Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How far will we fall ?

2»

Comments

• Not quite double relegation. Maybe first season a battle but this time we'll come through it. About 18th or 19th I reckon.
  • Uboat said:

E-cafc said:

Am really concerned that if the board don't get it exactly right next season we will fall straight through the League 1 trapdoor.

I can say with almost total certainty that this board will not get it exactly right.
    There's nothing stopping them from what needs to be done now that they would need to do to avoid dropping straight into League 2.

Are we going to appoint a manager with the necessary experience? No.

Are the handful of players who are good enough for League One going to be transferred to rivals as per the stated policy of our owners? Yes.

Will we continue to almost exclusively source external talent from unfit, lazy mercenaries who have no place in English professional football? Yes.

Will we continue to push young players into full-time first team football way too early, causing them to become jaded and unfit? Yes.

Will we actually scout other teams and adjust our tactics accordingly? No.

Will we ever learn from any mistakes? No.

At least not until this insane experiment is halted.
  • edited March 2016
    Anyone would think we've never been relegated or had shitty owners before.
    The lad was just seven when he started coming with me, and his first season saw us relegated.
    He didn't cry or snivel about not going anymore - he would've got a clip round the ear if he did - and he still goes now, his own football allowing.
    He understands what following Charlton entails.
    We have a debriefing on the way to the Oak, a a game of darts and forget all about it.
    It's great.
  • Uboat said:

E-cafc said:

Am really concerned that if the board don't get it exactly right next season we will fall straight through the League 1 trapdoor.

I can say with almost total certainty that this board will not get it exactly right.
    They cannot even post season tickets out, or sell programmes properly, so what chance of they got getting more complex matters right.
  • My answer to the original question would be L2. By then Roland will decide that we are all too stupid to successfully carry out his Master Plan, and sell up. As long as Roland owns our club we are heading south.

Shame it's not Dale Stephen's South.
  • We've been in League One before and we were still able to attract the kids to the club...?

Shelvey and Jenkinson went from L1 to the Premier League when were last down there, Dele Alli was a L1 player when Spurs bought him, so that's not an issue.

Next season mid table league one. That is I think what we have to look forward to for the foreseeable future. I don't see another relegation. I don't see any hope either.

That sounds right to me. MKD and Bristol City, two of the teams struggling with us at the foot of the table, both got automatic promotion last year yet have struggled this season. That shows how poor L1 is!
  • be wrapped up as a club by 2020...
  • Redskin said:

The lad was just seven when he started coming with me, and his first season saw us relegated.
    He didn't cry or snivel about not going anymore - he would've got a clip round the ear if he did - and he still goes now, his own football allowing.
    We have a debriefing on the way to the Oak, a a game of darts and forget all about it.
    It's great.

Would give this forty likes if I could
  • Vetokele won't be here next season. Players definitely going Gudmundsson, Lookman, Ba, Baeur, Motta, Suk_ Young, Fanni, Makienok, Ansah, Pigott, Sanogo, Sho Silva, Reza, Poyet, Dmitrovic, Tucudean, Watt, Obileye.
  • I seriously think with this lot in charge we will go like
    Luton, Tranmere, Grimsby and Bristol Rovers and
    settle down in the Conference. Roly will sell the ground
    and we are finished.
    Quote for the Belgians: 'Avoid hope all you who enter'!
  • Sponsored links:

• Pretty depressing to think of the mass player exodus this summer and what standard of player we can expect to replace them.

I feel sorry the the kids that will be thrust into the first team to play in positions that Roly won't dip into his ample pocket to cover.

Let's hope this Sunday,whatever is being planned it's a good 'un

Give 'em hell

:smiley:
  • Leuth said:

Redskin said:

It's great.

Would give this forty likes if I could
    I've seen Charlton relegated a good few times in my 56 years of attending. I don't have a huge problem with it other than the obvious disappointment. On each and every one of those previous relegations I have always thought that we would fight back.

This one feels different because this time I feel like that it is the team, the supporters and whole club that has been relegated with no prospect of bouncing back. The club in RD's hands is in a tailspin of lunacy and ineptitude. We won't be bouncing back anytime soon. That's what's different and so depressing this time.

• The way the club is being run is obviously pretty stupid and self-defeating, but stupidity does not get away with it for so long in football, surely? Surely?
  • In the Summer, we will lose most of the existing squad, and get obscure players from unknown teams on long contracts.
    We will start L1 fairly well, but by October the writing will be on the wall, as we change manager again and go on another long win-less run. We may escape the drop, but the board will make the same mistakes again the following year, and we will go down to L2.

Our average gate will drop to around 5000 so the board will state that we don't need to be playing in a 27000 capacity stadium, and we will begin to ground-share (Dartford or WHU etc) with no revival in sight.

Eventually the derelict Valley will be "unsafe" for spectators and RD will lodge a scheme with Greenwich to use the site for a housing development. Greenwich will have little choice to accept the plan because of the pressures on them to provide home - especially using land that is now redundant. Once this is scheduled, RD will take repayment of his loans and leave us to die.

The Belgians have got to go or there will be no CAFC (as we know it now) in 6/8 years time.
  • Leuth said:

The way the club is being run is obviously pretty stupid and self-defeating, but stupidity does not get away with it for so long in football, surely? Surely?

Ordinarily you would be correct. But I feel our situation now is completely different from the last time we dropped into League 1. The first time round our owners were having to make the best of a bad situation, our infrastructure was falling apart and we were dealing with the repercussions of the loss of the PL income. Now we have owners who are going against every bit of football common sense, who think that a stadium is like a cinema or a restaurant, and who have no intention of changing tack no matter how far we drop. At least once we reached our natural level in League One we had owners who wanted to recover and get back to winning ways. How can we avoid complacency when our owners had stated that they don't care if the club wins any games? I don't think our owners are as vindictive as some other clubs, but ours differ by being single-mindedly focussed on a failing strategy that does not produce football that is good enough for English professional football.

The timing could not be worse to be honest. Our local rivals are getting their act together and actively poaching our fans. Clubs we previously considered minnows are now eclipsing us. Bad management is like the flu - if the body is strong enough you can fight it off. If your body is weak or it's a bad time then it could be fatal.
  • Redskin said:

It's great.

Been a fan since the late 60's and have also seen my fair share of highs and lows but this lot have taken it to another level. You cannot compare previous bad seasons and dodgy owners with this current shambles
  • Would take mid-table next season, like our 13th(?) under Parky/SCP
  • You know that scene in 300 where that messenger from Xerxes is standing with his back to that bottomless pit and you just know Gerald Butler is about to kick him in it? That's us that is...
  • Leuth said:

The way the club is being run is obviously pretty stupid and self-defeating, but stupidity does not get away with it for so long in football, surely? Surely?

I think football generally reflects life, so they may get away with it for longer than you'd hope :-(
  • You know that scene in 300 where that messenger from Xerxes is standing with his back to that bottomless pit and you just know Gerald Butler is about to kick him in it? That's us that is...

THIS. IS. SOFA!!!!

• Sponsored links:

• League 2 before RD bails out - what will be left who knows?
  • edited March 2016

Redskin said:

It's great.

Been a fan since the late 60's and have also seen my fair share of highs and lows but this lot have taken it to another level. You cannot compare previous bad seasons and dodgy owners with this current shambles
    I'd say the Selhurst years were worst, not that I went.