Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Are we killing charlton

Comments

• edited February 2016
    You have to play them at their game, the only thing they are interested in is money and they're certainly not getting any more of mine, like Pickwick I have 2 teenage lads begging not to go to Charlton, it's gone from being a fun thing that we'd do as a family (win , lose or draw) to a sterile, dysfunctional experience, and you say to yourself , why on earth am I putting up with this Rubbish, if we truly are like restaurant customers, then we'd have stopped going back there years ago because the food and service was crap.

I can't think of any restaurants I go to over 20 times a year by the way, but I'm sure we could all think of better things to spend our money on.
  • I thought it wasn't supposed to be about results. Even if we were doing well they would still treat the fans with contempt, all you old gits would be treated like Lepers and more shit like sofas and cheerleaders would be brought in.
  • Frankly I'd rather let it die than be held to ransom.
  • As others have said. What we have now is not Charlton. It's like we've already died as far as I'm concerned.
  • The financial impact of fan action will have to go some to match the huge financial losses resulting from all the duff signings.
  • LuckyReds said:

Not to mention the amount of his "investments" and the legacy that they will have on our clubs finances. People mention Richard Murray sticking about, but at the very least we all need to remember that his debts are - at this rate and under these owners - never likely to be paid. Can you see Roland being quite so generous with the debt we owe him, at the interest rate he has agreed with himself? I dont.

In SE7 itself, there is no real knowledge regarding how to run a football club, nor a business of any complexity. This current period is of potential importance for the long term future of the club, and as such, fans need to do everything they can to disrupt the regime and force them out.

This is really important, and something that is difficult to gauge without being able to see the financials, but do we know if the money he's put in has been in the form of loans? Or if it has gone down as cost of operations (i.e. running at a loss)? I'm talking about concrete knowledge (which again I assume is hard to come by and may not be shareable) as opposed to speculation.

LuckyReds, I agree with you that if these are loans, we are not in a good spot.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

You have to play them at their game, the only thing they are interested in is money and they're certainly not getting any more of mine, like Pickwick I have 2 teenage lads begging not to go to Charlton, it's gone from being a fun thing that we'd do as a family (win , lose or draw) to a sterile, dysfunctional experience, and you say to yourself , why on earth am I putting up with this Rubbish, if we truly are like restaurant customers, then we'd have stopped going back there years ago because the food and service was crap.

I can't think of any restaurants I go to over 20 times a year by the way, but I'm sure we could all think of better things to spend our money on.

I may be missing something, but what have we seen to indicate that "this is all about money?" RD certainly hasn't made any on this deal, and I can only imagine he's losing money at present. I think it was said on Charlton Live this week that if he were in it for the money, he'd invest heavily, get us to or near the Prem, then sell.

Also, if this were about money, I think he'd be flogging any salable assets. I'm sure we could have gotten six, probably seven figures for JBG in January. Same could be said of Cousins, at least in the summer. Our last player sale was Gomez, who couldn't really turn down a move to Liverpool (such is the way of the game at the moment).

I won't argue that RD has tried to do things on the cheap and to limit spending, particularly with staffing, but I don't think that's necessarily the same as doing it all for the money.

I would instead propose that this is far more about ego and power. Power is the ends, not the means.
    I think all along he intends to get us to or near the Premier League then sell without investing heavily ? He's got a big ego, without a doubt. In the past two years he's been taking the piss out of us. But at the end of the day, he's a businessman and his way of running Charlton is evidence that he treats this club like nothing more than a commercial company/enterprise - whose ultimate goal is to make maximum profits with minimum costs. Why didn't he sell JBG or Cousins? Maybe he thought that selling them would reduce our chances of getting into the Premier League where the big money is? To be honest, I've never had much doubt about what his ultimate goal is: to make money out of Charlton! It's just that he seems to be an extremely stubborn man and he wants to show us that his way is the right way. (I've never called anyone an idiot but I feel like doing so right now :( )

As for the original topic, what AlgarveAddick and others have recently done is incredible. Like I said in another post last week, no-one is happy to see that things have to come to this. It's a very very sad situation. But what else can we do? I've 'liked' most of the comments on this thread. People are definitely starting to realise that at this point it is one of the most effective and peaceful ways for us to save our beloved club from literally dying.
  • As the Spanners would say, they started it.
  • pickwick said:

My 14 year old son has told me he no longer wants to go, he is not enjoying it, a club with out any ambition is not something I can support either. The owner and his management are terrible. This is not our doing is it.

We are thinking of some non-league, some golf, local away games next season.

My 13 year old feels the same way. He went to watch Dover a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. The club trains at our ground and the manager gave him tickets. Really nice bunch of happy lads. We already have black and white scarves so may give that a go.
  • I understand why people will not buy season tickets next year or come to games, but doing so will bring an end to Charlton Athletic football club. Once gone most people will not return, sons and daughters in the meantime will become Arsenal, west Ham ,Palace , etc supporters and so the club die.
  • I fear the club will die. Just watched Bill Turnbull leaving BBC News, he was at Wycombe Wanderers and spoke to the fans, saying "it's our club, we have history, we have great fans and we make the club, it's a great family club" in fact everything Charlton used to be. It was hard not to cry.
  • I fear the club will die. Just watched Bill Turnbull leaving BBC News, he was at Wycombe Wanderers and spoke to the fans, saying "it's our club, we have history, we have great fans and we make the club, it's a great family club" in fact everything Charlton used to be. It was hard not to cry.

Bill Turnbull leaving the BBC far out weighs Charlton going out of business
  • edited February 2016

I fear the club will die. Just watched Bill Turnbull leaving BBC News, he was at Wycombe Wanderers and spoke to the fans, saying "it's our club, we have history, we have great fans and we make the club, it's a great family club" in fact everything Charlton used to be. It was hard not to cry.

Bill Turnbull leaving the BBC far out weighs Charlton going out of business
    I did mean I could cry for Charlton, not Bill Turnbull, in case I did not make that clear. He still has his wonderful club!
  • SamB09 said:

Daggs said:

If they would rather be at West Ham, they ain't Charlton fans.

What is the benefit of being a charlton fan then?
    There are few benefits in real football terms. We've never been that good. We've never won much in our lifetimes. We don't have the best players in the world. We aren't likely to get into the CL or any Euro competition soon. We rarely have a decent cup run. But that's fine, I don't support Charlton for those reasons. We are the perpetual underdogs that have over-achieved at various points throughout our history due to honest hard graft. I've always enjoyed seeing 11 men giving everything for a cause and walking off at the end of the match with heads held high, regardless of the result.

As you can see, what we currently have is nothing like the Charlton that I know and love. The poor management of the club is the reason why. Hence why I will not return to matches at The Valley until these morons have gone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thing is for me I sit and watch the dross on the pitch knowing that it is directly and indirectly a result of RD and Meire's actions I no longer have any incentive to attend because it no longer represents the club I know or indeed value for money. I won't be renewing this year but will wait and see what the outcome of the disaster will be. Best to hope for is that RD gives up and pisses off back to Belgium after selling to a viable investor, worst will be the continued decline and a slide down the leagues.
  • msomerton said:

I understand why people will not buy season tickets next year or come to games, but doing so will bring an end to Charlton Athletic football club. Once gone most people will not return, sons and daughters in the meantime will become Arsenal, west Ham ,Palace , etc supporters and so the club die.

I don't think that will be the case. A great many boycotted Selhurst but returned when we did to The Valley. Yes, some will not return and yes we will lose youngsters yet to start attending but most will return once RD is gone. I'd agree that the longer RD hangs around the worse it will become but on the other hand the longer we hang around he will think it's working and we are happy and God knows where we will end up. No pain, no gain so the Club will suffer until he's gone but in my opinion if we stay away he will go quicker than if we keep going along week in, week out.

• You could be right Large, personally I did got to Selhurst and watched one of the better Charlton teams I have seen in 55 years attending matches, the danger is that given RD doesn't appear to be a man who backs down, this could all become a self fulfilling prophecy i.e. we stop going, the club deteriorates, RD downgrades it and before you know it there's nothing to save. That I agree is a bit doom and gloom but it could happen, however I am not paying for a season ticket to watch the dross we have had to endure this year.
  • msomerton said:

I understand why people will not buy season tickets next year or come to games, but doing so will bring an end to Charlton Athletic football club. Once gone most people will not return, sons and daughters in the meantime will become Arsenal, west Ham ,Palace , etc supporters and so the club die.

I don't think that will be the case. A great many boycotted Selhurst but returned when we did to The Valley. Yes, some will not return and yes we will lose youngsters yet to start attending but most will return once RD is gone. I'd agree that the longer RD hangs around the worse it will become but on the other hand the longer we hang around he will think it's working and we are happy and God knows where we will end up. No pain, no gain so the Club will suffer until he's gone but in my opinion if we stay away he will go quicker than if we keep going along week in, week out.

I'm not so sure Large. In the Selhurst and return days there was much less money and TV coverage of the top division, much more print coverage of Div2 downwards and the super-rich elite were yet to break away (Chelsea was still a bit of a joke club with a cinder track in my eyes). Now there is so much exposure of the top 6 or so that I think it might be easier for young minds to be swayed
  • Let's just get RD out and build from there.
    The sooner he goes the better but he has to go.
    And we can't rebuild anything until he's gone.
    One thing at a time.
    We won't let RD kill Charlton.
  • Let's just get RD out and build from there.
    The sooner he goes the better but he has to go.
    And we can't rebuild anything until he's gone.
    One thing at a time.
    We won't let RD kill Charlton.

That's the worst limerick I have ever read... :wink:
  • I think it is perfecly clear there are 2 options here. 1) Continue attending and paying Rat and Pinocchio. However much you protest, they could not care less, they have your cash, now watch the game, have a protest in the Car Park if you like, see you at the next home match. Outcome, Rat and Pinocchio stay, Charlton definitely dies.

2) Do not attend, make sure you do not give a single penny to Rat and Pinocchio. If the majority do so Rat and Pinocchio WILL BE FORCED OUT. Outcome, the club will more than likely go into administration, since it will be in no position the repay the Rat's debts. As a result it will probably mean a season in League 2, but at least Charlton will have a fighting chance to survive and rebuild. True it is possible it MAY kill the club, but if they are not removed, the Rat and Pinocchio WILL kill the club.
  • I hate the feeling that my action are contributing to something that harms Charlton. I asked for my data to be removed from their database. That made me feel like a traitor. Asking the coconut drink company to not invest just seemed like the greatest treachery. I did both hoping that we can eventually get back to having Charlton Athletic back. We must keep the pressure on RD.