Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What prompted the change in statement tone?

Comments

• He doesn't like news of the protest going international. He is losing face and it's hurting.
  • I can't help wondering if the first Mel Baroni knew of it was a message last night suggesting she check Twitter.

Could be. If she knew about it previously and authorised it, it's a sign that she is out of her depth. If she didn't know about it and it happened over her head then it's a wake up call for her as it shows what this regime is really all about. If the latter is true, I feel sorry for her. She left what appears to be a good job to take this on.
  • I can only assume that the sound on his normal live stream of our matches is poor, and protest chants are not audible. But if he was watching on Sky on Sunday he would have heard loud and clear the chants of Roland Out, he has been told by KM that it is only a small proportion of the fans (2%) are protesting, he now knows he is being lied to.
  • Kap10 said:

I worked for a guy like RD who would ignore all his team and do the stupid. Poor Mel must be dusting down her CV.

If she's any sense she will be.
    If she's got any sense she'll say she either fell down a black hole for a few weeks or went traveling
  • If Katy has written this, which I think is fair to assume is the case, the PR (if the club has one) must be totally useless.

I did hear a while ago that the CAFC "management structure" was packed with "consultants", lets face it a good consultant is always going to tell you what you want to hear and then take money out your wallet, it is what they do!

Perhaps there is simply no one about her to tell her she's wrong, think the kids story - The Emperors Clothes!

• Forgetting to take some of his medication?
  • The word from those ITK is that it is almost certainly all Roland's work and against other's advice.

We have always been told that his weakness is communication but I thought it was just the lack of. Now we know that zero communication is his best level.

I think that he has not been aware of the true level and nature of the protests. Sunday must have come as a huge shock. More pressure from Belgian media may have pushed him to do his own research, the results of which must have come as a great shock. He's obviously very angry with the fans. He's probably also angry with KM et al for keeping him in the dark, hence not taking their advice regarding publishing the statement.

Target RD, not 20k.
  • Those are Roland's words.
    He has been taking PR advice from a chap called Ratner.....
  • Hex said:

Target RD, not 20k.

absolutely
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2016
    Hex said:

The word from those ITK is that it is almost certainly all Roland's work and against other's advice.

We have always been told that his weakness is communication but I thought it was just the lack of. Now we know that zero communication is his best level.

I think that he has not been aware of the true level and nature of the protests. Sunday must have come as a huge shock. More pressure from Belgian media may have pushed him to do his own research, the results of which must have come as a great shock. He's obviously very angry with the fans. He's probably also angry with KM et al for keeping him in the dark, hence not taking their advice regarding publishing the statement.

Target RD, not 20k.

I believe that (apart from the odd match he saw at The Valley) the only games RD has ever seen, are televised ones, regardless of what Meire the Liar says. The last two televised matches have featured protests, and it makes the club management look bad. Obviously the level of protest at this match was above and beyond the previous one because the campaign was in it's infancy back then. I think the entire management team are starting to see why they were warned against angering Charlton fans, and they don't like what is happening one bit. Clearly they are not clever enough to think of proper ways to deflect the protests and eventually someone has cracked. They are running scared.
  • Hex said:

The word from those ITK is that it is almost certainly all Roland's work and against other's advice.

Target RD, not 20k.

I believe that (apart from the odd match he saw at The Valley) the only games RD has ever seen, are televised ones, regardless of what Meire the Liar says. The last two televised matches have featured protests, and it makes the club management look bad. Obviously the level of protest at this match was above and beyond the previous one because the campaign was in it's infancy back then. I think the entire management team are starting to see why they were warned against angering Charlton fans, and they don't like what is happening one bit. Clearly they are not clever enough to think of proper ways to deflect the protests and eventually someone has cracked. They are running scared.
    I believe that you are right :smile:
  • Hex said:

Target RD, not 20k.

I think the entire management team are starting to see why they were warned against angering Charlton fans, and they don't like what is happening one bit. Clearly they are not clever enough to think of proper ways to deflect the protests and eventually someone has cracked. They are running scared.
    Tony Keohane looks like IDS-light. I think Tony would have an automatic involuntary bowell movement if someone shouted boo in his ear, he's definitely one who will be running scared at thoughts of a change in owner.

• Mackle said:

Hex said:

Target RD, not 20k.

I think the entire management team are starting to see why they were warned against angering Charlton fans, and they don't like what is happening one bit. Clearly they are not clever enough to think of proper ways to deflect the protests and eventually someone has cracked. They are running scared.
    Tony Keohane looks like IDS-light. I think Tony would have an automatic involuntary bowell movement if someone shouted boo in his ear, he's definitely one who will be running scared at thoughts of a change in owner.

A number of those who appeared in the fans forum video are running scared of losing their jobs ... once they go, not one of them will ever have such a high-profile job again. That's why they have closed ranks and, to the extent they can (prior to the Boro game on tv), kept most of what is happening away from Roland. Even if RD stays, I can't see him now keeping all of these people on the payroll.
  • edited March 2016
    This isn't the first change in tone - although it is the quickest change we've seen. On the contrary though, I'd like to point out a pattern:

First, they tried to ignore the protests.
    Later, some of them were seen to be laughing at the protests.
    Now, they appear to want to fight the protests.

Doesn't anyone know what's supposed to come next?
  • Maybe Roland has seen and read about the huge success of Sunday's protests and has felt the need to lash-out. Who knows, given the unattributable statement ?

I doubt that the statement is Chimay-fuelled; I suspect it simply reflects the extent to which he is out of touch with what is happening on the ground and the real and substantial reputational damage which he is suffering - and will continue to suffer - as the campaign escalates.

Objectively, he has only two questions to ponder now (once he and his subordinates calm down):

1. first, can this situation be salvaged ? and

2. if not, what is the best time to extricate himself from CAFC on the best possible terms ?

The enemy are on the run.
  • When you think about it – Katrien would have cleared the original statement as CEO – probably written by Mel. So it can only be Roland – which is what has been reported. Katrien, probably realised that this message was not helpful but he is a deluded mad fool and anybody that doesn’t see the urgency of getting him out – surely does now. If Katrien resigned over this, she would gain some respect back from me.
  • Blucher said:

2. if not, what is the best time to extricate himself from CAFC on the best possible terms ?

Kind of like what he went through at the end of the Liege experiment.
  • edited March 2016

When you think about it – Katrien would have cleared the original statement as CEO – probably written by Mel. So it can only be Roland – which is what has been reported. Katrien, probably realised that this message was not helpful but he is a deluded mad fool and anybody that doesn’t see the urgency of getting him out – surely does now. If Katrien resigned over this, she would gain some respect back from me.

If Katrien resigned I would genuinely be happy for her, this must be taking a toll on her health. She's getting sod all out of being CEO of this club - yes, she's proving to be a major failure - but realistically what can she do?

She's being employed by a coward who mistakenly sees a revolutionary when he looks in the mirror, and rather than put his own head above the parapet he places a someone who's only really just beginning her career. She's not equipped to deal with the level of publicity and negativity she's getting, and her own lack of experience combined with inflated ego means she's consistently digging herself deeper.

That said, until she takes the step of resigning, she is - sadly - most definitely the enemy.
  • The statement has cleared up one thing. It's removed any doubts some may have had and confirmed Roland is a senile, self-important, deluded old git who is woefully out of touch with the world away from his sycophantic employees.
  • Sponsored links:

• LuckyReds said:

When you think about it – Katrien would have cleared the original statement as CEO – probably written by Mel. So it can only be Roland – which is what has been reported. Katrien, probably realised that this message was not helpful but he is a deluded mad fool and anybody that doesn’t see the urgency of getting him out – surely does now. If Katrien resigned over this, she would gain some respect back from me.

She's getting sod all out of being CEO of this club
    A shitload of money surely?

And invitations to appear at events in Dublin expenses paid, interviews with Parisian newspapers expenses paid, sit in the directors box and have the top level of hospitality at every football game FOC, etc etc.

I'd happily take being smuggled around in a wicker laundry bin in and out of vans for that last one.
  • Mackle said:

LuckyReds said:

And invitations to appear at events in Dublin expenses paid, interviews with Parisian newspapers expenses paid, sit in the directors box and have the top level of hospitality at every football game FOC, etc etc.

I'd happily take being smuggled around in a wicker laundry bin in and out of vans for that last one.
    I'd quite like to see her salary, because if other salaries in the club are anything to go by - i.e Head of Comms - I reckon she may not be getting such an amazing deal. Perhaps good enough for someone with her lack of reputation and experience, but in the future her name as a brand will have all sorts of negative connotations; and as you mention with her conference and news appearances - I think Katrien wants her name to mean something and have some credibility behind it.

As a fan we'd all probably jump at the chance to do her work for the same salaries we earn at the moment, but hot air aside - does she have any more connection with the club now compared to when she most likely first heard about the club in 2014?
  • LuckyReds said:

This isn't the first change in tone - although it is the quickest change we've seen. On the contrary though, I'd like to point out a pattern:

First, they tried to ignore the protests.
    Later, some of them were seen to be laughing at the protests.
    Now, they appear to want to fight the protests.

Doesn't anyone know what's supposed to come next?

Run
  • LuckyReds said:

Mackle said:

LuckyReds said:

I'd quite like to see her salary, because if other salaries in the club are anything to go by - i.e Head of Comms - I reckon she may not be getting such an amazing deal. Perhaps good enough for someone with her lack of reputation and experience, but in the future her name as a brand will have all sorts of negative connotations; and as you mention with her conference and news appearances - I think Katrien wants her name to mean something and have some credibility behind it.

As a fan we'd all probably jump at the chance to do her work for the same salaries we earn at the moment, but hot air aside - does she have any more connection with the club now compared to when she most likely first heard about the club in 2014?
    As she's said that she doesn't care about the pre-Roland history, I would guess not - unless you count antipathy towards the fan base as a connection?
  • I think personally due to Rolands wealth people around him all do as he says while cupping his balls in one hand and tiggaling his arse with the other, afraid of upsetting him or going against him. He is clearly used to everyone doing as they are told and after watching Sunday's game now can't handle the revolt and like a spoilt child has spat his dummy out at the fact people have turned against him and he's not calling the shots, he's lack of experience of this meant he doesn't know how to deal with it or respond appropriately.

Roland is in uncharted water and is sulking like a baby, scared and hurt.
  • LoOkOuT said:

smiffyboy said:

people around him all do as he says while cupping his balls in one hand and tiggaling his arse with the other

I can't wait to be rich!
    I want to be richer, so that its someone else's arse.
  • smiffyboy said:

I think personally due to Rolands wealth people around him all do as he says while cupping his balls in one hand and tiggaling his arse with the other, afraid of upsetting him or going against him. He is clearly used to everyone doing as they are told and after watching Sunday's game now can't handle the revolt and like a spoilt child has spat his dummy out at the fact people have turned against him and he's not calling the shots, he's lack of experience of this meant he doesn't know how to deal with it or respond appropriately.

Roland is in uncharted water and is sulking like a baby, scared and hurt.

I realise that being middle aged I am not in touch with the latest sexual practices. I have never, to my knowledge, had my arse tiggaled. Is this something I should encourage Mr Tatters to do? If yes then what is the best way to ask him?
    I think this is time for the inbox!
  • Perhaps over some Stella Artois?