Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ipswich v Charlton | Tue 05 Apr | 7:45pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Ipswich Town v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 5 April 2016 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: Oliver Langford (West Midlands)

Introduction

August feels a million miles away yet it was only a few months ago that I sat down on a warm Friday night, switched on SkySports and watched Brighton beat Nottingham Forest 1-0 in what was the opening match of the Football League season… Fast forward to April 2016 and there are now just seven matches to go and it really does make you wonder where the season has gone, especially for us Charlton fans as it’s not been the calmest of seasons.

Concentrating on the games to come though; turning from impartial match previewer to another fan with an opinion, I said on a thread a few weeks ago that one tactic of Riga’s would be to concentrate on winning the remaining home games, whilst trying to ensure that we didn’t lose away from home… I may have been correct (I probably wasn’t) yet with just three home games remaining (that’s a possible nine points), that strategy is no longer an option; if Charlton want to remain in the Championship they not only need their rivals to start slipping up… We ourselves need to win away from home, starting tonight at Ipswich Town.

The Opposition
Name: Ipswich Town | Manager: Mick McCarthy
Ground: Portman Road | Nickname: The Tractor Boys

It’s only a short trip up the road from South East London for those going to Ipswich this evening but sadly that’s as good as it can get… Portman Road is not a very happy stomping ground for the Addicks over recent seasons and our last win there was four years ago in 2012… Since that day we’ve only picked up a solitary point whether it been home or away and our last two results have ended in a 3-0 defeat… Time to break with tradition!!

Thankfully there is a slight glimmer of light… One of the advantages of playing Birmingham City on Saturday was the fact that they needed the three points to remain in the Play-Off hunt, that left gaps for our players to exploit (and for once they did so), Ipswich are no different, their hopes of reaching the Play-Offs look like becoming a distant hope, should they attack, that should leave spaces for our own attempts forward (providing our Defence does its job).

Charlton Team News
So on to the group of players who can potentially bring three points back to London… Well in goal it would again be harsh to drop Nick Pope (who couldn’t do much about the goal on Saturday) so Stephen Henderson should remain on the bench rather than face an old side, in defence you can’t really see many changes; Chris Solly was left on the bench and again it would be incredibly harsh to drop Marco Motta.

It is the Midfield and Attack where we could see the changes, as mentioned by others; Ipswich Defenders are big and strong so will be dangerous from set-pieces yet won’t have the ability to manoeuvre against a quick attack (it was proven in the reverse fixture that they loved playing against the type of Striker like Simon Makienok or Yaya Sanogo who is available once more following his suspension)…

That leaves us with the three Strikers who ended the match on Saturday; there were concerns about Igor Vetokele who got clattered a few times yet with no noises coming out about any injuries you’d expect him to be okay to play a part tonight… The loudest calls will be from the fans as they shout for Ademola Lookman to start once again, an impressive 45mins on Saturday replacing the ineffective Yun Suk-Young could see him start tonight but we must remember that he is only 18-years old so seeing him starting from the bench won’t be a surprise despite the usual conspiracy theories.

Pope
Motta … Fanni … Teixeira … Fox
Gudmundsson … Cousins … Diarra … Lookman
Harriott … Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Henderson … Solly … Lennon … Young … Jackson … Makienok … Sanogo

Prediction
Ipswich Town 1-2 Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Pope
    Motta … Fanni … Teixeira … Fox
    Gudmundsson … Cousins … Diarra … Harriott
    Makienok … Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Henderson … Solly … Lennon … Young … Jackson … Lookman… Sanogo

Lookman to replace Harriott anywhere from 45-60 and Sanogo just after for Vetokele

Possibly Yun-Suk Young to replace Gudmundsson as he tires.

Prediction
    Ipswich Town 1-1 Charlton Athletic

• I thnk that was a big 90 minutes from Igor on Saturday, so he may be dropped to the bench for Sanogo. Darryl Murphy loves matching up on Chris Solly, but with Murphy (probably) out, I might be tempted to give Solly a game, and save Motta for Saturday? If Murphy plays, I want Motta in! I think Young will start, and Lookman will have to bide his time, as he did against Brum.

My team -

Pope
    Solly
    Fox
    Teixeira
    Fanni
    Gudmundsson
    Cousins
    Diarra
    Young
    Harriott
    Sanogo

Subs: Henderson, Motta, Lennon, Jackson, Lookman, Vetokele, Makienok.
  • Already up there in Ipswich, early start for me! Hope we get the 3 points but if they score first I can see it being a classic 3-0... ROLAND OUT, support the team and not the regime!
  • Mr Sensible, Mr Logical and Mr Rational all say "Look at the table, look at your remaining fixtures, look at Simon Makienok - you're doomed".

Mr Largo says "We could be a mere 3 points from safety if we turn up tonight. Please, not the pub league again, please!"

Probably yet another pathetic 3-0 defeat, but just maybe Jacko will pop up with a late header or a speculative long range effort with 5 minutes to go and we'll nick a 1-0 win.
  • Nice of you to turn up ON THE DAY with this FA ;)

I take your point about the big, brutish Ipswich defenders, but I think Sanogo has the mobility about them to both act as a focal point for the attack as well as cause the defense problems with his movement. I'd be tempted to throw him in, with Igor if he can play twice in three days, or Harriott if Igor starts from the bench. That said, the thought of Callum running at the Ipswich backline is intriguing. And there's a part of me that thinks Mak just might have a point to prove (he plays better when he's angry) and I hope he's chomping at the bit. It seems we have a bit of a selection headache.

As good as it sounds like Lookman was on Saturday, I wouldn't necessarily start him tonight. Ipswich have big, experienced Champo defenders, much like Bristol and Preston, and both caused Lookie all kinds of trouble. Bring him on in the second half to run at tiring legs.

Would be lovely if Murphy is out (hope you're not toying with me @Pedro45, but still, Ipswich have enough in attack that I think we need to have one "defensive winger," Yun, in to help provide extra cover.

Worried about being overrun in midfield with us playing a 4-4-2 against their 4-3-3. If Yun is on the left he can tuck in, and Callum will drop deep if he's starting up top, but it remains a concern. I'd be tempted to go 3-5-2 but I'm not convinced Harry Lennon is worth a place over Yun or Fox at the moment.

Decisions, decisions.
  • Calamity Harriott can't play up front (at all) after Saturday's hysterical débacle. Sanogo straight back in the team and Harriott maybe to the left side in place of the ineffective Yun. Lookman is obviously the best striker but we know his appearances are rationed, his involvement will be limited by Igor's fitness. Diarra's fitness has to be a concern - allowing him to play with a broken foot is cavalier at best and sounds more like lunacy.
    Henderson & Solly's "injuries" appear to be easing, based on their bench warming on Saturday.
    Add in Riga's acquiescense to whatever malign/insane influence holds sway over team selection and the one thing we can be sure of is the starting XI and subsequent substitutions will not make best use of the available resources. The result of the match will have more to do with Ipswich's performance, that of the officials and dumb luck with Charlton's squad a distant fourth place in deciding the outcome.
    I'll have my fingers, toes, eyes, etc crossed in sincere hope for 3 points but best odds 4-1 on an away win tells us all we really need to know.
    Keep smilin
  • Regarding Diarra's injury, I believe I've had something similar. 6-7 years ago I was playing footy, went to close down a man (got dragged disgustingly out of position, still bothers me to this day), and my knee went one way and my body the other. I tore a little bit of my ACL and some meniscus. About three months later a huge bump appeared on my leg just below the knee, and after doing X-rays, it turns out I had a slight fracture of the tibia. The bump was due to growth on the bone over the area, the body's way of protecting the broken area. It hurt like crazy sometimes, but I continued doing distance running because, as my doctor told me, once that bone growth is over the injury, the risk of re-injury is almost none, it just becomes a matter of pain management.

HUGE credit to Diarra for playing through that pain if this is indeed the case. Hopefully it's something where re-injuring it isn't a concern as much as pain management.
  • SDAddick said:

Nice of you to turn up ON THE DAY with this FA ;)

I take your point about the big, brutish Ipswich defenders, but I think Sanogo has the mobility about them to both act as a focal point for the attack as well as cause the defense problems with his movement. I'd be tempted to throw him in, with Igor if he can play twice in three days, or Harriott if Igor starts from the bench. That said, the thought of Callum running at the Ipswich backline is intriguing. And there's a part of me that thinks Mak just might have a point to prove (he plays better when he's angry) and I hope he's chomping at the bit. It seems we have a bit of a selection headache.

As good as it sounds like Lookman was on Saturday, I wouldn't necessarily start him tonight. Ipswich have big, experienced Champo defenders, much like Bristol and Preston, and both caused Lookie all kinds of trouble. Bring him on in the second half to run at tiring legs.

Would be lovely if Murphy is out (hope you're not toying with me @Pedro45, but still, Ipswich have enough in attack that I think we need to have one "defensive winger," Yun, in to help provide extra cover.

Worried about being overrun in midfield with us playing a 4-4-2 against their 4-3-3. If Yun is on the left he can tuck in, and Callum will drop deep if he's starting up top, but it remains a concern. I'd be tempted to go 3-5-2 but I'm not convinced Harry Lennon is worth a place over Yun or Fox at the moment.

Decisions, decisions.

He's been busy with his lawn mate
  • What worries me about the side that I've selected is I wonder who the Right-Midfielder will be for Ipswich against Morgan Fox... Its evident that they'll target that side and if we protect him with Harriott / Lookman, Fox will have to do the job of two men.

For that reason I wouldnt be surprised if the team that started against Birmingham also starts today.
  • Ben18 said:

SDAddick said:

Nice of you to turn up ON THE DAY with this FA ;)

Decisions, decisions.

He's been busy with his lawn mate
    Bloody garden!!

I put down Weed Killer yesterday morning (Had the day off as British Gas were coming) and it said on the side that you should put it down if its going to rain within 6-hours, not two hours later the heavens opened for 10mins leaving my work pointless!!
  • Sponsored links:

• What worries me about the side that I've selected is I wonder who the Right-Midfielder will be for Ipswich against Morgan Fox... Its evident that they'll target that side and if we protect him with Harriott / Lookman, Fox will have to do the job of two men.

For that reason I wouldnt be surprised if the team that started against Birmingham also starts today.

Normally it would be Murphy starting basically as a right forward, but if he's out maybe Pringle, maybe Feeney. I'd fancy Foxey against them (definitely just jinxed it there). Given McGoldrick is just coming back, I can't see him starting, but if he was fit he'd give them an option to go 4-4-2. Him and Pitman against our central defenders scares me.
  • Bristol City v Rotherham United
    Milton Keynes Dons v Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Preston North End v Fulham

Are the other matches we should keep an eye on tonight (the top one being a nuisance yet see loses for Fulham and MK Dons tonight), for those still hopeful; Burnley play at home to Cardiff ;)
  • We really need to win this one, but can't see better than a draw 1-1.
  • Bristol City v Rotherham United

Are the other matches we should keep an eye on tonight (the top one being a nuisance yet see loses for Fulham and MK Dons tonight), for those still hopeful; Burnley play at home to Cardiff ;)

Need a clear winner from Bristol v. Rotherham. Even though Bristol are a point ahead, their form is mixed, whereas Rotherham have won 5 and drawn one of their last 6--they've got to be the form team in the league at the moment. Fancy them to win that and pull clear of relegation. Bristol City look far the more vulnerable, so here's to hoping tonight starts a five game slide.
  • Oh gone then 0-1 to the addicks, smash and grab and quick jump start to get home.
  • SDAddick said:

Bristol City v Rotherham United

Need a clear winner from Bristol v. Rotherham. Even though Bristol are a point ahead, their form is mixed, whereas Rotherham have won 5 and drawn one of their last 6--they've got to be the form team in the league at the moment. Fancy them to win that and pull clear of relegation. Bristol City look far the more vulnerable, so here's to hoping tonight starts a five game slide.
    With Rotherham facing MK Dons on Saturday you have to hope that they win today forcing Bristol City back towards us, if City win then it simply gives Rotherham a second chance at survival next week!!
  • edited April 2016
    Trying to imagine a win, but it seems a step too far. A point and the others to do badly might be all we can hope for.
  • Match thread from 6.45, Addicks to win this 2-1, but I do fancy us to get at least a point. We cant afford to lose, as we need to keep pressure on those above us............COYR's
  • Already up there in Ipswich, early start for me! Hope we get the 3 points but if they score first I can see it being a classic 3-0... ROLAND OUT, support the team and not the regime!

Unless you live up there @NomadicAddick I'm genuinely worried and concerned why you've decided to get up to Ipswich 7 hours early for a midweek kick off on a Tuesday
  • Sponsored links:

• Can see Diarra missing out, was clattered twice at start of second half and looked off the pace afterwards in the Birmingham game. He would be a huge loss if so. 0-3 to Ipswich to put an end to the rose tinted glasses brigade running unrealistic predictor scores for the next week !
  • edited April 2016
    a win would give us hope and possibly make Saturday a little more exciting either way i think we are down, but until its mathematically confirmed were not.

• Our record in matches which have followed on with a few days of each other is poor. Since the halcyon days of August we have managed two points from 24 in midweek games and the fear is our fitness and stamina may let us down. We have to show more resolve than we did in the shambles at Sheffield Wednesday, which followed the good win against Boro, and abandon caution and just go for goals. Anything other than three points won't be good enough with games running out.
  • Surely we've got it in us to get 3 points tonight? On a pedantic note, Lookman (perennially referred to as 17) is actually 18, and will be 19 in October when he joins his new premier league club!
  • Surely we've got it in us to get 3 points tonight? On a pedantic note, Lookman (perennially referred to as 17) is actually 18, and will be 19 in October when he joins his new premier league club!

Cheers for that note about Lookman's age... Have corrected my preview
  • Win 2-1.
  • 3-0 Ipswich at 12/1 seems very tempting
  • If Diarra plays I think we will get a result. If not it will be the usual shambles.