Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FA open investigation - according to the Standard

Comments

• The FA? Surprised anyone there has even noticed.
  • Good. They should discover what caused it.

Perhaps they will introduce a license for owners. As coaches must have FA pro licences, owners who tell professional coaches how to do their job will have to have the same qualifications. Otherwise it undermines the badge.
  • They should look into the root of the problem, if people invade the pitch or disrupt the match at a derby, this is probably due to rivalry. If they do it due to reasons such as this, the FA should be looking to ask the fans why they feel the need to go this far. Looking into it does not stop the problem. Let's hope they slap a big fine on to the owners and then we will keep going, we are Charlton, not the owners, so the reason must be pretty damn serious if we are stopping our own games and disrupting our own team.
  • It wasn't me, it was Airman!
  • Good, the FA should drag them in and ask them to explain the shambles they are presiding over.
  • Maybe I'm being paranoid but I'm a little concerned about the FA 'looking into' the game. Many Boro fans felt the whistle blowing affected the outcome of the game and were calling for us to be deducted points. We're a 'small club' and, like Luton, I wouldn't put it past the FA to make an example of us.

We need to stay up or this lot will strip us of anything of any value to get their money back and send us into oblivion. They have every player on contract that allows them to dump them or cut their wages and will sell every rising star. We need to stay up and have something left for someone else to buy. They don't have the stomach to put in 30 million every year and will
  • sell out if we keep up the pressure
  • We won't get points deducted. If Blackpool fans can get a game abandoned and get a suspended points deduction, then the FA won't be stripping points from us over the events on Sunday.
  • MrLargo said:

Odd comment from someone called Penzac underneath:

I wish these fans all the very best, but is it not amazing that people protest over an issue as minor as this and do nothing as our NHS is torn asunder by the Tories.

Clearly not been past Lewisham Hospital recently.

Penzac is clearly a leftie bell end
    Better than being a Tory bell-end :)
    a contradiction in terms surely?
    Yeah silly mistake. Get back to your academy. Should of said better than being a blue b'stard.
  • Sponsored links:

• ChiAddick said:

msomerton said:

All they will investigate is stadium security, did club do enough to stop the disruption happening. we may have to play behind closed doors or away fans only.

Surely we are a first offeneder?

Clubs up and down the country have pitch invasion etc.
    Not just the pitch invasion by two people, but the successful attempt to disrupt the game, with beach balls and fake ref whistles. With a number of fans in dispute with the owners of football clubs, the FA may feel like setting an example and banning home fans from the last home games of season. This a possibility even if an outside one, so I think CARD should be careful with the next protest. We still need to support the players on the pitch.
  • I assume to save time and money this investigation will be merged with Katrien's no-expense-spared investigation into the Companies House fiasco, as well as identifying everyone who threw a beach ball onto the pitch (if one hit you on the way do you get a reduced punishment for an assist?)
  • I do not agree that the FA will not deduct points.

If it was just the beach balls then fine, but the whistle blowing did stop Middlesbro' making an attempt on goal and one of the people who encroached on the pitch did try and approach the players. Add to this the amount of publicity that our protests are managing and the possibility that KM will try privately to influence the FA towards a points deduction, she can then blame us for relegation.
  • edited March 2016

I do not agree that the FA will not deduct points.

If it was just the beach balls then fine, but the whistle blowing did stop Middlesbro' making an attempt on goal and one of the people who encroached on the pitch did try and approach the players. Add to this the amount of publicity that our protests are managing and the possibility that KM will try privately to influence the FA towards a points deduction, she can then blame us for relegation.

You have to look at precedent though. They can't just make it up as they go along. Ultimately the game was delayed by three and a half minutes and Middlesbrough made no complaint. It would be vastly disproportionate to deduct points. Expect a warning and a suspended fine.
  • I suppose they could claim that the Carlisle pitch invasion was the first warning though...?
  • We should insist the FA investigate themselves as to why they allowed a nutter like Douchbag take over a great club like ours and ruin it.
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

Good, the FA should drag them in and ask them to explain the shambles they are presiding over.

It maybe time to take the protest to the League and FA's doors...
  • It won't help the club that they knew there would be some kind of disruption and so questions will be asked as to why nothing was done to prevent it. Not sure what they could have done in reality, but the FA are not known for common sense.
  • I suppose they could claim that the Carlisle pitch invasion was the first warning though...?

Isn't that Carlisle's problem? Were Charlton warned about their fans at a away game?
  • edited March 2016

I suppose they could claim that the Carlisle pitch invasion was the first warning though...?

Isn't that Carlisle's problem? Were Charlton warned about their fans at a away game?
    Nope... We warned the Carlisle security that a pitch invasion could happen and that the gate where we ran on to the pitch was a potential place where the fans could get on to the pitch but they ignored our advice.

The FA then warned Charlton as a Football Club and that allowing a future pitch invasion could see us get charged.

Like you say, they completely ignored the fact that it was an away game so Charlton had no control over it

http://origin-www.cafc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10267~2765802,00.html

Although the club will not be punished as a result of the incident, Charlton have been warned that further action will be taken should any similar incident occur in the future.
  • Sponsored links:

• msomerton said:

ChiAddick said:

msomerton said:

All they will investigate is stadium security, did club do enough to stop the disruption happening. we may have to play behind closed doors or away fans only.

Surely we are a first offeneder?

Clubs up and down the country have pitch invasion etc.
    Not just the pitch invasion by two people, but the successful attempt to disrupt the game, with beach balls and fake ref whistles. With a number of fans in dispute with the owners of football clubs, the FA may feel like setting an example and banning home fans from the last home games of season. This a possibility even if an outside one, so I think CARD should be careful with the next protest. We still need to support the players on the pitch.
    But that would seriously affect out beloved CEO's 20k initiative....... oh well :-)

I actually didn't approve of the whistles or the pitch invasion, but the beach balls right at the start of the match got the attention of the press as did the funeral procession. I sincerely hope the FA do not try to make an example of us and issue a points deduction, but in turn follow up this "investigation" into not only what happened, but WHY it happened.
  • The FA won't ban anyone. Suspended fine and a warning. Nobody was hurt, nothing major happened. But a suspended anything means the next home game could be fun!!

You have to look at precedent though. They can't just make it up as they go along. Ultimately the game was delayed by three and a half minutes and Middlesbrough made no complaint. It would be vastly disproportionate to deduct points. Expect a warning and a suspended fine.
    This IS the FA!! They'll probably deem the invasion as frivolous and double the sanctions

Of course - if there is a warning and suspended fine hanging over the club - the possible future issue will be how that impacts fan protests

The events of last Sunday (in my view) were (to date) the most effective by a long long way in getting the message out to the wider world

Yes being on the tv helped - however the fan actions on Sunday shine a light on the where the most effective ways of protesting are......

If there is a warning hanging over the club it will colour how future protests can be undertaken e.g. If protest is X then the result could be a bit of an own goal

Of course, this only applies all the while we have this thread of hope to avoid relegation - if relegation comes about, then 'fill yer boots' protest wise !!!!
  • Charlton fans are one of the few in the country that heed messages not to invade the pitch at the end of the season. The problem is, if they fine us, they will have to fine others. The punishment will be suspended.
  • mogodon said:

The FA won't ban anyone. Suspended fine and a warning. Nobody was hurt, nothing major happened. But a suspended anything means the next home game could be fun!!

Means nothing, they gave Suarez 8 games for a slur and Ben Thatcher got the same ban for hospitalizing and knocking out Mendes on purpose.
  • No doubt in my mind that this FA investigation is linked to why they have put out that second ridiculous statement. If the FA looked at the first statement it would wonder why the club hadn't 'ticked anybody off' - now they can sit behind the second statement and say its just a group of troublemakers. The first statement therefore is for us and themselves when they come to negotiate to sell (once next seasons division is known) and the other is for the benefit of the FA. Both statements are also a direct result of all the good work the protesters are doing and both make the belgiums look like the incompetent buffoons they are - RD is in a big hole and he must be desperate to get out and the season ticket boycott should hopefully speed that process up - their stay as custodians of OUR club is virtually untenable.
  • edited March 2016
    If Charlton did have to play a game behind closed doors... great publicity IF 2-3000 protestors went anyway and had fun and games behind the West Stand. Would cost the club in stewards and OB. Plus the media would be up for it.
  • Not desperate enough to speak to Varney though!
  • mogodon said:

The FA won't ban anyone. Suspended fine and a warning. Nobody was hurt, nothing major happened. But a suspended anything means the next home game could be fun!!

Means nothing, they gave Suarez 8 games for a slur and Ben Thatcher got the same ban for hospitalizing and knocking out Mendes on purpose.
    That's punishing players. Completely different thing to fan conduct.