doubt they have though.
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:

No Way Jose, we don't need miracles, we needs WINS...get 6 and we will stay up, get 5 and we will probably stay up, get 4 and we might have a chance if the other 2 games produce a point or two...believe we can do it and go for it

Keep it basic, it's points we need
    Really, well I never.
  • I think he said we need to create a miracle - which I presume is something he is trying to do.
  • I agree we will need a miracle in League 1 next season.
  • Riga is a good man & manager, our form now is right up there with the top 6 sides he just has not got enough games left to make this miracle happen. League 1 and a whole new squad next season I hope here is in charge with Jackson on the coaching staff as that will give us a fighting chance to having a good season. If he's not I dread to think the consequences.
  • Looking at how we prepared for this season fills me with dread for next.

Impossible to call what will be going through Rolands mind over the Summer, except maybe "I don't think we will have a friendly at St Truiden this summer".
  • edited April 2016
    25May98 said:

I think it is unfair to associate Jose with the regime too much. Sure, he has been and continues to be on RD's payroll but when questioned about coming back to Charlton he did say 'I'm doing this for Charlton, the club, the fans' etc...Not his exact words but he did seem to insinuate that he was not best of friends with Roland.

The form book shows he has managed to stop the rot and get us winning games. He's giving it a go and just maybe we can get those vital wins we need.

I'm right behind you Jose.

Agreed, I think his affinity for the club is genuine. I've been critical of his tactics and substitutions at times, but he is clearly a manager who has a specific gameplan for a match, and drills his team well to execute. The problem is that those kind of managers are good in the longer term, and when they have a pre-season to work with the team, but Riga didn't have that, and hasn't had a core group of players fully fit until now. That's not to mention how dreadful the mood of the players must have been when he took over, the week we lost to Colchester, Hudds, and Hull.

The alternative, which many like to point out, is someone like a Warnock or Sherwood or Redknapp who don't do tactics but "gee up the lads and get 'em to go out there and give it a go." I'm not convinced that would have worked with our squad, many of whom come from the continent where there is a heavier emphasis on tactics, shape, and position. In fact, I think those types will work for much longer, given how the game is changing.
  • edited April 2016

Riga is a good man & manager, our form now is right up there with the top 6 sides he just has not got enough games left to make this miracle happen. League 1 and a whole new squad next season I hope here is in charge with Jackson on the coaching staff as that will give us a fighting chance to having a good season. If he's not I dread to think the consequences.

Eh? How do you work that one out? There's been an improvement in points return of late based on the rubbish that went before but nearly all the top six sides have won more games than us (Hull are the same) over the last 10 played!

If the miracle we need now doesn't happen, don't hold your breath on JR performing one with the next hand he is dealt on the playing side.
  • Good Lourdes!

Are they part of the Network? good if they were