Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Birmingham | Sat 02 Apr | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Birmingham City
Saturday 01 April 2016 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Paul Tierney (Lancashire

Introduction

Due to my other commitments on this Forum (creating an insightful update on the progress of countries qualifying for the World Cup), the Match Preview has been created a little late this week… With the final International break out of the way its gung-ho straight for the finishing line, each team in the Championship no matter where they are in the table now have eight cup finals, whether it be to avoid relegation, to win automatic promotion or prolong the season a little more with a late Play-Off surge.

In terms of Charlton Athletic it has been two weeks since our last fixture (an away tie at Sheffield Wednesday), as per the story of our season we were once again unable to build on a successful victory and succumbed to a 3-0 defeat, a scoreline which has become so familiar with Charlton fans over the last three years… It was a result that was all the more disappointing as our rivals Rotherham had picked up three points at the same venue only weeks before.

The Addicks now sit six points from safety, that’s two games and two wins required just to catch the teams above us… Our season continues to hang by a thread and this Saturday we face another side whose final eight games will be spent hunting one of those final Play-Off spots; Birmingham City.

The Opposition
Name: Birmingham City | Manager: Gary Rowett
Ground: St. Andrews | Nickname: The Blues

Two things that Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham City have in common; both have been beaten by Charlton, and to hang their heads in shame even more, both sides have been beaten by a side managed by Karel Fraeye… With wins being very far and few between this season, Birmingham arrive in South East London this season with the risk of becoming only one of two sides to have been beaten twice by the Addicks this season (the other remaining side being Queens Park Rangers).

Ironically that result against Birmingham last year followed hot on the heels of a 3-1 win against Sheffield Wednesday, both games were separated by an International Break so in a sense it’s a bit of déjà vu… Another defeat for Birmingham could seriously put a dent in their hopes for a Play-Off spot (the Blues currently occupy ninth place and sit six points off the final available place)… Why are three points never easy?

Charlton Team News
Once again, this is another rare match preview which has been written after the weekly Press Conference so for once I have the added advantage of knowing what is going on… The best news to come out of Sparrows Lane in the last 24-hours is that Ahmed Kashi has started running again, although it is still questionable if we’ll see him before the end of the season or whether we’ll see him in a Charlton shirt ever again (Which’ll be a shame as he had the potential to become a real fans favourite).

For those who stand a chance of being involved this Weekend it appears as though our injury list is shrinking… Stephen Henderson is set to miss out once more, yet with Nick Pope’s form it would be difficult to drop the young ‘keeper, Chris Solly is slowly regaining fitness so could well be involved this Saturday yet will surely be from the bench, the worst news is thus; Reza Ghoochannejhad somehow injured himself whilst on International duty with Iran so could be out for some time.

In other team news; Yaya Sanogo serves the final game of his three match ban after being sent off against MK Dons so will return against Ipswich on Tuesday night.

Pope
Motta … Fanni … Teixeira … Fox
Gudmundsson … Cousins … Diarra … Young
Harriott … Vetokele

Substitutes Bench: Mitov … Solly … Lennon … Bergdich … Jackson … Lookman … Makienok

Prediction
Charlton Athletic 1-0 Birmingham City

Comments

• I predict an inflated attendance to watch a charlton team full of hot air.

2-2
  • edited April 2016
    Charlton 0-4 Birmingham, everyone around us also wins (or draws if playing one another)
  • That team sounds about right. JBG scores in the last minute and dedicates his winner to his comedy hero Ronnie Corbett
  • Pope
    Motta … Fanni … Teixeira … Fox
    Gudmundsson … Cousins … Diarra … Young
    Harriott … Lookman

Substitutes Bench: Mitov … Solly … Lennon … Bergdich … Jackson … Vetokele … Makienok

I can't see past losses to the end of the season if we're mixing the squad up too much, I think Riga will revert to the what worked against Middlesbrough.

Funnily that was the game I actually believed we'd get spanked.
  • Same old. More frustration, Lookman to come off the bench for a ten-minute cameo when the game is lost. At least Makienok's not starting.
  • Ipswich is on Tuesday!

Got a feeling we will beat Brum tomorrow!
  • Essex_Al said:

Ipswich is on Tuesday!

Got a feeling we will beat Brum tomorrow!

Cheers... Knew I should have checked that before writing it!!
  • edited April 2016
    change my mind Reza isn't playing 3-1 win

• Sponsored links:

• Has the makings of a decent side there.

COYR.

• Birmingham look like they will fall short of the play-offs and not on the best form so a good chance I guess.
  • Might, just might win this one,2-0.
  • 1-1, like every time we play them
  • A brave 2-0.
    Safe by the middle of the month
  • Morrison is bound to score from a corner
    so
    2-1
  • Much as I liked Michael Morrison, he is vulnerable to tall centre forwards. Not players like Jordan Rhodes (who he always had in his back pocket) but those like Nicola Zigic (formerly of Brum) who always seemed to score against us when Morro played.

I am therefore hoping that Makienok plays, and that he performs and tries as any decent player should. (If not, he should be yanked at the earliest opportunity!)

Despite Jackson being fit, I would retain most of the players who have started recent games:

My team would be -

Pope
    Motta
    Fox
    Texiera
    Fanni
    Diarra
    Cousins
    Gudmundsson
    Harriott
    Vetokele
    Makienok

Subs: Mitov, Solly, Lennon, Poyet, Jackson, Young, Lookman
  • A brave 2-0.
    Safe by the middle of the month

I'm fairly sure Birmingham have been safe for a while...
  • Addicks 2-1 winners, match thread from 2 pm.....COYR's - 8 cup finals, 24 points up for grabs, the Championship future is in your hands (feet!!)
  • Lose and Morro scores, simples!
  • Sponsored links:

• Hopefully, Riga has had the ones not on international duty (ie almost all of them) working on how to defend at corners etc, so this previously fragile area will now be one of our strengths. If only we can also start getting shots, ideally on target, then all will be well again.
  • mogodon said:

Hopefully, Riga has had the ones not on international duty (ie almost all of them) working on how to defend at corners etc, so this previously fragile area will now be one of our strengths. If only we can also start getting shots, ideally on target, then all will be well again.

Only person of note who would have been away on International Duty was Johann (Shame as he could do with practicing corners)
  • I hope we win but expect that we won't. Only going to catch up with my mates and for the craic. The result is irrelevant now ...
  • Hoping for three points, by a couple of clear goals. 2-0 or 3-1.
  • 1-0 Birmingham. Morrison to score from a corner
  • "Reza Ghoochannejhad somehow injured himself whilst on International duty with Iran so could be out for some time"

Well that's well and truly fucked our survival hopes then
  • we always beat them .. we need a season's double over 'em .. I hope that Morrison get run ragged by whoever we play up front and that he gets sent off .. Another MUST win, but they all are and will be for the next eighteen months at least

CAFC 2 v Birmingham City 1
  • If Reza is out long term, I cannot see us winning until he is back and then it will be too late
  • edited April 2016
    I'm looking forward to the protests more than the game. Fans 3, Board 0. A good cheer for Morrison as well.
  • ross1 said:

If Reza is out long term, I cannot see us winning until he is back and then it will be too late

Yeh, winning! That'll be winning the Iranian lottery where you have to predict how often an Iranian international footballer falls over on the pitch without anyone actually touching him!!! My bid is for 227 times in 90 minutes!