Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Changes for Tuesday

Right, so matches finish at 9am here so I've got the rest of the day to stew over it. So my current coping mechanism is trying to look ahead. This is a good time to have another match in three days, and if we can get one or two (namely Cousins and Igor) back from injury, then hopefully we can start to use our squad.

So, changes for Tuesday:

1) Time to take a chance on Igor: if he's anywhere near fit, he should be at least in the team, if not in the starting lineup. Riga is in a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation where if he plays him and Igor has a flare up and we lose him for the rest of the year, he gets flack. If he holds him back, well, the team struggles to score. Now is the time to gamble for me.

2) Use the signings. We've signed experienced players who are full internationals in the hope that they can inject quality into the team at some point. Young and Motta have Championship experience. Now is the time.

3) Drop Poyet: from the sounds of things he hasn't been particularly good, and if JJ is getting in the side in a holding midfield role ahead of him then chances are he hasn't been brilliant in training either. I don't think he's particularly well suited to a midfield 2 in 4-4-2, all these mean he deserves to start from the bench.

4) Rest JBG. I think that he set piece delivery alone is usually worthy of a place in the side, but he is probably pushing 40 matches this season between club and country. Start him on the bench, when he came on against Forest (I think it was) it sounds like he helped change the game.

5) Take Lennon out of the firing line. He's had good moments and bad, but he is one where this is his first year of first team football, he's played from the start for ~3 months straight, and this is a physically taxing league. Throw Fanni in if he's anywhere near fit, and at worst throw Johnson in.

6) Same for Fox: It sounds like he and Bergdich combined well down the left, at least in the first half. But he's played almost every match this season, not always well, but even though it sounds like he's been much better the last couple matches it must all be taking its toll.

7) Start Lookman: If Igor is 60 minutes fit, start him on the left, if Igor is not ready to start, start him up front.

Team for Tuesday:
Hendo
Solly Fanni Tex Young
Motta Cousins Ba Lookman
Mak Igor

Bench: Pope, Lennon, Poyet, Bergdich, Harriott, JBG, Reza (Harriott for Igor if Igor isn't fully fit).

Comments

• Options
    It is on Radio London for those who will not be there, although I could not get today's game on the radio
  • Options
    Ashers said:

Fair enough but trouble is that after 40 plus years I'm actually getting to a point where I really don't care what team we put out.

Hate to say it but that's me too.
  • Options
    Change the kick off to Monday evening we could stand a chance of winning it if the other team does not turn up......Well at least we would not lose.Would we.
  • Options
    Deckchairs and Titanic I'm afraid :(
  • Options
    I agree with most of what you say, but...

I don't think Motta is a midfielder, so if he plays it will be right back (and what happens to Solly, my MoM today then)

Fox was better today, and Young is much more of an attacker.

Lennon needs a rest but Johnson is so slow! I don't think Fanni is ready for a CB role.

Harriot was almost brilliant today, and if he had scored from a couple of the chances he had then we might have been purring about him instead. He will start on Tuesday, but I'd prefer him wide left with Igor starting. Then bring Lookman on for the last 35 minutes to keep Igor fit (if that is possible).

JBG is a key player, and it is sad he isn't on his best form. Our only other right midfielder is Reza, and he is crap.

My team for Tuesday would be -

Henderson
    Solly
    Teixeira
    Sarr
    Fox
    Cousins (if fit, or Ba if not)
    Poyet
    JBG
    Harriott
    Makienok
    Vetokele

Subs: Pope Suk-Young Fanni, Ba, Motta, Lookman, Bergdich.

• Options
    SDAddick said:

Right, so matches finish at 9am here so I've got the rest of the day to stew over it. So my current coping mechanism is trying to look ahead. This is a good time to have another match in three days, and if we can get one or two (namely Cousins and Igor) back from injury, then hopefully we can start to use our squad.

So, changes for Tuesday:

1) Time to take a chance on Igor: if he's anywhere near fit, he should be at least in the team, if not in the starting lineup. Riga is in a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation where if he plays him and Igor has a flare up and we lose him for the rest of the year, he gets flack. If he holds him back, well, the team struggles to score. Now is the time to gamble for me.

2) Use the signings. We've signed experienced players who are full internationals in the hope that they can inject quality into the team at some point. Young and Motta have Championship experience. Now is the time.

3) Drop Poyet: from the sounds of things he hasn't been particularly good, and if JJ is getting in the side in a holding midfield role ahead of him then chances are he hasn't been brilliant in training either. I don't think he's particularly well suited to a midfield 2 in 4-4-2, all these mean he deserves to start from the bench.

4) Rest JBG. I think that he set piece delivery alone is usually worthy of a place in the side, but he is probably pushing 40 matches this season between club and country. Start him on the bench, when he came on against Forest (I think it was) it sounds like he helped change the game.

5) Take Lennon out of the firing line. He's had good moments and bad, but he is one where this is his first year of first team football, he's played from the start for ~3 months straight, and this is a physically taxing league. Throw Fanni in if he's anywhere near fit, and at worst throw Johnson in.

6) Same for Fox: It sounds like he and Bergdich combined well down the left, at least in the first half. But he's played almost every match this season, not always well, but even though it sounds like he's been much better the last couple matches it must all be taking its toll.

7) Start Lookman: If Igor is 60 minutes fit, start him on the left, if Igor is not ready to start, start him up front.

Team for Tuesday:
    Hendo
    Solly Fanni Tex Young
    Motta Cousins Ba Lookman
    Mak Igor

Bench: Pope, Lennon, Poyet, Bergdich, Harriott, JBG, Reza (Harriott for Igor if Igor isn't fully fit).

Fannis been texting young?
  • Options
    Pope
    Solly
    Lennon
    Tex
    Fox
    Charles-Cook
    Cousins
    Jackson
    Harriott
    Lookman
    Vetokele
  • Options
    Are we playing Tuesday?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    8) Sell the club
  • Options

Are we playing Tuesday?

Good thing we aint playing Wednesday on Tuesday.
  • Options
    It doesn't matter what team we put out on Tuesday we are stuffed regardless.
    There is a cancer in our club at the moment and tinkering with formations and players are not going to have any influence.
  • Options
    Tuesday night, far away from home, I think a lot of the new guys will get a run out.

Preston NE - now, there's a club that's having a good season.
  • Options
    se7oaks said:

Ashers said:

Fair enough but trouble is that after 40 plus years I'm actually getting to a point where I really don't care what team we put out.

Hate to say it but that's me too.
    Ditto.
  • Options
    Pointless. Just phone Preston and tell them they can have a 4-0.
  • Options

Are we playing Tuesday?

Good thing we aint playing Wednesday on Tuesday.
    Blimey, that would be MASSIVE.
  • Options
    Deck chairs. Titanic. The. re-arranging. On.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We are virtually down, so have to find a way to impose ourselves on teams and win games. Some may say that is impossible. They are probably right, but go down fighting I say. No playing for a draw - go out to beat them.
  • Options
    Dropping JBG and Mak is a MUST if we want to win any more games.
    Poyet has lost the plot
    Reza never had it in the first place.

Leave these 4 out for a while and see what happens - we have nothing to lose, as we are already down.
  • Options
    Mak is a decent player if the team could play to his strengths. He isn't a lone striker and never will be. Wing backs needed, JBG can piss off.
  • Options
    Play the under 21s , start preparing for next season
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Mak is a decent player if the team could play to his strengths. He isn't a lone striker and never will be. Wing backs needed, JBG can piss off.

No way Jose should we be building a team around Mak. Someone like Kermorgant maybe, because he's so adaptable. Mak? No chance.

We've not scored in 3, make that our priority, go gung-ho for the first goal, if it goes wrong, who cares.. don't go down without a kick, it's not fair on the paying fans.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    tony1234 said:

Play the under 21s , start preparing for next season

Might be tricky, they'll have a match on Monday afternoon.
    Although I think the U18s match at Watford on Saturday was postponed, so they'd be up for it!
  • Options
    Changes for Tuesday-: Roland Gone, Riga Gone, Meire Gone, Murray Gone, now that would be a starter. As for the team it doesn't matter, because of the aforementioned gang of 4, we are Going all the way to Vanarama!!
  • Options
    We now have too many players, unfit punts (NOT a misspelling) who probably won't get a start until relegation is a certainty .. Such a shame that Kashi, Bauer & Vetokele have missed so many games through injury. Reminds me of the old cliché about buying a second hand car .. do so and you buy someone else's problems.

What was the point of signing Johnson only to leave him on the bench ? ... he is needed in the middle alongside Tex with Lennon at left back .. Poyet ? .. OUT for good and don't come back, Jackson MUST come back in the middle and where is Cousins ? .. Makienok ? .. an enigma, sometimes good away and rubbish at home .. Harriott ? .. over anxious to please but at least wears the CAFC badge close to his heart .. JBG ? .. soon be gone, drop him now, though I regret having to type this
    I honestly think whatever the selection for PNE, we will NOT get a result, although the Rotherham performance might indicate otherwise, that looks more and more like the last spurt of flame from the dying embers of a dreadful burnt out season. The management (is this an oxymoron) needs to start preparing for a more vigorous and less salubrious life in the third strata from next springtime.

Henderson .. Solly, Johnson, Teixeira, Lennon .. Ba, Cousins, Jackson, Harriott .. Umerah, Lookman .. let's see what the youngsters, along with a few older heads, can do
  • Options
    Pointless thread really, discussing team changes etc. we are down and have been for some weeks just some people can't/won't accept the glaringly obvious. I've lost count (and care even less) of the number of foreign, third-class no-hopers who wouldn't get into Welling's team, foisted onto us. If Preston don't stuff us on Tuesday I'll be amazed!
    Looks like this will be my last season - after almost 50 years - of going to the Valley. Certainly will not watch 3rd Division (probably 4th Division football within a year). Until these heartless cretins who have ripped the heart out of our famous club have gone I will find something else to do with my Saturdays.
  • Options
    We have absolutely nothing to lose, so changes must happen.
    Solly and Motta are the best full back options we have, so playing one of them at left back is a risk worth taking IMO.
    Lookman and Vetokele also must start if fit, as our goal threat is just laughable at the moment. If fit, Cousins comes back in too.