Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening Advice

Comments

• Options
    Thanks folks I’ve ordered 5 of them, so we'll see how well we get on. 
  • Options
    Another day another Phoenix to plant, plus a few other bits, it'll be like Borneo when I'm done. 
    Any photos @jonseventyfive?  Quite intrigued to see your little patch of Borneo.
  • Options
    Still some way to go yet I'm afraid, a lot of the new stuff is under 2meters tall so very much a work in progress, a neighbour's garden is over 10years old and is spectacular, complete with large koi ponds hidden ruins and temples the whole lot, unfortunately lockdown came along and his open day is postponed, my wife ordered 3 hardy banana trees this week so there is always room for more lol.
  • Options
    Holly looks great, I've had a good year for hostas, dug them all up last autumn and put them in metal containers, only 1 leaf has a nibble and I caught the culprit. 
  • Options
    Have gone from this

To this

Had to lose 2 trees unfortunately as they had done plenty of damage to the lawn. Will be putting some fence panels or trellis at the back to cover the walls. Some lights down there too. And will be replacing the fence panels on our side (on the right)

An 8x6 shed coming in July and some nice furniture on the decking too.
  • Options
    Have you considered just painting the brick walls?
  • Options
    Yea and still am considering it. The wall on the left is the back and side of the shed from the 1st picture. Will probably have them both rendered but still want some kind of fence/trellis just as added security/privacy. Maybe something that wont cover the whole wall but give it a bit more height.
  • Options
    Saw 10 of these out last night. Heading out around 9 seems to be prime Stag Beetle time. They are mesmerising when they hover past
  • Options
    Kill or be killed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got loads of lovely poppies atm, must have at least 10 varieties.
  • Options

• Options
    Anyone had any success with creating a wildflower lawn type effect? Am am working with a section of ours. Loads of little seed balls. Not cutting the grass no fertilisers. Everything I have read says it will take a year or two to have much impact but would like to see if anyone here has tried it.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

I had one of two of these a few years ago - I think maybe from a wildflower mix, but they dont look wild. Now they self seed everywhere! Beautiful. I just have to be careful I don't think they're weeds early on in their growth
  • Options
    kigelia said:
    Anyone had any success with creating a wildflower lawn type effect? Am am working with a section of ours. Loads of little seed balls. Not cutting the grass no fertilisers. Everything I have read says it will take a year or two to have much impact but would like to see if anyone here has tried it.
    We bought some of those seed balls. Did what the tin said and chucked them into and area to have a wild flower patch of garden

A load of weeds sprang up, no flowers 

A bloke in the pub I distinctly recall saying that would happen if you leave earth alone as weeds are generally so hardy once they have grown the speedballs need some time to mature so youd be best served preparing some soil or compost and planting them away from existing weedlife 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    kigelia said:
    We bought some of those seed balls. Did what the tin said and chucked them into and area to have a wild flower patch of garden

A bloke in the pub I distinctly recall saying that would happen if you leave earth alone as weeds are generally so hardy once they have grown the speedballs need some time to mature so youd be best served preparing some soil or compost and planting them away from existing weedlife 
    That is what I am finding. Suspect I will invest in a batch of plug plant wildflowers as this seems a potentially more productive option.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    kigelia said:

It’s not for me, I know it’s good for the wildlife and is currently in vogue but I like a bit of grass to weed free, lush, thick and leaves imprints when you walk on it. I also like gardens neatly tended. It annoys me on Gardeners World, all there is is Monty letting the weeds take over, the lazy sod.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    kigelia said:

It’s not for me, I know it’s good for the wildlife and is currently in vogue but I like a bit of grass to weed free, lush, thick and leaves imprints when you walk on it. I also like gardens neatly tended. It annoys me on Gardeners World, all there is is Monty letting the weeds take over, the lazy sod.
    I agree with your point about lawns being lush green organic carpets of pure grass. 

I have been waging a prolonged war on moss in my lawn. Done everything and the nastard moss comes back 

used Mo Bacter, scrarifying, raking, over seeding, under seeding, iron sulphate, letting it grow long and cutting it shortand the stuff persists. 

I'm winning the battle this year but the stuff is aggressive 

The flower beds look awesome though
  • Options
    I have a fungal infection (in my grass).

There is no treatment available to the amateur gardener although you can of course dig it up.  The advice is to dig down a foot and around it by a foot.  I haven't the will to work that bloody hard and in any case if you miss any, the spores simply set off again. I have none-the-less tried interrupting it through sheer frustration and removed some of the worst patches, now I'm left with a series of bad patches - which if you join the dots - form a perfect fairy ring.

It's really odd.  These patches are absolutely impervious to water which is why the grass immediately beside is so lush green (where the water runs off to).  If you dig down, the soil itself is full of white spores and has a peculiar smell. The only thing that likes it are the mushrooms which sprout up at certain times of the year.  :neutral:

• Options

There is no treatment available to the amateur gardener although you can of course dig it up.  The advice is to dig down a foot and around it by a foot.  I haven't the will to work that bloody hard and in any case if you miss any, the spores simply set off again. I have none-the-less tried interrupting it through sheer frustration and removed some of the worst patches, now I'm left with a series of bad patches - which if you join the dots - form a perfect fairy ring.

It's really odd.  These patches are absolutely impervious to water which is why the grass immediately beside is so lush green (where the water runs off to).  If you dig down, the soil itself is full of white spores and has a peculiar smell. The only thing that likes it are the mushrooms which sprout up at certain times of the year.  :neutral:

Keep on digging, that's a human body you could salvage 

Joking aside, well I hope I'm joking, fungus spores in earth need to be removed else they spread quite fast. Would you be able to post a picture of the grass affected? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Carter said:

Keep on digging, that's a human body you could salvage 

Joking aside, well I hope I'm joking, fungus spores in earth need to be removed else they spread quite fast. Would you be able to post a picture of the grass affected? 
    It's a bit hard to distinguish atm as my grass is in such poor state.  However I'm pretty sure it is a type 1 fairy ring which is unfortunately the most damaging.  It would look like this, had I not had a go at it over the years.

I have however dug some up for you to show what it looks like underneath.  Notice the white powdery fungus and how dry the soil is.  I have read that it can be treated using a wetting agent, although generally that is pretty unsuccessful too.  I might try forking in some largish holes and filling with water with a little detergent which acts as a wetting agent ... so I'm told.  Although tbh I feel as much like doing that as Taylor feels about playing for Charlton.  It is very dispiriting.

• Options
    Was very pleased to spot one of these wandering across the garden this morning

Spotted two of them going at it about half hour ago! Have they no shame!?! 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Carter said:
    kigelia said:

I agree with your point about lawns being lush green organic carpets of pure grass. 

I have been waging a prolonged war on moss in my lawn. Done everything and the nastard moss comes back 

used Mo Bacter, scrarifying, raking, over seeding, under seeding, iron sulphate, letting it grow long and cutting it shortand the stuff persists. 

I'm sure there used to be another Carter that posted on here :) 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Carter said:
    kigelia said:

I actually think its the hardest job in the garden. Most stuff we grow it’s just planted, watered and given a feed occasionally, they just grow without much to do but stand back and admire.
    A lawn though is thousands of small plants growing in a multitude of differing conditions. It’s bloody difficult to keep on top and keep it healthy.
    My front and back lawns look the best they have since I bought the house, that’s down to the amount of time I am able to give it presently. Upside of a pandemic.
  • Options
    Still some way to go yet I'm afraid, a lot of the new stuff is under 2meters tall so very much a work in progress, a neighbour's garden is over 10years old and is spectacular, complete with large koi ponds hidden ruins and temples the whole lot, unfortunately lockdown came along and his open day is postponed, my wife ordered 3 hardy banana trees this week so there is always room for more lol.

I like reading your posts about your work in progress as I'm starting to think about doing something similar in mine. I've recently got Mr T to sort out a water feature using a massive pot that the previous owner left and I think it could be the start of a little area of something with bamboos, hardy bananas etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I'm actually thinking of decking an area at the back of our garden. I don't suppose anyone can either recommend a company and/or place to buy the decking? We're based in Medway.

Looking to do the area in the far right where it's a bit overgrown currently. Potentially put in a pagoda at the same time

• Options
    I'm actually thinking of decking an area at the back of our garden. I don't suppose anyone can either recommend a company and/or place to buy the decking? We're based in Medway.
    You might have a wait on your hands. I managed to grab the last lot at the place I used in my area. My father in law has a couple of months wait. It's in very high demand but best of luck and unfortunately couldn't recommend any that way.
  • Options

I like reading your posts about your work in progress as I'm starting to think about doing something similar in mine. I've recently got Mr T to sort out a water feature using a massive pot that the previous owner left and I think it could be the start of a little area of something with bamboos, hardy bananas etc.
    And the big bonus is lots of wildlife, water, lots of plants brings all sorts of critters in, check out 'very plants ' nice and reasonable and so far everything has been in good condition, and as I have said very good for my well being after my issues, have a nice day. 
  • Options

Looking to do the area in the far right where it's a bit overgrown currently. Potentially put in a pagoda at the same time

If you are looking to get away from wet trades (concreting) and digging holes for supports, stumbled upon these, which appear to be a novel solution.
    https://www.groundscrewcentre.co.uk/
  • Options

I like the pagoda idea but personally I prefer a bit of stone work over decking. A bit more permanent and easier to keep new looking. But that’s me not you and decks can look very smart especially with a bit of design and tied into other features.