Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"We" Owe Staprix £38m

Comments

• Options
    Hex said:

According to this site, FFP (or SCMP as it is named) is different to the Championship. EG "In League 1 clubs can spend a maximum of 60% of their turnover on wages - in League 2, the limit is 55%. There are no restrictions (in themselves) on the amount a club can lose or spend on transfer fees."

So by having our CEO paid by Staprix rather than Charlton are we cheating FFP?
  • Options
    @Grapevine49 - Excellent summary. How long before Roly realises his project is doomed and he reaches a tipping point where he has to bail out? Relegation or midway through next season in League One when the next bunch of sub-standard players are showing no real chance of going back up?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Tutt-Tutt said:

@Grapevine49 - Excellent summary. How long before Roly realises his project is doomed and he reaches a tipping point where he has to bail out? Relegation or midway through next season in League One when the next bunch of sub-standard players are showing no real chance of going back up?

It's great stuff. I think we already know that their response to relegation will be to point at the training ground scheme, but as Grapevine shows it's no answer at all. The difficulty is getting that across to everyone, including the media.
  • Options
    This, this, this ^ Bang on the money so to speak!
  • Options
    What would happen if Roland stopped the Staprix funding but still owed the club. Would we go in to admin? Would that put us in to even more trouble? Maybe I shouldn't be giving out these ideas to RD...
  • Options
    You would have thought that, even for this weird 'visionary' the penny would have dropped by now! Oh actually just reading through this years P&L, quite a few seem to have.....

When relegation is confirmed, that's the next two year end losses (Jun 2016 & Jun 2017) pretty much guaranteed, the scale probably much larger even after the best players are offloaded, probably at knock down prices in the close season fire sale/giveaway.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excellent analysis @Dippenhall
  • Options

What would happen if Roland stopped the Staprix funding but still owed the club. Would we go in to admin? Would that put us in to even more trouble? Maybe I shouldn't be giving out these ideas to RD...

Admin would get rid of RD, not many could be worse owners, although I accept it's possible we could end up worse, I doubt it though.
  • Options

Admin would get rid of RD, not many could be worse owners, although I accept it's possible we could end up worse, I doubt it though.
    Portsmouth said that and ended up with a succession of dodgy owners.

Admin is good as it clears debts and leaves a blank slate.

It's bad as it means assets can get sold (players, stadiums, training grounds), people lose jobs and businesses get knocked.

As nearly all the debt is to Roland taking the club into Admin hurts him more than anyone else.

• Options
    Excellent post by Grapevine. Perhaps the most telling phrase is 'His "social" contribution is his pursuit of an exercise in corporate economics not sporting achievement.' This sums up Roly's philosophy and his aims for CAFC. One only has to watch, again, Nightmeire's Dublin interview to confirm this. She laughed at the idea of Roly putting money into the first team.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Firstly for RD to go down the Admin route the club has to be in a position of no longer being able to meet it's current liabilities as they fall due and being pressed by an aggressive creditor. This would most likely to be HMRC, should RD / Staprix pull the plug on covering operating losses.

Admin allows a company breathing space to find a solution and control of it, if agreed by the courts, passes to an Administrator who will explore all avenues to satisfy creditors either by realising what assets he can or by finding a buyer for the business. There would be an immediate problem with realising the property assets short term not least of all the charge over them by the former directors who are owed £7m. Depending on the amount owed player sale(s) would be the next source of funds.

The legal and Administration fees associated with such a course of action would reduce residue asset sales left for RD/Staprix further not to mention the stigma for RD such a course of action would bring in the event of a subsequent winding up. His best option therefore would be to negotiate his own way out with a new owner to minimise his losses as much as possible.

Give Peter Varney a ring now RD, you know it makes sense!
  • Options
    Great recent posts which suggest relegation and more losses are best for the future of the club as it will force him to sell. So anything other than a full match boycott ie no support for the team and no money paid over, is benefiting him.
  • Options
    The analysis on here is as always great for us non financial types.

I just wish my gut feeling was that RD is on the run. I really don't think he is.
  • Options

The analysis on here is as always great for us non financial types.

I just wish my gut feeling was that RD is on the run. I really don't think he is.

He may not be on the run but I think the location of possible hiding places may be crossing his mind.
  • Options
    Apologies if mentioned previously, but, playing devils advocate, when we boycott stuff at The Valley, {programmes, shop, drink...etc} are we not shooting ourselves in our foot ?
    All he will do is put more debt onto "Staprix", not out of his own pockets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Apologies if mentioned previously, but, playing devils advocate, when we boycott stuff at The Valley, {programmes, shop, drink...etc} are we not shooting ourselves in our foot ?
    All he will do is put more debt onto "Staprix", not out of his own pockets.

Yes, that is true this season but he will only be able to get back what someone is willing to pay, not what he owes. Next season it will be out of his pocket.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    When Bob from Data spoke to us protestors last Thursday he said that the club despising and alienating the fan base was utter foolishness because as he said it is one of the few areas you can grow.
    Everybody says hit Roland in the pocket, but I am not sure if he cares about money in relation to us
  • Options
    seth plum said:

When Bob from Data spoke to us protestors last Thursday he said that the club despising and alienating the fan base was utter foolishness because as he said it is one of the fewcareas you can grow.
    Everybody says hit Roland in the pocket, but I am not sure if he cares about money in relation to us

This whole deluded project is about money, I can tell you now that is his drive, the more we harm his earnings, the more irritable he will become.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2016
    Hex said:

According to this site, FFP (or SCMP as it is named) is different to the Championship. EG "In League 1 clubs can spend a maximum of 60% of their turnover on wages - in League 2, the limit is 55%. There are no restrictions (in themselves) on the amount a club can lose or spend on transfer fees."

Relegated clubs

The rules apply to all clubs and there is no moratorium for clubs relegated from the Championship. However, Transitional Arrangements are in place whereby clubs are allowed to exclude the wage costs of all players that the club signed pre September of the relegation season, if they were signed on contracts in excess of 3 seasons.

.... Maybe this is why there are quite a few contracts at Charlton of longer duration ? Duchatelet and Meire have made some preparation for return to league one ?
  • Options
    I make that an excellent point from Tutt Tutt. When we are relegated the more we indicate the (seemingly quite deliberate) foul ups that Roland has made the better.
    In his recent visit to London he said we are a well run club, we have to counter that in emphatic terms.
    You know it still irritates me that lazy football people repeat that we drove Curbishley away, it is now an almost accepted and believed myth. With Roland Duchatelet his failure is a reality and it must be made clear to those interested or other myths might be created.
    The real success at Charlton Athletic over the last two years have been the fans, for all their division and argument, the abject failures have been Duchatelet, Meire, Murray, Keohane, Joynes and others with less well known names.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2016
    vff said:

Hex said:

Relegated clubs

The rules apply to all clubs and there is no moratorium for clubs relegated from the Championship. However, Transitional Arrangements are in place whereby clubs are allowed to exclude the wage costs of all players that the club signed pre September of the relegation season, if they were signed on contracts in excess of 3 seasons.

.... Maybe this is why there are quite a few contracts at Charlton of longer duration ? Duchatelet and Meire have made some preparation for return to league one ?
    I know it was bit of a long shot @Henry Irving presuming that Duchatelet or Meire have any kind of coherent plan in mind for the future.

(On the plus note your LOL got my count to a nice round 700)
  • Options
    After relegation, CAFC will become a black hole draining money. He could asset strip and get money out of staprix and close it down legitimately, that would close his exposure to even more serious losses over time. What are the implications for him to close CAFC putting 2 fingers up at fans ?