Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gardening Advice

1252627282931»

Comments

• Moving a large/heavy fig tree out of the greenhouse today, lots of moving stuff about and a little swearing to follow, correct music crucial to the operation, will also move a banana plant out at the same time, I have high hopes that I might actually get this one too fruit so gently does it.
    That'll be amazing if you get it to fruit, and quite rare for the UK I thought? Mine are going mad but the wind has not given them a break and they're shredded to buggery sadly. 
    Having said the above at the end of June, guess what my musa basjoo has been busy doing!

Got myself a few hands of bananas on the way. Literally changing and doing something by the hour at the moment.

Sadly, the main "trunk" will snuff it after it's fruited. 
    Fantastic, how old is the plant, sweet fa up here in the Midlands.
  • Moving a large/heavy fig tree out of the greenhouse today, lots of moving stuff about and a little swearing to follow, correct music crucial to the operation, will also move a banana plant out at the same time, I have high hopes that I might actually get this one too fruit so gently does it.
    That'll be amazing if you get it to fruit, and quite rare for the UK I thought? Mine are going mad but the wind has not given them a break and they're shredded to buggery sadly. 
    Having said the above at the end of June, guess what my musa basjoo has been busy doing!

Got myself a few hands of bananas on the way. Literally changing and doing something by the hour at the moment.

Sadly, the main "trunk" will snuff it after it's fruited. 
    Fantastic, how old is the plant, sweet fa up here in the Midlands.
    Was trying to remember myself if it were late summer 2020 or early '21 so 3.5 - 4 years I suppose. I was wondering why it hadn't put out any pups and much fewer leaves this summer, turns out it was putting its energy into fruiting. 
  • Top work, I'm envious, although I have a basjoo getting pretty big this year so maybe next year will be the year, fat chance up here lol.
  • Suffered this fungal infection for years now.  Back in 2017 this was almost a perfect question mark shape. I've dug out bits and pieces over the years to no avail - apart from it shape shifting.

The surface is absolutely impenetrable to water which is why the grass immediately next to it is dark green - from the run off of water.  It has its own unique smell and sometimes sprouts mushrooms.

The picture below shows what is going on below with the white spores.

There is precious little advice about this I can find and I decided to have one more go at it and dig it up.  I made up a home made fungicide using bicarbonate of soda, Neem oil and detergent and have watered into the ditch.  The chances of it working I rate at less than 50 percent as the spores could just take off again.  The chances of me digging out 400 litres of soil again I rate at 0%.

• I quite like to see a wild meadow as per this one in Hall place (taken in July), but one month later it looks a bit of a nightmare (to me).  You have to work pretty damned hard to get that natural look.

One month later.