Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    The end of the world is coming...
    Hearn and Warren have actually made a deal before purse bids.

Saunders v Andrade for the 160lbs WBO title to take place on Matchroom USA show in October.

Purse bids were set for 11pm last night but a deal was agreed just a few hours before.
  • Options
    Not for one minute do I not see this as anything else than nice guy Eddie trying to turn uk boxing into the PPV scandal that it is in the USA

But I love my boxing so like a fool I will part with my cash

And for £19.95 the pleasure I will get from sitting down with a few beers and get the best seat in the house for the main event and I will enjoy the undercard even though it ain't great

I agree totally it shouldn’t be PPV especially as we pay for sky anyway

But it is and I will pay for it and Have 3 hrs of something I find totally enthralling for 19.95
  • Options

Not for one minute do I not see this as anything else than nice guy Eddie trying to turn uk boxing into the PPV scandal that it is in the USA

And for £19.95 the pleasure I will get from sitting down with a few beers and get the best seat in the house for the main event and I will enjoy the undercard even though it ain't great

But it is and I will pay for it and Have 3 hrs of something I find totally enthralling for 19.95

Totally agree, D.

If you love boxing, you love pretty much all boxing. A bunch of us go to a black tie boxing dinner in Nantwich every year (this year will be 10 in a row), usually a match between Crewe ABC and Liverpool ABC. The standard is mixed with an occasional nugget, but the fights are real fights and I love every second of it.

The greatest individual sport on the planet, so Hearn will get my money on Saturday.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Totally agree, D.

If you love boxing, you love pretty much all boxing. A bunch of us go to a black tie boxing dinner in Nantwich every year (this year will be 10 in a row), usually a match between Crewe ABC and Liverpool ABC. The standard is mixed with an occasional nugget, but the fights are real fights and I love every second of it.

The greatest individual sport on the planet, so Hearn will get my money on Saturday.
    I agree boxing is the toughest game in the world however it will become marginalised the more Hearn makes shows like this PPV.

• Options
    I have bought nearly every PPV in last few years but this one is pushing it and I don't think I will get this. I much prefer spending a Saturday night at home with beers and boxing and mates but think this could be a miss for me.
  • Options
    It is not a great card I reckon chisora vs tattam will be old school heavyweight fighting lots of leaning holding and not exciting but won’t be boring if you love the sport

And Whyte vs Parker could be a cracker if I wasn’t paying for sky I would pay to watch it easily

I would have been very interested in going to see it if I wasn’t so busy at work
  • Options
    now official, as expected weeks ago, Friday night in Jeddah

• Options
    No ring girls then I assume
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Carter said:

cs1986 said:

Undergrad for whyte Parker is shocking probably worst PPV undergrad since bellew cleverly 2. I wanted to buy fight but am shocked at undercard.

A washed up chisora v Takam could be awful technically.
    Webb v Dave Allen. Allen stated he was retiring last week and will be about 20 stone
    Been v French knockover job who he aehubaly lost to before
    Women's title fight that no-one cares about
    Is Buatsi still fighting the great TBA?

Disappointed in Hearn this should be a much better undercard with some 50/50 fights on it.

The undercard stinks, I'm normally one of those who pays the 15 quid as it's cheaper than going out but I'm not encouraging Hearn anymore. Takam v Chisora will be awful, Webb v Allen. Allen will get knocked out and Hearn is bugging this fight up like I don't know what. Connor Benn, fair one for going back through someone who really beat him but this while event is not pay per view and if Hearn is trying to convince anyone the only way we can see Dillian Whyte and Joseph Parker bore out a 12 rounder for Whyte to get a dubious decision then I'm happy to ignore him.

For a fight like this between two nearly men he needs to be making the undercards electric. Fuck his big names, put 50/50 fights on, the fighters are out there

I notice that Dillian weighed in almost a stone heavier than when he fought Joshua.

I've said it a hundred times, why are all PPV the same price? Make this £10 and people might have been tempted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    buckshee said:

Carter said:

cs1986 said:

Undergrad for whyte Parker is shocking probably worst PPV undergrad since bellew cleverly 2. I wanted to buy fight but am shocked at undercard.

Webb v Dave Allen. Allen stated he was retiring last week and will be about 20 stone

Disappointed in Hearn this should be a much better undercard with some 50/50 fights on it.

The undercard stinks, I'm normally one of those who pays the 15 quid as it's cheaper than going out but I'm not encouraging Hearn anymore. Takam v Chisora will be awful, Webb v Allen. Allen will get knocked out and Hearn is bugging this fight up like I don't know what. Connor Benn, fair one for going back through someone who really beat him but this while event is not pay per view and if Hearn is trying to convince anyone the only way we can see Dillian Whyte and Joseph Parker bore out a 12 rounder for Whyte to get a dubious decision then I'm happy to ignore him.

For a fight like this between two nearly men he needs to be making the undercards electric. Fuck his big names, put 50/50 fights on, the fighters are out there

I notice that Dillian weighed in almost a stone heavier than when he fought Joshua.

I've said it a hundred times, why are all PPV the same price? Make this £10 and people might have been tempted.
    They've slipped it up to 20 quid now. My problem isn't that twenty quid is a substantial sum of money because it isn't but it adds up and when it's on top of a premium subscription I start to wonder why I'm bothering with the subscription as the normal quality of boxing content is poor domestically.

You are right, if I believe Hearn and I accept that even totally mediocre shows like this need to be PPV make it a mediocre price to reflect. Frank Warren's shows used to fall apart all the time towards the end as he knew he could take the piss by having a supposed big name headlining fighting a craggy faced foreigner and filling the undercarriage with crap.

I genuinely think Hearn thinks he's impervious to sky telling him to get his act together.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Carter said:

cs1986 said:

He didn't look great on the scale either, suspect it's more burger than muscle that has lead to that gain.
  • Options

I still can't believe this. Utter dogshit.

• Options
    I'm going to back Parker to win on points. Much quicker and Dillian doesn't impress me over 12 rounds, at least I don't think he will against a quick mover like Parker
  • Options
    Boom said:

Saudi Arabia to become the new (old, whatever) Mecca of boxing!
  • Options
    Indeed. Just like Qatar for football!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Boom said:

Saudi Arabia to become the new (old, whatever) Mecca of boxing!
    Thing is Kalle and Nisse are the front to WBSS and the main people are investors in the background

So it’s a double win for them

Someone has edged up a shed load of cash to host it in Saudi

Plus all the Brits will buy the PPV
  • Options
    Hosting in Jeddah won't change the PPV numbers at all. It makes no difference to people watching at home.
    They miss out on ticket sales of (18k roughly) for an arena.
    The rights fee from Saudi Arabia + their original cash input into the tournament more than covers it.
  • Options
    Agree 100%

I still believe if Groves hadn't been injured we would have had the fight here earlier this year and the Cruiserweight final would have gone to Jeddah instead.
    When Groves was injured and the fight delayed, Russians came in with more money for the other final.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Controversial opinion, I quite fancy the undercard... I think the Chisora and Whyte fights are worth the dosh (I've enjoyed most Whyte fights, including agaisnt the Aussie fella) I actually like Katie Taylor, and really rate Anthony Fowler. Problem is I doubt I'll get to watch more than the last couple of fights, so not worth a score.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Controversial opinion, I quite fancy the undercard... I think the Chisora and Whyte fights are worth the dosh (I've enjoyed most Whyte fights, including agaisnt the Aussie fella) I actually like Katie Taylor, and really rate Anthony Fowler. Problem is I doubt I'll get to watch more than the last couple of fights, so not worth a score.

Not controversial mate, I'm just a gobshite when it comes to pay per view cards. It's a fair opinion, I like individually Whyte, Chisora on his day when he is fit and applied is a great heavyweight but he's so frustrating, Katie Taylor is a gem in a pretty bereft pool, Fowler is good but hasn't been tested not near tested and won't be tomorrow. And double yes, after paying out you will only get the fights that sly decide to show
  • Options
    Carter said:

McBobbin said:

Not controversial mate, I'm just a gobshite when it comes to pay per view cards. It's a fair opinion, I like individually Whyte, Chisora on his day when he is fit and applied is a great heavyweight but he's so frustrating, Katie Taylor is a gem in a pretty bereft pool, Fowler is good but hasn't been tested not near tested and won't be tomorrow. And double yes, after paying out you will only get the fights that sly decide to show
    No worries... Last Whyte card wasn't on box office (if I recall) and was filled with 50/50s because Hearn had a Joshua event to sell. Reckon he decided there's money to be made on the back of that card... Agree what others have said, there's nothing that justifies this being ppv above what you'd expect from an expensive sky subscription.

(Disclaimer: I once convinced my parents to pay for a ppv despite being out for the night in the 90s because a girl I was trying to impress fancied Robin Reid. Got a snog mind, but then passed out due to excessive whisky consumption)
  • Options

Agree 100%

I still believe if Groves hadn't been injured we would have had the fight here earlier this year and the Cruiserweight final would have gone to Jeddah instead.
    When Groves was injured and the fight delayed, Russians came in with more money for the other final.

The fight was due for the 02 in June or July pre Groves injury we had already started arranging some of the VIP stuff

Depending on what I hear back over the weekend I may hop on a plane to watch it but very much depends on my pal sorting a few bits

And is prob 20% Chance I will want to go with them

It’s a scandal really but money talks

• Options
    McBobbin said:

Carter said:

McBobbin said:

No worries... Last Whyte card wasn't on box office (if I recall) and was filled with 50/50s because Hearn had a Joshua event to sell. Reckon he decided there's money to be made on the back of that card... Agree what others have said, there's nothing that justifies this being ppv above what you'd expect from an expensive sky subscription.

(Disclaimer: I once convinced my parents to pay for a ppv despite being out for the night in the 90s because a girl I was trying to impress fancied Robin Reid. Got a snog mind, but then passed out due to excessive whisky consumption)
    I'd need a lot of whisky to snog Robin Reid too
  • Options
    RR was a good looking boy:....

Nla - are you seriously thinking of going to Saudi.?

I’d be (very) half tempted to go to Dubai but Saudi? Na
  • Options
    Yeah but only if it’s with some of the guys wrapped around Kalle and Nisse or not a hope would i go there

We have an opportunity to work with them so it’s worthy of a bit of a risk
  • Options
    Also don’t forget that despite giving Eddie and Sky your twenty rips they don’t even show all the fights, (undercard started half an hour ago) and the ones between 6-7pm are for free on sky 121 anyway.
  • Options
    Fowler lovely knock out in the 6th round
  • Options
    Made up for Dave Allen there. As long as he trains and gets proper notice for a fight he’s in with a shout of the British title.