Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    Carter said:
    Beaten by the better man, Herring used his height and reach and showed a lot of sharpness 

Gutted for Carl Frampton I'm a fan, tough man and very gracious and classy in defeat 
    One of my all time faboruites. Shame to see him go out on a performance like that, but a 2 weight world champion and one of the nicest bloke's in boxing.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Carter said:
    Beaten by the better man, Herring used his height and reach and showed a lot of sharpness 

Gutted for Carl Frampton I'm a fan, tough man and very gracious and classy in defeat 
    One of my all time faboruites. Shame to see him go out on a performance like that, but a 2 weight world champion and one of the nicest bloke's in boxing.

There are one or two notable exceptions, but most boxing careers go on too long and inevitably end in failure.

That said, Frampton can hold his head high after a great career.
  • Options
    Of recent times fighters who have by their own admission gone on too long 

Ricky Hatton 
    Ryan Rhodes
    George Groves 
    Anthony Crolla 
    Kell Brook
    Matthew Macklin
    Shane Moseley 
    John Murray 
    David Haye 
    James De Gale
    Scott Quigg 

Such a brutal and honest sport doesn't leave anywhere to hide with such incredibly fine margins at play and once whatever 'it' is has left the body it is often a really hard watch seeing Ricky Hatton folded up by a body shot no less was nasty.

The list is much longer but these are the ones that spring to mind of the last decade or so 
  • Options
    Courtenay beats Bridges. Good scrap, but some HORRIBLE cards yet again. No way was it a 6 round win
  • Options
    Yeah, I had Courtenay 2 up fair and square 6 rounds is horseshit
  • Options
    Very good fight btw. Bridges very limited and got the fight based on her top bants on twitter, but she's powerful and tough, just not as classy as Courtenay
  • Options
    Both fair assessments, I was really looking forward to this one given all her chat and wasn't let down. I expected her to be a bit organic and she definitely was, Courtenay had to work every second for that 

The scoring was a disgrace, told you we'd all forget about the scoring in the Ritson fight soon enough just same as everyone forgot about the robbery John Ryder suffered against Smith 
  • Options
    I remember watching GB also ran Robin Reid fighting in Germany with the worst referee I've ever seen. Looked like Ted from Hi De Hi... That's the standard that British judges aspire to, and they don't need to do it! Hearn is always giving it "oh I judged that different" but surely he has it in his power to have judges who can actually see. Might as well bring in Adelaide Bird and be done with it
  • Options
    Btw Savannah Marshall looked good. Having Peter Fury in your corner can't be a bad thing
  • Options
    I might braid my hair and pretend to be a female boxer. It's long enough
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thing is its all this weird agreement 

The officials all want to be paid and the best place to be paid and receive expenses is by eating at the table of whoever is the main promoter which is currently Hearn so whilst Hearn will say with clear conscience "nothing to do with me" its a sham. None of the judges will score against one of his fighters for fear of being dropped out and replaced with someone more compliant. 

Any boxing show is the same, its not always the best fighters that get the decisions, its the ticket sellers. Thing is when Callum Smith for example boxes like he did against Ryder and gets a decision when his next fight is against Alvarez its hardly doing him a favour and because boxing is so obsessed with having a 0 on fighters records it gets daft. 

It won't change anytime soon though 
  • Options
    They aren't called hearn homers for nothing
  • Options
    I just hope I can grow to love Benn like I did his dad... He was the main man when I started getting into boxing. His fights v eubank and Collins were legendary. And McClellan!
  • Options
    Conor Benn - WOW
  • Options
    Seriously impressive. 
  • Options
    Did not expect that, punches raining down from all angles and each was good. Very impressive
  • Options
    Ref right to stop? 

Was teeing off but wasn’t clear whether Vargos was hurt or not, given how early in fight
  • Options
    Ref right to stop? 

Was teeing off but wasn’t clear whether Vargos was hurt or not, given how early in fight
    I think it was the right call as every blow was hitting the target with speed and aggression. Another 30 seconds of that and it could have been big trouble 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Ref right to stop? 

I think it was the right call as every blow was hitting the target with speed and aggression. Another 30 seconds of that and it could have been big trouble 
    Exactly
  • Options
    Yeah I think you’re right @cafc999

I think the ref was priming himself to go in a fraction earlier which would have been too early imo, but once the ref has doubt in his mind someone is on the verge of being seriously sparked, it must be very hard to pull back again from that 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:
    Thing is its all this weird agreement 

The officials all want to be paid and the best place to be paid and receive expenses is by eating at the table of whoever is the main promoter which is currently Hearn so whilst Hearn will say with clear conscience "nothing to do with me" its a sham. None of the judges will score against one of his fighters for fear of being dropped out and replaced with someone more compliant. 

Any boxing show is the same, its not always the best fighters that get the decisions, its the ticket sellers. Thing is when Callum Smith for example boxes like he did against Ryder and gets a decision when his next fight is against Alvarez its hardly doing him a favour and because boxing is so obsessed with having a 0 on fighters records it gets daft. 

It won't change anytime soon though 
    This situation is pretty incredible.  What about world title fights .  Wouldn’t the judges be selected by the British Boxing Board of Control or whatever they’re called.
  • Options
    Ref right to stop? 

I was actually shouting at the ref to stop it, Vargas has no answer at all and wasn't going to fire back just get badly hurt 
  • Options
    Ref right to stop? 

Bit early I think. Didn't look hurt, but better not to risk it I suppose.

I like Benn, but don't think he's the real deal. Would get found out against anyone decent, so he calls out a completely shot Amir Khan.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Completely agree croydon. My mate said khan has bottled it... er no (usual khan hate) Khan is basically retired for past two years, and been top 10 for a long time.. rightly so he would demand benn fights at least a top 20 or a big pay before he considers 😂. Khan just wants the big 10 fights / retirement package. 
    would still love to see it
  • Options
    I think the ref was right to stop
  • Options
    Benn has improved no end but still a long way off. I to found it strange that he called out Khan who has basically retired.
  • Options
    Also the welterweight division is one of the best around. Who there is he going to challenge... Crawford? Spence? Porter? Manny? 
  • Options
    I can see Benn vs Manny at some point.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Benn has improved no end but still a long way off. I to found it strange that he called out Khan who has basically retired.

Would be a big moneyspinner... Khan is a lot slower than he used to be and Benn is probably thinking it would be a reasonably easy fight
  • Options
    Anyone tuning in to Andrade vs Williams tonight? Can’t wait.

Williams has the heart to beat him but not sure he’s got the guile.

Should be a cracker.