Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Membership of Junior Reds/Addicks

Apologies if anyone had brought this up before but shouldn't any child under 11 who has a season ticket in their name, have free membership to the junior addicks??? Also when are we gonna see the traditional one mascot leading the team out and having a kick around with the captain instead of an ageing bald fella who can barely run rounding up about 9 of them??

Comments

• Yep totally agree with you on all aspects, been saying it for ages! £250 to kick a ball on the pitch before the game with an old bloke they don't even know, Joke. I remember doing it, going in the changing rooms, taking shots at the keeper and being led out by the captain and then kicking the ball to him before we went to the centre circle. Today's mascots are being ripped off. It's their special day and once in a lifetime for most, they don't wanna b sharing it with someone else. My nephew is desperate to do it but I'm not willing to pay out unless it changes.

As for the membership that's another joke by the club, should come free with the season tickets. I brought my daughter a season ticket the day she was born and still had to pay membership. We don't as adults!!!

• You used to get junior reds memberships with season tickets.
  • Those were the days when it was all simple. Even the name 'Junior Reds' and as junior reds we all knew each other and had our own coach to away games. Loved it!
  • Every away game for a tenner. And a game of football before hand.

And you got the chance to be mascot for no cost at all

Also I think I can name at least two people on that photo
  • Gotta b honest they were the good old days, they get talked about every time we have a drink and catch up about the good old times! Something needs to be done. The next generation are getting forgotten. How hard is it to get 50 complimentary tickets for each away game and then parents and children just split cost of the coach? The players get comps they could donate their free ones. Little touches like this is what made us special as a family club. Nowadays they promote having a kick about in a car park b4 the game, what happened to a match against our opponents juniors, a swim at the waterfront and a burger!!!

Please don't get me started on the mascot package, one junior red picked at random each wk and given a free kit and his day and memories made for life.

Come on Charlton get your act together otherwise the next generation will be elsewhere

• cabbie8 said:

Gotta b honest they were the good old days, they get talked about every time we have a drink and catch up about the good old times! Something needs to be done. The next generation are getting forgotten. How hard is it to get 50 complimentary tickets for each away game and then parents and children just split cost of the coach? The players get comps they could donate their free ones. Little touches like this is what made us special as a family club. Nowadays they promote having a kick about in a car park b4 the game, what happened to a match against our opponents juniors, a swim at the waterfront and a burger!!!

Please don't get me started on the mascot package, one junior red picked at random each wk and given a free kit and his day and memories made for life.

Come on Charlton get your act together otherwise the next generation will be elsewhere

All that down the waterfront for £1.50

Also for the free mascot experience you could even make it clear that you either provide your own kit or you only get a loan of the club kit for the day that way the club wouldn't have to buy any more than say 9 kits a season (3xS 3xM 3xL).

I would be shocked if every parent that could afford to, wouldnt end up buying the kid at least the shirt for their day as mascot.
  • The whole thing used to be so well run but now it is a shit shambles. It is simply a reflection of how the main club is organised. Nobody really cares because the person at the top is a complete tool.
  • Sponsored links:

• Does anyone remember the relay races around the pitch at half time? Sure I used to do this as a kid at the valley, although it seems a bit of a weird concept so perhaps I dreamt it!
  • The whole thing used to be so well run but now it is a shit shambles. It is simply a reflection of how the main club is organised. Nobody really cares because the person at the top is a complete tool.

Classic last line, so easy for employees to lose interest when they have no respect for the boss.

• Everything about the club back then was about us kids and that's why we were the family club everyone looked up to. Every away game we were looked after by the away juniors too. Great times that I can't see ever coming back. Tbh it changed as soon as we got to the premier league. The club has since tried to make revenue from it and in turn lost its appeal. Bring back the name "junior reds" I say.
  • edited March 2016
    £175 I paid for my eldest son to be mascot 2011/12 season, £300 a pop I was quoted for Brighton home match when I registered interest at the beginning of the season
  • Oh and an imaginary goal. Lol he uses two jumpers for goal posts. I think he even where's shin pads. I'm sure he is doing his best but come on let the kids kick around with their idols.
  • That was a pretty decent left footed strike, sign him up!
  • Sponsored links:

• It's also very dangerous for us geriatrics, this is me filming my son last season

http://youtu.be/FH3Wbji83JA

Harry Hill here you come!
  • edited March 2016

Totally agree with these sentiments.

Both of our kids were Junior Reds & our daughter was mascot v Boro' at Selhurst. She'd only just become a member when we received a call one Sunday evening from the lovely late Jackie Monahan asking if she would like to be a mascot the following Saturday as the boy due to have this honour ( free!) had just broken his leg....

Laura was a bit unsure but geed along by her parents, agreed to do so. She was asked at that point who she'd like to walk out & warm up with and she immediately said " Carl Leaburn".

It was a great experience for her and the photo with the officials, Carlo and the Boro' captain, Tony Mowbray now hangs in her family's Games Room.

The Junior Reds' coach was used regularly by us both and many enjoyable days out were spent with fellow parents and their kids. We made the trip to Ayresome Park when Lennie became manager there and were treated to a lovely spread and a visit from the man himself. Great memories that the young 'uns of today will miss out on.

Maybe Mel & her fellow new recruits , Fizz and Joe who I met last week regarding POTY plans and who are MOST impressive guys, will see fit to revamp the Young Addicks' package to make it more desirable ?

Remember the Middlesbrough thing with Lennie very well Fanny. Used to have some good days out on the Junior Reds coach.
  • Sounds like a few of us have the same feelings. How about the new guys arrange a meeting with some older ones who used to travel to find out how and what was done. It may only seem like a small step but it provides the future for the club. My dad and I prided ourselves on the fact I was one of the only kids in the class to support Charlton and not own a man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal shirt and I attended home and away games every week.
  • As for the kids Xmas party well that's another story!
  • I scored against Dean Kiely for the Junior Reds, yes it was a penalty and no he didn't dive the right way and he purposefully went early.
  • I understand that the last FF meeting of this season will take place on April 28th so perhaps it's worth putting on the agenda for that evening....
  • £300 to kick a ball around with 8 other kids and a geriatric ball boy.

Don't for get the geriatric players they get to kick a ball about with.
  • Why we r on the subject who is the short bloke who stands in the north west corner by the tunnel? I'm guessing something to do with the ball boys?? Does he not buy a ticket? Or sit in a seat? It's amazing how many things begin to wind u up over the years