Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Diego Poyet

Confirms if he signed the 2014 contract offered by CAFC, he was probably going on loan to Standard Liege.

Hmmmm.

Comments

• East Kent meeting tonight.
  • I suppose this is the thing that will come out eventually that he was going on about on Twitter...
  • I'm still not buying it.. I'm sure they offered him a contract just with us first, but when he refused they offered him the opportunity to play champions league at standard as a last hope of persuading him to stay.

Well that's what any reasonable people would have tried but knowing this bunch it's quite possible!
  • Sponsored links:

• One question did he say/imply that he would have signed a contract with us if it didn't involve that.. As I'm sure he was leaving no matter what.
  • I believe he has said that before. He said at the time he would speak out later about the reasons for his move.
  • It simply can't be true can it? Information from a East Kent Addicks meeting surely not?
  • You wumming me?
  • Well it possibly explains why he hasn't put in an ounce of effort since he returned on loan.

When here previously he was everywhere, he wanted the ball the whole time.

Now he's Mr Invisible & hides away and has literally done nothing.
  • Then why even come back?
  • I'm still not buying it.. I'm sure they offered him a contract just with us first, but when he refused they offered him the opportunity to play champions league at standard as a last hope of persuading him to stay.

Well that's what any reasonable people would have tried but knowing this bunch it's quite possible!

That's what I suppose happened, too. And I thought, and think, it could have been a perfectly reasonable proposal. On its own. The problem is what we now know about how RD has managed both clubs since he made that proposal.

• The circus continues
  • Sponsored links:

• Hey, he's got a mouth. He could have used it to say "No, I'm not going to Belgium" if he felt strongly about it.
  • The whole episode from public comments by Gus Poyet and Diego making promises about revelations on twitter when we all knew he was going to go accept a position on much more money than we were ever going to pay, him makes anything he says now look like an excuse - and not terribly reliable.

I didn't have a problem with him moving for more money and/or better opportunities. The thing is that when one does that, they need to prove to have made the correct decision. Based on loan spells with Huddersfield and MK Dons before joining us, and a total of 28 league games played in the last twenty-one months and only five of those for teams that are not likely to be in the third division next season, it does look like it was the wrong decision.

Had he stayed with us and refused to play in Belgium he might have racked up close to three times that number of games by now and might now be in a position to earn a transfer to a Premier League club and get into their side - something that he looks miles away from achieving right now.

The question one needs to ask is 'Is it better to earn £15k a week from 19 to 23 or is it better to earn £80k a week from 23 to 33?'

That's a question that other players in out youth set up need to be considering too. Ironically Poyet had proved to be a role model both for getting into our side, and leaving the club prematurely. Sadly I fear that most 19 year-olds would always take the £15k a week for four years. I probably would have done too, even if I'd have struggled to find a club willing to pay me £15 a week, never mind £15,000!
  • iamdan said:

Confirms if he signed the 2014 contract offered by CAFC, he was probably going on loan to Standard Liege.

Hmmmm.

Just an observation - he could have said no to going to standard
  • iamdan said:

Hmmmm.

This. And I'm pretty sure it's against eu laws to write in a contract that they can move you abroad at any time... Although I could be wrong on that!
  • iamdan said:

Hmmmm.

This. And I'm pretty sure it's against eu laws to write in a contract that they can move you abroad at any time... Although I could be wrong on that!
    Even if it's not an EU law I doubt that he could be forced to move from Charlton, if that's where his contract is, to another club even if both clubs are owned by the same chap.
  • cafcfan said:

Hey, he's got a mouth. He could have used it to say "No, I'm not going to Belgium" if he felt strongly about it.

Well he did, as he didn't sign a contract.
  • The whole episode from public comments by Gus Poyet and Diego making promises about revelations on twitter when we all knew he was going to go accept a position on much more money than we were ever going to pay, him makes anything he says now look like an excuse - and not terribly reliable.

I didn't have a problem with him moving for more money and/or better opportunities. The thing is that when one does that, they need to prove to have made the correct decision. Based on loan spells with Huddersfield and MK Dons before joining us, and a total of 28 league games played in the last twenty-one months and only five of those for teams that are not likely to be in the third division next season, it does look like it was the wrong decision.

Had he stayed with us and refused to play in Belgium he might have racked up close to three times that number of games by now and might now be in a position to earn a transfer to a Premier League club and get into their side - something that he looks miles away from achieving right now.

The question one needs to ask is 'Is it better to earn £15k a week from 19 to 23 or is it better to earn £80k a week from 23 to 33?'

That's a question that other players in out youth set up need to be considering too. Ironically Poyet had proved to be a role model both for getting into our side, and leaving the club prematurely. Sadly I fear that most 19 year-olds would always take the £15k a week for four years. I probably would have done too, even if I'd have struggled to find a club willing to pay me £15 a week, never mind £15,000!

Or he could have stayed with us, earned less, been found out in his second season as an average player who just had a purple patch, never made it to the PL and earned the money he gets now...
  • I had heard something similar, so it sounds like it might have been true.

Have also heard that he is not a fan of RD at all apparently.
  • cafctom said:

I had heard something similar, so it sounds like it might have been true.

Have also heard that he is not a fan of RD at all apparently.

Apart from KM, is anybody?