Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Maybe Duchatelet hasn't got it wrong

Comments

• edited March 2016
    seth plum said:

People call her Tay Tay, but my son calls her T Swizzle.

Yummmmm! Swizzel's: so much sugar, so few teeth.

BTW for a bargain £749, Swizzel's will provide 2,500 rolls of Love Hearts with a personalised message......

shop.lovehearts.com/corporate/love-hearts-bulk-personalised-wrapped
  • cafcfan said:

seth plum said:

BTW for a bargain £749, Swizzel's will provide 2,500 rolls of Love Hearts with a personalised message......

Are you thinking what I'm thinking??????

If so, you probably should seek help.

If you're thinking the other thing that I'm thinking, a nudge towards CARD might be a wise move....
  • drewman said:

look you lot I'M NOT FUCKING STUPID I am just putting an alternative point of view, not necessarily one that I necessarily agree with but thought that it needed airing for intelligent discussion - it seems that is not the case

But its not really an alternative view? Its suggesting that RD has put his faith in people beneath him, ie KM, who have got it wrong. He is still ultimately responsible. He has not interfered yet in the youth teams (thank god) and the matchday experiences have produced mixed results. The pitch needed relaying and as someone said, would have been factored into the price, although some say Kermorgant's sale financed this anyway so what do we believe? I don't think you are presenting an alternative argument, just a slightly different one. I don't think any attempt that is perceived as defending the Belgians will be well received, as is evident from the abuse the likes of colin receive when they attempt to stir up controversy by sympathising with the Belgian lunatics.
    Not read all the previous statements on this thread.

Am I the first to disagree with this statement :-)
  • Where is Colin? This thread was almost made for him
  • Thanks for the reasoned debate which is why I started this thread.

My view is that he should replace KM now, she has completely failed to understand the ethos that is our club, she has completely mismanaged the recruitment of football coaches as well as upsetting a lot of good club staff and mismanaged her relationship with the fans.

As for RD, there are a number of foreign owners who stay away, if he admits his mistakes, recruits a competent CEO and gives that person the freedom and budget to make us a competitive Championship team then OK. If not please sell up and go.

My apology to all for blowing my top yesterday but sometimes things Charlton just get to me!

I suspect she now has a much better idea of the ethos of the club than he does.
  • Your looking at this objectively which is right. Most people are not naturally evil....it's just he's very good at interfering stupidly with the most important part and the thing that everyone cares about the most. The success of the 1st team...ultimately defines the direction of Charlton.

So all the other "nice things" that he does becomes almost completely irrelevant and he will stupidly feel unappreciated.

It's like living in a beautiful area perhaps by the beach or something....but you actually live in a shed with no roof, heating or important utilities. What's the F* cking point, you can't enjoy or really appricate your surroundings if your most important needs are not being met. The club is now a general shambles alot of things even now off the pitch are hopelessly wrong.

I also think there maybe some truth in what you said about him not having a clue how the club is actually being run and hes TRUSTED the wrong people. It's still all his fault though.

He is stil a wanker. (This bit included as flag repellent)

• cafcfan said:

seth plum said:

If you're thinking the other thing that I'm thinking, a nudge towards CARD might be a wise move....
    Does anything you are thinking involve Mrs O'Malley's sweet shop in Enniskillen and Ritchie's Cinnamon Lozenges?
  • What about the list of inexperienced, hopeless coaches/ managers?

Which is top of the list of all the f*** ups.
  • look you lot I'M NOT FUCKING STUPID I am just putting an alternative point of view, not necessarily one that I necessarily agree with but thought that it needed airing for intelligent discussion - it seems that is not the case

Well done LL. I always like an alternative view.

I agree with the first part of your piece. However, he has been so slow to listen, not only to fans but also the football media and ex-players who agree that the Belgian only managerial merry-go-round has been crazy and the player recruitment. He could have listened and invested in good talent scouts and an experienced manager and saved millions in the long run.

I've said the situation makes me more sad than angry.
  • I actually read and considered you thoughts but you don't help your argument by telling people the should F - Off and tha they are stupid!

The arguments about the investment in the academy and ground are seductive but are undermined by a wider consideration of RD's " model", appallingly inconsistent and ineffectual mangement, lack of understanding of English football (or any football!) and supporters, coupled with plain old fashioned arrogance and stubbornness.

And Katrien!

So no he has not got it right!
  • Sponsored links:

• IAgree
    I didn't say anyone is stupid, just that I'm not
  • IAgree
    I didn't say anyone is stupid, just that I'm not

My bad
  • What about the list of inexperienced, hopeless coaches/ managers?

Which is top of the list of all the f*** ups.
    Getting rid of Yann, Dale & Morro aren't far behind.
  • Apparently a while back I wrote something in response to the original post by LL saying that I certainly agree with some of what is said. I never finished, didn't post, and have come back to a discussion on TSwift's nicknames (I think I'm outdated going with TSwift and not TSwizzle, though I think whoever went with "Tay Tay" is SO 2012).
  • edited March 2016
    Friends, Charlton fans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
    I come to bury Duchatelet, not to praise him.
    The evil that men do lives after them;
    The good is oft interred with their bones;
    So let it be with Roland. The noble Henry,
    Hath told you Duchatelet was A tight Arse:
    If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
    And grievously hath Douchebag answer'd it.
    Here, under leave of Airman and the rest--
    For Charlton fans are honourable men and Women;
    So are they all, all honourable men and women who doth protest;
    against the shrew Katrien and the follies of this template.
    Come I to speak in Roly's funeral.
  • Thanks for the post SDAddick - very thought provoking.

However, rightly or wrongly, short term success is primarily judged by "on field success", measured against realistic expectations. I would respectfully suggest that our expectations are between a safe Championship mid-table to Championship promotion seeking team.

The whole structure of the club is not set to achieve this short term aim. We suffer from a succession of coaches totally inexperienced in, and thus totally inadequate for, managing a Championship team. This, supported seemingly by inadequate coaches, leading to inadequate players, leading to our league position, which doesn't lie.

We are managed by a CEO who is totally out of her depth and who doesn't understand the importance of fans to a successful model. She doesn't understand that supporting a team is emotionally-based to a point that supporting a team is monogamous (many of us divorce wives but we never divorce ourselves from our chosen football team).

I agree that longer term ambitions may be based upon achieving sustainable long term Premier League status and to achieve that an excellent academy is one of, but not the sole, jigsaw pieces. I see no point in investing first in the academy at the expense of on-field short term success. Brick-by-brick should be the building plan but we are starting from a point of a glue-like bog, supporting a vision of despair.

Incidentally, does the "SD" in your name refer to South Dakota or am I wide of the mark?

Best regards
  • cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

seth plum said:

Does anything you are thinking involve Mrs O'Malley's sweet shop in Enniskillen and Ritchie's Cinnamon Lozenges?
    Is Mrs O'Malley's still open?
  • Sponsored links:

• centurion said:

cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

seth plum said:

I don't know, though, in my opinion, Enniskillen went seriously downhill when Hanna's was taken over by Eason's.
  • edited March 2016
    PeterGage said:

Thanks for the post SDAddick - very thought provoking.

However, rightly or wrongly, short term success is primarily judged by "on field success", measured against realistic expectations. I would respectfully suggest that our expectations are between a safe Championship mid-table to Championship promotion seeking team.

The whole structure of the club is not set to achieve this short term aim. We suffer from a succession of coaches totally inexperienced in, and thus totally inadequate for, managing a Championship team. This, supported seemingly by inadequate coaches, leading to inadequate players, leading to our league position, which doesn't lie.

We are managed by a CEO who is totally out of her depth and who doesn't understand the importance of fans to a successful model. She doesn't understand that supporting a team is emotionally-based to a point that supporting a team is monogamous (many of us divorce wives but we never divorce ourselves from our chosen football team).

I agree that longer term ambitions may be based upon achieving sustainable long term Premier League status and to achieve that an excellent academy is one of, but not the sole, jigsaw pieces. I see no point in investing first in the academy at the expense of on-field short term success. Brick-by-brick should be the building plan but we are starting from a point of a glue-like bog, supporting a vision of despair.

Incidentally, does the "SD" in your name refer to South Dakota or am I wide of the mark?

Best regards

A very interesting read, and I largely agree. The place where I would differ, and this is somewhat semantics, is the notion that they should be judged solely on short term success. I think you can do a lot of things right, have a good manager, have decent players, and still have poor results. Given the status of the Championship this year, if they were getting everything else right but we were still in the position we're in, it would be hard to forgive. That said, there are scenarios in which teams do a lot of things right and still go down. Fulham have a group of decent players, have invested in their academy and have a mixture of young players and experienced Champo players with some from overseas, and a very good manager experienced in this league, and they are still flirting with relegation. There are certainly flaws there, mostly in their last couple of managerial decisions, but hopefully you see the point I'm trying to make. Sometimes football results can be fickle.

The other thing I would add is that a future in the Premier League should be A goal but not THE goal. With the money on offer, we've already seen the following teams taken over by Billionaires who seem willing to bankroll their way to the Premier League (where the real money is perceived to be):
    Fulham, Forest, QPR, Hull, Boro, Brentford, Reading, Cardiff (possibly more, this is just top of my head), this is not to mention Bournemouth and Watford who went up last year.

QPR, Forest, and Cardiff have all had transfer bans for their spending. And we need to only look at Bolton, Blackpool, or Wigan to see how quickly this model can fail.

My point is, in my mind, ensuring Championship continuity, through developing young players and investing in a good scouting network should be top priority. From there, it is always possible to have results go your way and find yourself in and around the playoffs or battling for promotion. Where I do agree with what Roland has *said*, and where I think he differs from other owners in a good way, is that he is not willing to JUST throw money at the problem. That out of the way, the way and the places where money is invested, or not invested, has been largely poor and illogical.

As far as not having the experienced personnel, I completely agree, and I put the blame for that solely on Roland. That also feeds into the poor investment decisions above.

Lastly, you're the second in as many days on here to ask about the SD=South Dakota thing. It actually stands for San Diego, a city I moved away from a couple weeks ago (good forsight on choosing a name there). Given I've lived most of my life in cities, South Dakota, beautiful though it is meant to be, would almost certainly kill me with it's wildlife and nature in ten minutes.
  • I fear we may be the Congo to Roland's King Leopold of Belgium
  • Interesting how acute the condemnation has been of this set of owners as soon as a really poor season happens.

I am aware that football has changed etc etc, that expectations have moved on, especially with supporters, but I don't recollect this level of hostility to the Gliksten's (who engaged with no one, and spent nothing on either players or the ground for nearly twenty years) when they presided over two relegations to the third tier (1972 and 1980)......the first of these being wholly avoidable.

Nor do I recollect this level of hostility towards Mark Hulyer, who effectively bankrupted us, in 1983/84.

Duchatelet has made - in my opinion - two serious and related errors. (1) Prior to purchasing Charlton he doesn't appear to have sought advice (from anyone) about how strong a league the Championship actually is, especially in contrast to the levels his other sides play at in Europe, and how much, therefore, he needed to invest in a side at our current level, and (2) He has selected his managers from a incredibly narrow field.......possibly the narrowest of any of the 23 English clubs that are now foreign owned.

Will it be fatal? No (he must be the wealthiest owner we've had since the hey day of the Gliksten's in the 30's and 40's) but we might not climb back to the Championship for a long time unless he changes tack.

One possibility - theoretical at this stage - not discussed is what might happen in the event of a Brexit. As a committed - like most Belgians - EU supporter would Roland sell up? Or would he keep us, but give up on further investment, and concentrate on Sint Truiden, Ujpest and Alcorcon? (Leaving us as a weak League One, going on League Two side?)

Anyway..........the investment in infrastructure + the continuation of the youth policy + the bringing in of a number of decent players (ok.....we could dispute who and at what cost, but, we've now got 10 full internationals in the squad) are all positives.

But he has undermined his own efforts (and our Championship survival) with the 2 failings shown above.
  • centurion said:

cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

seth plum said:

I don't know, though, in my opinion, Enniskillen went seriously downhill when Hanna's was taken over by Eason's.
    I would put equal weight on the replacement of Woolworths with B and M Bargains. Or the deliberate lack of an Omagh Express bus - instead they have one that takes about 3 hours and goes around so many holes in the hedges it makes Katrien's statements look very direct!
  • LoOkOuT said:

I accept that, if the Duchatelet model actually worked, it would not be likely that the protests would have generated momentum. Indeed, had the regime genuinely addressed last season's unrest and the original Spell It Out campaign, they might even have avoided protests even with the model.

I have to disagree with this bit. It's clear to me that Duchatelet's model is completely at odds with our notion of what constitutes a football club. The number one cause of dissatisfaction is that the club no longer "feels" right. Couple that with disaster on the pitch and incompetence in the senior management and we are where we are.

It's not xenophobia. It's a distaste for a model with compete disregard for the legacy of the club. The only way they could have "genuinely addressed last season's unrest" was to completely change the model. The model is flawed, as we can see, but it's the only thing driving Roland's interest in football. It's not the beautiful game; it's a numbers game.

Duchatelet is using our club to build a monument to his own stupidity. By using our club, he's trampling the memories and achievements of generations of Charlton supporters, players, management and custodians; doing virtually irreparable damage to our legacy in order to build his own.

By all means Roland, start your own English football club. Drive success from the Conference to the Football League and then mount a claim in each successive division with whatever model you so choose. Prove to us that you're model works. Prove your genius to the world. Prove the superiority of numbers.

Just leave our club to us.
    I don't disagree with anything that you have said, it's just that, if the regime had been amazingly lucky this season with injuries, and the team looked competitive, the numbers willing to protest would have been less. Look at the numbers, thankfully declining, that see no point in complaining, even now.

Also, a significant part of our feeling of disconnect with the club at the moment is down to the lack of even the semblance of them listening to the fans.

I feel that the model is totally wrong, and I have felt for more than this season that the Academy is only being developed as a kind of puppy farm (Roland knows that Premier League clubs will pay a premium for half-decent English players).

• at a recent match I chatted to one of our supporters who I hadn't met for some time. He attends a lot of home and away games and has supported the team for many years.
    He pointed to my black and white scarf saying that he did not agree with it and having been a regular on CL now rarely visits.
    He does not agree with the protests as he sees no alternative to RD and from what he said does not think that the Varney alternative is feasible. He does not like some of the protests with the obscene chants nor the whistleblowing during the Middlesbro' match.

I am not saying that he is right but he has a point of view which I expect is shared by more than 2% of our fans and they should not be ignored. CARD need to find a way of persuading these fans and need to ensure that the protests do not further antagonise them.
  • edited March 2016

Sorry, but Duchatelet is up there with David Icke. He'll be wearing a pink shell suit next.

David Icke is about to do a world tour infront of hundreds of thousands of people live.

The difference is when he talks people listen. Roland however no one cares what he says :)

Also most of what Icke says is true and has come true, time and time he has been proven to be correct. Duchatelet however is always wrong!!!

I also believe we are ruled by lizards so there ya go :)

Lol away :)