Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gardening Advice

Comments

• T_C_E said:
    Thanks to the advice and information gained from this thread our garden is transformed from the dogs playground/karzy to somewhere we both enjoy along with the dogs although it may have been different when five of them were chasing around kicking up stones, one thing that never been mentioned is the cash needed when your starting out. #Eyewatering 
    It’s still a dogs karzy, thanks Bowyer no class 😂s
    Looking good @T_C_E did you decide on what to do with the centrepiece yet btw or going to come back to that?

I've had a few bits and bobs from https://www.farmergracy.co.uk/ over the last couple of years. They are based in the Netherlands so it can take a week or two longer but good selection and often have some of the more unusual stuff and some good deals. 
  • @Bournemouth Addick 
    I plonked a large pot in the middle with some bamboo just to see what reaction it gets from the dogs.
    They don’t particularly take any notice of it which is a good thing, I thought about a heavy concrete three tier fountain looking planter. 
    I can only find cheap ones made of plastic which would get knocked over by the dogs or blown over by the wind off the coast.

• Living just off the clifftop myself I feel your pain with the wind (oh er missus). I've weighted some of my larger planters down with breeze blocks inside, which does help a bit. 
  • T_C_E said:
    @Bournemouth Addick 
    I plonked a large pot in the middle with some bamboo just to see what reaction it gets from the dogs.
    They don’t particularly take any notice of it which is a good thing, I thought about a heavy concrete three tier fountain looking planter. 
    I can only find cheap ones made of plastic which would get knocked over by the dogs or blown over by the wind off the coast.

Have you looked at Whelans in Sheerness, they had some large concrete planters the last time we visited, admittedly it was some time ago.

https://whelansgardenornaments.com/about/
  • T_C_E said:
    @Bournemouth Addick 

Have you looked at Whelans in Sheerness, they had some large concrete planters the last time we visited, admittedly it was some time ago.

https://whelansgardenornaments.com/about/
    Thank you, it’s on our places to visit list. 
    A 15 minute drive from home yet everytime we plan a visit something else crops up, no way I’m going near the place weekend or bank holidays 😂
  • Thanks to CL, Gardeners World (my new favourite programme) and Google. 
    It’s getting there. 💪

• Sponsored links:

• Moving a large/heavy fig tree out of the greenhouse today, lots of moving stuff about and a little swearing to follow, correct music crucial to the operation, will also move a banana plant out at the same time, I have high hopes that I might actually get this one too fruit so gently does it.
  • Moving a large/heavy fig tree out of the greenhouse today, lots of moving stuff about and a little swearing to follow, correct music crucial to the operation, will also move a banana plant out at the same time, I have high hopes that I might actually get this one too fruit so gently does it.
    That'll be amazing if you get it to fruit, and quite rare for the UK I thought? Mine are going mad but the wind has not given them a break and they're shredded to buggery sadly. 
  • The idea was keep in the greenhouse and give it every chance, but it's a bit too hot in there now so I've found a sheltered spot for it in a plastic greenhouse, it's a different type of heat in there, hot and moist so hopefully more tropical feeling.
    That'll be amazing if you get it to fruit, and quite rare for the UK I thought? Mine are going mad but the wind has not given them a break and they're shredded to buggery sadly. 
    For the record it's a.  Musa acuminata.
    It’s not that rare, the main gate at UCL has quite a nice tree. They do nothing to it and it bears fruit each, although I have never seen anyone trying anything from it. Actually the key to getting them to fruit is not putting them in rich soil. They just grow and grow. Poor soil(relatively to ours), plenty of stones, good drainage and the occasional watering. 
    Restricting the root growth the way to go and a sunny spot. My sister gets a good crop every year from her one. She keeps it in a container on the patio and keeps it to about 2 meters tall and 1,5 meters wide. 
  • edited June 30
    Moving a large/heavy fig tree out of the greenhouse today, lots of moving stuff about and a little swearing to follow, correct music crucial to the operation, will also move a banana plant out at the same time, I have high hopes that I might actually get this one too fruit so gently does it.
    It’s not that rare, the main gate at UCL has quite a nice tree. They do nothing to it and it bears fruit each, although I have never seen anyone trying anything from it. Actually the key to getting them to fruit is not putting them in rich soil. They just grow and grow. Poor soil(relatively to ours), plenty of stones, good drainage and the occasional watering. 
    Restricting the root growth the way to go and a sunny spot. My sister gets a good crop every year from her one. She keeps it in a container on the patio and keeps it to about 2 meters tall and 1,5 meters wide. 
    Lol - my musa acuminata is some way off bearing fruit at the moment!

I kept it indoors over winter but stuck it outside in too much full sun too soon and it suffered badly from scorching. Recovering now fortunately.

My others have fared a little better, wind shredding excepted. 

Above is musa sikkimensis - Red Tiger 

Oops, I really should read and understood the post before replying. 
    I ignored the banana plant bit and concentrated on the fig tree bit. 
    I bought a banana plant once by mistake, it was put in with the cannas. I stuck it in the ground and treated the same way as I would a canna. It grew to about 2,5 meters in a few months, plenty of impressive leaves and a thick stem. I should have lifted it for the winter but I didn’t bother. It died. 
    Your plants look great, very lush. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I feel that I was kinda bullied into this chap after all the banana 🍌 chat, so next time I'm in Bournemouth I'll be looking for a contribution.
  • Nearly put the log burner on it was so chilly this morning. 5th July FFS !!
  • I have an overgrown garden, live in Mottingham, looking for free quote, hopefully a good price as a Charlton fan.
  • I feel that I was kinda bullied into this chap after all the banana 🍌 chat, so next time I'm in Bournemouth I'll be looking for a contribution.
    Next time any of you are by Chatham BR Station, go up a road called albany terrace or even on Google maps and do the street view. There is a house there that has 3, maybe 4 colossal palm/banana trees, I'm far from an expert in either so one of you will have to confirm what the behemoth tropical trees are. 
  • This is a big old rose (Remembrance) that grows so heavy it needs canes to support it.  Quite nice to watch a single stem unfurl indoors.

... and this is what happens when you don't even follow your own advice  :/

• “Plant a pumpkin seed”she said, Millie will love it if one grows! 😂😂😂