Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Bonkers Statement from Club - the infamous {...} one

Comments

• Options
    iamdan said:
    Can't read it because I use an ad blocker. They scramble the site until I turn it off, which I wont do for them. Any chance of a copy and paste of the article?
  • Options
    Talking about it on Radio 5 right now...
  • Options

iamdan said:
    Can't read it because I use an ad blocker. They scramble the site until I turn it off, which I wont do for them. Any chance of a copy and paste of the article?
    Here you go, the quickest cut n paste in history!:

Charlton owner Roland Duchatelet has been condemned by a leading fan representative's group after a club statement criticised supporters for protesting his ownership.

The Football Supporters' Federation (FSF) described the club statement, which alleged that some fans have come to games deliberately to wreak havoc, as a "desperate attempt by Duchatelet to divide the club's fan base".

Charlton's statement alleged that some fans "seem to want the club to fail" following protests during the team's 2-0 victory over Middlesbrough on Sunday that included beach balls being hurled onto the pitch, a mock funeral procession and a walkout after 74 minutes. One fan ran onto the pitch while others blew whistles.

Read more: Why Roland Duchatelet's project at Charlton is failing

"Last Sunday, some individuals did not come to The Valley to watch the game and support the team, but came to create disorder on the pitch and interfere with the players and the game," the statement read.

Charlton fans are calling for absentee owner Duchatelet, who purchased the club for around £14m in January 2014 but has only attended a handful of games, to sell the club.

But such hopes were dismissed in the statement which has sparked fury amongst supporters.

"Charlton Athletic fans' protest group the Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (Card) clearly has support amongst the club's fan base and this seems a desperate attempt by Duchatelet to divide the club's fan base," read a statement from the FSF.

"It won't work. This ill-thought-out statement is simply pouring petrol on the flames."

The statement also made reference to controversial remarks from chief executive Katrien Meire in which she compared football with going to the cinema or restaurants, claiming she had been misrepresented.

At a tech summit in November Meire commented: "I think the difference is also because fans don't see themselves as customers and…they go to the restaurants with their families every week and they go to the cinema but if they aren't satisfied with the product will they go and scream to the people in charge of it? No they don't, but they do it with a football club and that's very weird."

Charlton are currently in the Championship relegation zone and five points from safety.

Fans have been unhappy with a lack of progress in the league, the departure of popular players and longstanding members of staff and the appointment of four different head coaches with zero Championship experience.

Protests calling on Duchatelet to sell Charlton after most home matches this year and led a successful campaign to convince energy drink Coco5 not to consider a sponsorship deal with the club.

• Options
    Well, briefly anyway. General sympathy for the fans - the owners are clearly lacking ambition, the fans have a right to expect more, the statement was a pr nightmare etc. - then they trotted out the old 'remember when charlton fans were complaining about finishing 7th under curbishley...

Still, just another example of roland creating bad publicity for himself. We're definitely winning the argument...
  • Options
    Having read the statement all I could think was this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vSe-mmw
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Ben18 said:

Is that Naby ? :-)
  • Options
    Great post @Grapevine49
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Mr. Happy said:

cabbles said:

Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but who, when and where did he meet with the fans????

Haven't read through the next 22 pages of the thread (it's gonna be a fun morning!), so apologies if someone else has already answered your question...

Nobody.
    Never.
    Nowhere.

Are the answers.
    You've got a cracking post coming up pal, the entire story is re-told using the medium of Taylor Swift.

Whoever did it was some sort of Creative Genius, and - in my opinion - should probably be hired by Charlton to spice up their fan engagement strategy. I think it's a much more novel approach than simply insulting the fans, and even if you do - nobody can be upset when they're insulted by a pretty face after all!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    meldrew66 said:

We are in so much trouble with this guy it scares me.

The like was an agreement rather than a like!
  • Options
    Preserved in its full glory.

• Options

I think that if Roly announced that the process of selling the club had begun I am pretty sure that it would give the players a boost, the fans would get on side and we would somehow manage to avoid relegation.

There you go Roly, balls in your court.

But would anyone believe him?
  • Options

He does have an enemy but it's not us. It's himself. And sooner or later, he'll be defeated by himself.

great post Jessie. He may be his own worst enemy, but I hope us fans are running him a close second.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hi Jessieassick, great to have addicks from afar! I love the Chinese saying that 'harmony brings wealth'. If only CAFC had it at the moment. But this proud club did once.

Yes absolutely.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

CAFCsayer said:
    Helps having Mark Kleiman there, who is a fan :smile:
    Joe Hall is a fan too - he's been writing about us a lot.
  • Options
    I will sign this only once, classic!
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

TelMc32 said:

CAFCsayer said:
    Helps having Mark Kleiman there, who is a fan :smile:
    Joe Hall is a fan too - he's been writing about us a lot.
    Good to hear @LouisMend

I've seen all Joe's articles, but couldn't see anywhere that he was actually a fan.