Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Explosion at Brussels airport

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2016
    13 people confirmed dead RIP, these people will never win.

hope the bastards that did this had a very slow and painful death. utter shitbags
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    BBC reporting "at least 13 dead".

Shocking stuff yet again but as someone pointed out earlier, no longer surprising.

Thoughts with all those affected.

I honestly don't know how this can be resolved or eradicated. Unnerving times for all.
  • Options
    I've just gone on to the Eurostar website and they still plan to run trains into Brussels.

In a sense am glad because you cant show fear to whoever has done this yet at the same time I am surprised because Metro Services have been targeted today (i.e. when London happened EVERYTHING was shut down).

Regardless I hope everyone stays safe if they're in Brussels or heading that way with Eurostar in the next 48-hours
  • Options

I've just gone on to the Eurostar website and they still plan to run trains into Brussels.

In a sense am glad because you cant show fear to whoever has done this yet at the same time I am surprised because Metro Services have been targeted today (i.e. when London happened EVERYTHING was shut down).

Regardless I hope everyone stays safe if they're in Brussels or heading that way with Eurostar in the next 48-hours

Andrew Neil reporting that eurostar has been suspended. Flights also being rerouted to Frankfurt.
  • Options
    How can anyone say religion is not the causative catalyst for these outrages against freedom. European political back turning and failure to recognise that evil has a breeding place in religion.

This will never end.
  • Options
    I hope your friends / relatives are all ok, they make take down all or part of the Coms network( was told we will and have) and advised send brief texts they stand s better chance of getting through
  • Options
    se9addick said:

LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

se9addick said:

This incident has nothing whatsoever to do with religion or those that follow religion.

No siree.

LuckyReds said:

From Twitter-:

Local media reporting that firemen found other unexploded bombs, federal police confirm at lest one dead at #Brussels airport

Another dark day for society.
    More a dark day for a certain section of society.

Most of society will pull together and show togetherness. A smal minority will continue to shout loudly until such a time that they are eradicated from the face of the planet.

Sad but true.
    I'm detecting a theme in your posts and it isn't one that has shown any condolence to the people affected, in either of your two posts on the subject.

RIP to those killed, I hope the Belgian police get their act together and find those responsible.
    Your spidey senses seem to be in tip top form. However, condolences to those affected are a given in these situations.

You've chosen to post condolences wheras I've posted about the common denominator in all of these tragedies that a lot of people feel uincomfortable highlighting for a multitude of strange reasons.

Each to their own, old chap.

Purely for peace of mind, as wont be able to get a good nights sleep without knowing your stance on this, what part of either of my posts is untrue?
    I think @se9addick is most likely suggesting that, above all, there's a time and a place for those observations. When the news regarding casualties and fatalities is still coming in, and in fact, it turns out the attack is still in progress (i.e the Metro bomb) probably isn't one of those times.

You're correct in that there is a common attribute amongst those involved, however I'd also suggest that there are more common themes than the obvious one though. The situation is more complex than simply "it's all of that lot, y'know - the ones who don't believe what we believe and are a slightly darker shade of our colour!".
    I don't believe, nor have I said, that 'it's all of that lot'. That's the sort of assumption that is banded about whenever issues are raised about a minority of a scetion of society.

The insinuation that there must be racist undertones is offensive in itself. Terrorism isn't defined by colour.
    Nor is it defined by religion, an aspersion you seemingly cast in your initial post.
    Not completely, no. However, it accounts for a large majority of terrorist incidents.

To absolve religion, or the interpretation of it, completely from blame is a dangerous road to tread.

I get that people are scared to call things as they are as they're afraid of upsetting or offending others. The trouble is that if someone gets offended by others calling out the actions of a person that they should be distancing themselves from, purely because they practice a variation of your faith/religion and you see the calling out as a direct attack on your faith, then something is wrong and moral compasses need to be revisited and recalibrated.
    You keep repeating this "people are afraid to say it's the fault of Islam because they're afraid of upsetting others" but it isn't that, people aren't afraid to say it - they just know it isn't true. There are a myriad of factors, this misinterpretation of Islam by some nutters is just one of them.
    So nothing inherently violent about Islam...could have been anyone?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Andrew Neil reporting that eurostar has been suspended. Flights also being rerouted to Frankfurt.
    Website has still to be updated so people heading that way with them might want to call beforehand

http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en

Following the incident in Brussels Airport today we would like to confirm that Eurostar services are running normally. We advise customers to allow extra time for check-in as security checks may take longer. Please be aware that public transport in Brussels may be disrupted.
  • Options

I'm not going to get into Politics today but all I'll say is I am surprised that Angela Merkel is still in charge of Germany.

She was one of the biggest callers in the EU debates to accept people into Europe yet countless have died in Paris and now Brussels because of it, surely they should be standing down?

all of the Paris attackers were EU nationals and not refugees.
    Can you not read the first lines of my comment?

I've said my piece, I'm NOT going to get into a political debate about this today!!

So you decided to crack on and make it one anyway
  • Options
    Live news coverage of these events is absolutely disgraceful as ever. I understands peoples need to get up to date instant information, but I just turned on the BBC News coverage and they were asking some random, clearly shaken guy at the airport if he could tell if the bombs were detonated from suitcase or by a suicide bomber!

Nearly as worse when they asked someone if they could count the amount of dead bodies outside one of the Paris cafes.
  • Options

se9addick said:

LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

se9addick said:

This incident has nothing whatsoever to do with religion or those that follow religion.

No siree.

LuckyReds said:

From Twitter-:

Local media reporting that firemen found other unexploded bombs, federal police confirm at lest one dead at #Brussels airport

Most of society will pull together and show togetherness. A smal minority will continue to shout loudly until such a time that they are eradicated from the face of the planet.

Sad but true.
    I'm detecting a theme in your posts and it isn't one that has shown any condolence to the people affected, in either of your two posts on the subject.

RIP to those killed, I hope the Belgian police get their act together and find those responsible.
    Your spidey senses seem to be in tip top form. However, condolences to those affected are a given in these situations.

You've chosen to post condolences wheras I've posted about the common denominator in all of these tragedies that a lot of people feel uincomfortable highlighting for a multitude of strange reasons.

Purely for peace of mind, as wont be able to get a good nights sleep without knowing your stance on this, what part of either of my posts is untrue?
    I think @se9addick is most likely suggesting that, above all, there's a time and a place for those observations. When the news regarding casualties and fatalities is still coming in, and in fact, it turns out the attack is still in progress (i.e the Metro bomb) probably isn't one of those times.

You're correct in that there is a common attribute amongst those involved, however I'd also suggest that there are more common themes than the obvious one though. The situation is more complex than simply "it's all of that lot, y'know - the ones who don't believe what we believe and are a slightly darker shade of our colour!".
    I don't believe, nor have I said, that 'it's all of that lot'. That's the sort of assumption that is banded about whenever issues are raised about a minority of a scetion of society.

The insinuation that there must be racist undertones is offensive in itself. Terrorism isn't defined by colour.
    Nor is it defined by religion, an aspersion you seemingly cast in your initial post.
    Not completely, no. However, it accounts for a large majority of terrorist incidents.

To absolve religion, or the interpretation of it, completely from blame is a dangerous road to tread.

I get that people are scared to call things as they are as they're afraid of upsetting or offending others. The trouble is that if someone gets offended by others calling out the actions of a person that they should be distancing themselves from, purely because they practice a variation of your faith/religion and you see the calling out as a direct attack on your faith, then something is wrong and moral compasses need to be revisited and recalibrated.
    You keep repeating this "people are afraid to say it's the fault of Islam because they're afraid of upsetting others" but it isn't that, people aren't afraid to say it - they just know it isn't true. There are a myriad of factors, this misinterpretation of Islam by some nutters is just one of them.
    I was responding to the point that people are afraid to say that Islam is the cause, as @Big_Bad_World keeps suggesting. I don't think they are afraid to say it, I'm not, the reason I don't say it is because I think it's a simplistic answer which is incorrect.

Personally I think the reason people do bad things is far more complex than their religion. People of all faiths (and none) do terrible things all the time.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

se9addick said:

No siree.

LuckyReds said:

From Twitter-:

Sad but true.

Correlation isn't always causation, or in this case, the entire causation. To neglect the other issues that many of these attackers have in common - the issues I spoke about before - is just as dangerous as neglecting their religion. You would have to be incredibly shortsighted to avoid the religious aspects though.

I completely agree with you though (despite our exchange so far!) - until people feel that they can speak without fear of being accused of racism and/or islamophobia then these issues will be more difficult to confront. That's not to say that people shouldn't be discussing the other issues at work too.

It's clear that a time has come for more than platitudes, and there must be responsibility taken somewhere for tackling the issue at a grass roots level and via communities and their leaders. This pointless bloodshed must stop.
  • Options
    2/3rd generation immigrants, nothing to do with Isis coming over on boats

RIP all those involved
  • Options
    Reports of at least 10 killed in the metro explosion
  • Options
    se9addick said:

LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

se9addick said:

No siree.

LuckyReds said:

From Twitter-:

Sad but true.

You need to find another echo chamber, you're deluded.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Metro, Tram, Train and Bus networks all closed now apparently. (Source: BBC)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just because the owners we don't like are Belgian doesn't mean that all Belgians are bad people. Most Belgians are perfect people and I stll have nothing against Belium or Belgian people in general.
  • Options
    Every now again you read something so crass on Social Media that you have to double take. Did she really bring the Brexit into this?

• Options

se9addick said:

LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

se9addick said:

No siree.

LuckyReds said:

From Twitter-:

Sad but true.

Wrong, again.

I haven't blamed 'Islam'. No matter how many times you misquote me, it wont make your quotings true.

Interpretations of Islam are at the forefront of these attacks. To suggest otherwise is preposterous.

It's not the fault of 'Islam', no, but it most definitely has something to do with Islam and the interpretations of it.

If you are going to spout bollox, then so am I.

Some might go as far as saying us meddling in Iraq,Libya etc has caused this.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Just because the owners we don't like are Belgian doesn't mean that all Belgians are bad people. Most Belgians are perfect people and I stll have nothing against Belium or Belgian people in general.

What they hell are you on about?
  • Options

eh?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

se9addick said:

No siree.

LuckyReds said:

From Twitter-:

Sad but true.

I was responding to the point that people are afraid to say that Islam is the cause, as @Big_Bad_World keeps suggesting. I don't think they are afraid to say it, I'm not, the reason I don't say it is because I think it's a simplistic answer which is incorrect.

Personally I think the reason people do bad things is far more complex than their religion. People of all faiths (and none) do terrible things all the time.
    How many of those that carry out attrocities, of varying religions/belief systems, do so whilst shouting about how great 'their' god is?

Again, I haven't said that 'Islam is the cause'.

Please refrain from misquoting me. I get that to the untrained eye it slips through the net and, incorrectly, backs you up and makes me seem antisemitic, which is wholly wrong.
  • Options

What they hell are at you on about?
    Basically saying that we might hate Roland / Katrien and that we say; "God I hate Belgians" when we lose a match or when our owners do something bad but at the end of the day it doesnt mean we do hate all Belgians and it doesnt mean that all Belgians are cut from the same cloth