Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Explosion at Brussels airport

Comments

• Options
    LuckyReds said:

My thoughts are with those affected, and I hope - albeit without much expectation - that this was genuinely an accident.

Brussels has many social problems, as does Belgium in general.

Whatever these 'many social problems' a democratic, and free country like Belgium has doesn't justify the bombing and murder of innocent civilians.

Do these people really think this will achieve anything positive? Or is it purely to make our civilised societies more divisive?

• Options
    Pictures on twitter, that I'll not reproduce on here, of at least one person injured at the metro station.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

se9addick said:

This incident has nothing whatsoever to do with religion or those that follow religion.

No siree.

LuckyReds said:

From Twitter-:

Local media reporting that firemen found other unexploded bombs, federal police confirm at lest one dead at #Brussels airport

Another dark day for society.
    More a dark day for a certain section of society.

Most of society will pull together and show togetherness. A smal minority will continue to shout loudly until such a time that they are eradicated from the face of the planet.

Sad but true.
    I'm detecting a theme in your posts and it isn't one that has shown any condolence to the people affected, in either of your two posts on the subject.

RIP to those killed, I hope the Belgian police get their act together and find those responsible.
    Your spidey senses seem to be in tip top form. However, condolences to those affected are a given in these situations.

You've chosen to post condolences wheras I've posted about the common denominator in all of these tragedies that a lot of people feel uincomfortable highlighting for a multitude of strange reasons.

Each to their own, old chap.

Purely for peace of mind, as wont be able to get a good nights sleep without knowing your stance on this, what part of either of my posts is untrue?
    I think @se9addick is most likely suggesting that, above all, there's a time and a place for those observations. When the news regarding casualties and fatalities is still coming in, and in fact, it turns out the attack is still in progress (i.e the Metro bomb) probably isn't one of those times.

You're correct in that there is a common attribute amongst those involved, however I'd also suggest that there are more common themes than the obvious one though. The situation is more complex than simply "it's all of that lot, y'know - the ones who don't believe what we believe and are a slightly darker shade of our colour!".
    I don't believe, nor have I said, that 'it's all of that lot'. That's the sort of assumption that is banded about whenever issues are raised about a minority of a scetion of society.

The insinuation that there must be racist undertones is offensive in itself. Terrorism isn't defined by colour.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    NEW: Brussels metro shutting down the entire system following reports of 3 explosions at different stations.
  • Options
    Molenbeek in the Belgian districts just seems a dangerous place to go these days and seeing that the Paris attacker was hiding in there for so long, something needs to be done about that area...

Almost like the Kings Estate in Gravesend where everyone dispersed to new locations to try and stop the trouble from happening!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm not going to get into Politics today but all I'll say is I am surprised that Angela Merkel is still in charge of Germany.

She was one of the biggest callers in the EU debates to accept people into Europe yet countless have died in Paris and now Brussels because of it, surely they should be standing down?

all of the Paris attackers were EU nationals and not refugees.
    Sometimes a post is so ignorant it's not even worth responding @kentaddick !
  • Options
    My thoughts and prayers to everyone involved and their families and friends. My thoughts and prayers to the people of Brussels.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    One of the first video in Brussels terminal right after the explosion. Reports of shouts in Arabic and shots.

thats from an eyewitness, doesnt exactly require sherlock to work out whats gone on.

• Options
    Stig said:

I'm not going to get into Politics today but all I'll say is I am surprised that Angela Merkel is still in charge of Germany.

She was one of the biggest callers in the EU debates to accept people into Europe yet countless have died in Paris and now Brussels because of it, surely they should be standing down?

Can you not read the first lines of my comment?

I've said my piece, I'm NOT going to get into a political debate about this today!!
    So, you're allowed to say what you want, but no one can respond?
    People are more than welcome to post their views just dont get into an argument with me over it.
  • Options
    Makes you remember that football is extremely irrelevant when we have things like this regularly happening both in the UK and abroad.Thoughts go out to the people involved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Addickted said:

LuckyReds said:

My thoughts are with those affected, and I hope - albeit without much expectation - that this was genuinely an accident.

Brussels has many social problems, as does Belgium in general.

Whatever these 'many social problems' a democratic, and free country like Belgium has doesn't justify the bombing and murder of innocent civilians.

Do these people really think this will achieve anything positive? Or is it purely to make our civilised societies more divisive?

My last post on the issues behind the attack, because this one incorrectly implies that I've claimed a form of justification. I've never said these issues justify anything, and not only is that incredibly unfair - but it's simply untrue.

I have implied that the social issues in areas like Molenbeek have directly aided the recruiting efforts of extremist groups, and essentially facilitated terrorist actions via this. Making an observation about issues with aid and facilitate a given incident, is not justifying the incident itself.

It's the confusion between the differences of "justification" and "examination" which stifles any serious discussion regarding how these tragic events actually begin.
  • Options
    My colleague's son travels there every so often for work and says it is like an airport all over Brussels with such a high level of police presence.

Thoughts with those involved and I hope it's only those responsible who have died - though this will inevitably not be the case.
  • Options

Can you not read the first lines of my comment?

I've said my piece, I'm NOT going to get into a political debate about this today!!
    To be fair, maybe you should never have said your comment in the first place. You cannot say something on a public forum, especially something highly divisive, then instantly dismiss anyone for having a counter point.

As ever my thoughts with those effected by this. It sucks that this somewhat feels routine now.
    Your right... I should have held off posting and will hold my hands up to that fact
  • Options

That is factually incorrect.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

LuckyReds said:

se9addick said:

This incident has nothing whatsoever to do with religion or those that follow religion.

No siree.

LuckyReds said:

From Twitter-:

Local media reporting that firemen found other unexploded bombs, federal police confirm at lest one dead at #Brussels airport

Another dark day for society.
    More a dark day for a certain section of society.

Most of society will pull together and show togetherness. A smal minority will continue to shout loudly until such a time that they are eradicated from the face of the planet.

Sad but true.
    I'm detecting a theme in your posts and it isn't one that has shown any condolence to the people affected, in either of your two posts on the subject.

RIP to those killed, I hope the Belgian police get their act together and find those responsible.
    Your spidey senses seem to be in tip top form. However, condolences to those affected are a given in these situations.

You've chosen to post condolences wheras I've posted about the common denominator in all of these tragedies that a lot of people feel uincomfortable highlighting for a multitude of strange reasons.

Each to their own, old chap.

Purely for peace of mind, as wont be able to get a good nights sleep without knowing your stance on this, what part of either of my posts is untrue?
    I think @se9addick is most likely suggesting that, above all, there's a time and a place for those observations. When the news regarding casualties and fatalities is still coming in, and in fact, it turns out the attack is still in progress (i.e the Metro bomb) probably isn't one of those times.

You're correct in that there is a common attribute amongst those involved, however I'd also suggest that there are more common themes than the obvious one though. The situation is more complex than simply "it's all of that lot, y'know - the ones who don't believe what we believe and are a slightly darker shade of our colour!".
    I don't believe, nor have I said, that 'it's all of that lot'. That's the sort of assumption that is banded about whenever issues are raised about a minority of a scetion of society.

The insinuation that there must be racist undertones is offensive in itself. Terrorism isn't defined by colour.
    Once again, just to settle another misquotation.

Nor is terrorism simply defined by religion, an implication you were very quick to cast in your initial post.
  • Options
    Puts our plight into perspective.

Hope all of your loved ones are safe and sound.
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

That is factually incorrect.
    Source? Everything I've ever seen and continue to see (just did a quick google) points at them all having been eu nationals. Happy to be educated otherwise