Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Davis Cup - 2016

Comments

• Options
    vffvff
    edited September 2016
    Potro played really well against Murray. Murray just looked knackered and threw away the 4th set. I think Murray has reached his limit, he has done well to win Wimbledon & Olympics but with Davis Cup, maybe would have been better to drop Queens, Michigan or a couple of the smaller tournaments. Del Portro played some great tennis to win.

Edmonds currently 1-1 in sets and games. Pretty even game. Edmonds has to win. Can't see Murray playing the doubles.
  • Options
    With a day's rest, you'd hope Murray can beat Pella, whereas you'd imagine Del Potro would beat either Edmund or Evans, so we need Edmund to win this match and then to win the doubles
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited September 2016
    2-1 sets Edmund fell apart midway through the third set. Looking tough for Edmund, it will be interesting to see how strong Edmund's mentality is. Good hold at 1-2. The Argentinian player was steam rolling him. Still a break down in the 4th set. Edmund needs to get into the Argentian service game - another shank from Edmonds. 1-3. Argentinians in charge in this match.
  • Options
    I assumed the umpire was a man until I saw him, as he has an incredibly high pitched voice!
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited September 2016

I assumed the umpire was a man until I saw him, as he has an incredibly high pitched voice!

Missus didn't believe it until she saw him calling the score. 2-4. Edmonds not making a impact on the Argentinian serve. Trying his best and hanging in, but it is a struggle. 50 unforced errors in the match for Edmond so far. Some terrible line calls in this match.
  • Options
    vff said:

Missus didn't believe it until she saw him calling the score. 2-4. Edmonds not making a impact on the Argentinian serve. Trying his best and hanging in, but it is a struggle. 50 unforced errors in the match for Edmond so far. Some terrible line calls in this match.
    Not looking good, he's been very erratic
  • Options
    Another breakpoint for a double break. 2-5. Looking All over. 3 match points. All over. The Argentinan upped his game and Edmond could do nothing about it.

2-0 Argentina.

Can't see Murray being able to play doubles and another singles. He is looking all in already. It was a gamble to play Murray vs Del Potro first and it is not looking to be a good decision. Long way back for GB.
  • Options
    vff said:

Another breakpoint for a double break. 2-5. Looking All over. 3 match points. All over. The Argentinan upped his game and Edmond could do nothing about it.

2-0 Argentina.

Can't see Murray being able to play doubles and another singles. He is looking all in already. It was a gamble to play Murray vs Del Potro first and it is not looking to be a good decision. Long way back for GB.

I don't think the timing of when Murray played Del Potro ultimately mattered, if he had played him on Sunday after playing on Friday and Saturday, he would have been in an even worse state!
  • Options

vff said:

2-0 Argentina.

I don't think the timing of when Murray played Del Potro ultimately mattered, if he had played him on Sunday after playing on Friday and Saturday, he would have been in an even worse state!
    He may have had a straight forward straight sets win today though, making it at least 1-1. Then tomorrow isn't absolutely must win and you can gamble on resting him for the doubles. Best case scenario if they'd played it that way around, Edmund gets a shock win vs Del Po, we win the doubles with just Jamie and Andy only has to play one match.

Much harder to resist playing him tomorrow now, meaning he'll be absolutely knackered on Sunday.
  • Options

vff said:

2-0 Argentina.

He may have had a straight forward straight sets win today though, making it at least 1-1. Then tomorrow isn't absolutely must win and you can gamble on resting him for the doubles. Best case scenario if they'd played it that way around, Edmund gets a shock win vs Del Po, we win the doubles with just Jamie and Andy only has to play one match.

Much harder to resist playing him tomorrow now, meaning he'll be absolutely knackered on Sunday.
    If the fixtures had been the other way round it probably would be 1-1 now. Edmund beating Del Potro is always going to be unlikely.

Thus we'd need to win the doubles or hope that we could win both the singles matches on Sunday, which would be the matches played today

As it is, we could still rest Andy for tomorrow, we need to win all 3 remaining matches anyway, so ultimately it now comes down to whether Kyle/Dan can beat Del P...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely, the tie is dead. The difference in standard between the first and second game was huge. Del Potro will win his second match in straight sets.
  • Options

Surely, the tie is dead. The difference in standard between the first and second game was huge. Del Potro will win his second match in straight sets.

More than likely but didn't our fella have a match point against Wawrinka in the US Open third round , so with a bit of luck etc who knows
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited September 2016

vff said:

2-0 Argentina.

You're probably right about that, if Murray is done in then it wouldn't have mattered when he played Potro. It was a roll of the dice. Murray beats Potro and the tie swings in GBs favour. As it was, the Del Potro victory gave a great boost to Penna who played really well whilst Edmond was flat and variable.

Still think, they should have stuck to the normal format. Dan Evans may have stretched Del Potro and Murray beating Penna may have taken some of Penna's energy, for a fresher Edmonds. Still think playing the doubles was a step too far for Murray and they needed to try and win the doubles without him. Potro has not played that much tennis and Murray may just have had enough energy to beat Potro.

It does show the level of Murray's knackeredness that Leon Smith decided to change it about. The Davis GB team is very dependent on Murray doing everything. Murray looked totally done in, in the 3rd & 4th sets against Del Potro. Needs a holiday.

Winning the Olympics used up all Murray's energy and playing in the majors alongside the the Davis Cup and Olympics was a step too far. Murray has had a great season though. An Argentinian victory at least gives Murray a rest for the O2 in Greenwich to try and finish the season on a high, as I don't think he has got that far in the 02. GB may go on to surprise but I don't see the momentum in the tie changing.
  • Options
    I thought I heard that the reason he played Del Potro first was down to world rankings and Pella is currently the highest ranked Argentinian. I would rest Murray today and play Evans in the singles and doubles . Think he would have been a better bet than Edmund yesterday as more of a fighter.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

I thought I heard that the reason he played Del Potro first was down to world rankings and Pella is currently the highest ranked Argentinian. I would rest Murray today and play Evans in the singles and doubles . Think he would have been a better bet than Edmund yesterday as more of a fighter.

Not sure about that.

Don't forget Kyle Edmund won both his singles matches against Serbia whereas Daniel Evans didn't bother to travel citing 'injury' yet was fit enough to turn out in an ATP match in Washington on the Monday!

Given that it's a team game for me Edmund gets the gig above Evans every time. They are a similar level.

This one is all over now though whoever plays in my view.

• Options
    The weirdest thing I find about watching the Davis Cup tie is the football style chanting which abruptly stops when they play a point. At football, that would be like the crowd singing away while the ball is out of play and stopping as the throw in is taken.

Perhaps, it's just me that finds it strange.
  • Options
    Del boy may not play today ?
    Is that just mind games by the South Americans.
    Play Dan Evans in the deciding Rubber if Murray wins against Pella.
    Dan is a maverick of a player, and as oohaah mentioned above had match point against Stan the Man at the US open.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited September 2016
    Not sure why Del Potro played yesterday. Surely, it would have best for him to be as fresh as possible for his next match ? I can't see Kyle Edmunds troubling Del Potro. If Del Potro does not play it may be to management of his injury, it would be a surprise though.

Dan Evans has a bit of a wild streak in him, probably one of the reasons he was able to team up with Krygios in the Doubles at the US Open but Evans did do well against Wawrinka. I know Dan Evans didn't turn up at Serbia and I understand why Leon Smith may not pick Dan Evans due to that but playing a fresher player against Del Potro maybe the only slim chance that the GB team have of winning the tie.

That assumes that a tired looking Murray can beat Pella.

If Evans or by some minor miracle / or injury withdrawal Kyle Edmonds beats Del Potro then Murray may be able to fire himself up enough to get through against Pella. There's a lot of ifs there. Argentina still in the driving seat in this tie.
  • Options
    But Murray plays first.
  • Options

But Murray plays first.

Don't understand that one. Surely, the more time he has to rest the better ? Also make Del Potro play first so he has less recovery time surely ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016
    vff said:

But Murray plays first.

Don't understand that one. Surely, the more time he has to rest the better ? Also make Del Potro play first so he has less recovery time surely ?
    Because of Del Potro's injury record he is the Number 2, and as Murray is Britain's number 1 they played 1st .
    On the last day the Numbers 1's play 1st unless the coach drop/rest them because of Fatigue.
    So with out checking i assume Murray V Pella will be first match
    Followed by Del Potro or Del Bonis V Edmunds or Evans depending if the score is 2-2.
  • Options
    Super Andy two sets up and rumours that Del Potto not fit. Hope we select Evans for the final rubber.
  • Options
    Murray goes off court with a suspected pulled muscle.
  • Options
    Palace winning too making it a second successive bad afternoon.
  • Options
    Is back out there playing... Shows his lack of interest in Britain ;)
  • Options
    Murray breaks. :-)
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Del Potro not playing fifth game, apparently. Leonardo Mayer has been warming up. Was ranked as high as 21 last summer but is currently outside the top 100.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Del Potro not playing fifth game, apparently. Leonardo Mayer has been warming up. Was ranked as high as 21 last summer but is currently outside the top 100.

Wow this really could be a comeback from us... Just depends which Dan Evans decides to appear.

Where will the Final be IF we did make it?
  • Options
    Murray wins! 6-3 6-2 6-3

2-2 and we go to the final match.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I dont like tennis, but, give Murray some credit - how do you beat someone on just one leg? - respect !