Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Exclusive: Harry Lennon insists he will not jump ship even if Charlton go down

Harry Lennon has reiterated his love for Charlton – insisting that he will not leave even if the club is relegated this season.

The 21-year-old has enjoyed a breakthrough season in SE7 and was a first-team regular before a red card against Preston led to a three-match suspension.

Louis Sealey, Sports reporter / 2 hours ago / Charlton Athletic

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:

Lol he thinks he's good enough to?

Gillingham might want him.
  • Isn't he one of us (a supporter)? Think I read it some where. He's also pretty much garunteed first team football here next season.
  • Isn't he one of us (a supporter)? Think I read it some where. He's also pretty much garunteed first team football here next season.

He is a Spurs fan

If he's a supporter fair enough but not many of our players will get above league 1 standard next year!
  • When News Shopper asked the defender whether he hopes to spend a long time at the Valley, he said: “Of course, hopefully.

“I want to stay at the club and if we do go down help them get back in the Championship and then even further if I can

“I’ve still got another two years here and I’m very happy. I’ve been here since I was a seven. I love it here so there’s no reason to leave.”

Lennon signed his first professional contract in 2013 after spending almost a decade in the club’s youth system.
  • Sponsored links:

• He's shown promise in the first team, but hardly of the Gomez level that would see him highly sought after by other clubs. I'm sure he will be with us next season
  • Did very well at Gillingham so no reason to think he won't do well in League One next year
  • This announcement will disappoint legions of Madrid and Man City fans no doubt.
  • What will Morgan Fox do now? Fight Luke Shaw for his Utd place or stick around?
  • "I'm part of the reason the club is being relegated. But I see no reason why I should carry any of the blame. So I expect to continue to be paid next season too".
  • I'd far rather than Harry Lennon than Rod Fanni, even though I'm a Rod and a fanny
  • That's good of him.
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:

When News Shopper asked the defender whether he hopes to spend a long time at the Valley, he said: “Of course, hopefully.

“I want to stay at the club and if we do go down help them get back in the Championship and then even further if I can

“I’ve still got another two years here and I’m very happy. I’ve been here since I was a seven. I love it here so there’s no reason to leave.”

Lennon signed his first professional contract in 2013 after spending almost a decade in the club’s youth system.

And now he is consistently a 4
  • Think he will do fine at League One level, certainly a good squad player so hope he does stay and well done for saying it.
  • People seem to be reacting to the headline put on this by News Shopper, rather than anything the player has actually said. There's nothing at all objectionable in Lennon's comments.
  • Nick Pope and KAG next ?
  • Would it have been better had he said. "I am out of here at the first opportunity". Harry Lennon is so far from being the problem at our club, lets not take our anger out on the wrong targets.
  • He is one of those youth players I would put in the same catagory as someone like Grant Basey. He will do a job for us if we are a middling league 1 side but he would never have featured in Powells champions side for instance
  • As an aside if we go down do you think we'll be able to fend off Man Utd and Swansea's interest in Fox. Whilst we were a competitive Championship club he had every reason to stay. If we go down maybe not
  • He is one of those youth players I would put in the same catagory as someone like Grant Basey. He will do a job for us if we are a middling league 1 side but he would never have featured in Powells champions side for instance

Did alright at Gillingham this season