Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is this the same Riga?

2»

Comments

• Options
    So many things wrong with all things Charlton from top to bottom. When the inevitable is confirmed and we start next season in league 1,Riga won't be here. Out of all the players,who,seriously,has done anywhere near enough this season to warrant a place in the Charlton team next year? Not that half the spineless fucks will be here anyway,they'll be playing for another team in the Championship or heaven forbid,in a higher league as they won't be wanting to play league 1 footy will they? Hand on heart,I think this is probably one if the most instantly forgettable team of players in the history if CAFC. Sad.
  • Options
    The real Jose Riga is now fronting Wet Wet Wet.
  • Options

This time round he hasn't inherited a team from Chris Powell who new how to defend and scrap for points.

i.e. he surfed on the hard work of others, all the way to ill deserved status
  • Options

his squad is a lot weaker than the one he came to last time.

Yes dare I say that this seasons Gudmunsson is not as good as Ajdarevic from Riga's first season!!!
  • Options
    IA said:

Chris Powell's last home match was a 1-0 win against the team who were eventually promoted via the playoffs.

The job Riga did previously really wasn't that special.

I don't think it is time to all of a sudden forget that Riga turned it around last time. I still have little doubt we were going down under Powell.

Issue is this time that we could have any manager in the world at present and we would still be just as bad - the club is in that much turmoil. Riga, Freye, Ferguson, Martinez, Howe....we are just shite.
  • Options

IA said:

Chris Powell's last home match was a 1-0 win against the team who were eventually promoted via the playoffs.

The job Riga did previously really wasn't that special.

I don't think it is time to all of a sudden forget that Riga turned it around last time. I still have little doubt we were going down under Powell.

Issue is this time that we could have any manager in the world at present and we would still be just as bad - the club is in that much turmoil. Riga, Freye, Ferguson, Martinez, Howe....we are just shite.
    The club is in turmoil and we have a very weak squad. Having said that, Riga offers little. He doesn't have the skills to polish a turd and, as the weeks go by, this will become even more obvious.

Ferguson, Martinez and Howe would all do better with this squad, because they are all football managers with years of experience between them. They have shown themselves to be the real deal over time.

Riga is a network stooge with moderate coaching and consulting experience, nothing more. He was fast tracked into a job he's not able to do, just like all the others from this pathetic network.

Riga does have a degree in computer science though, so could probably help Roland with his spreadsheets
  • Options
    edited February 2016

The squad we had assembled under potless Delboy owners! Says all you need to know really doesn't it. The only people who don't seem to get it arre the idiot, the liar and Judas - and I still can't work out where Judas is coming from - I do hope when we get rid of this lot, he isn't welcome in the executive lounges of our great club ever again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He also played Harriott up front yesterday, another mistake made by his network predecessors. I don't want to be too negative about him just yet but don't be surprised if he's playing three left backs next week or swapping full backs over....
  • Options
    The problem was, for all the players he brought in, the need was for a strong midfielder. We didn't even bring in a weak one!
  • Options
    The Bristol City home game was the defining point in whether he could manage to turn it around again. I think he was shocked at how quiet the Valley was that day. Had we won that one I think we'd have got out of it. The crowd as much as anything was the reason we got out of it the last time, he hasn't had that advantage this time around. The toxic atmosphere this time has had a very detrimental effect and would have made it very difficult for any manager to succeed, and no I'm not blaming the fans for our predicament, just trying to see things from his perspective.
  • Options

The Bristol City home game was the defining point in whether he could manage to turn it around again. I think he was shocked at how quiet the Valley was that day. Had we won that one I think we'd have got out of it. The crowd as much as anything was the reason we got out of it the last time, he hasn't had that advantage this time around. The toxic atmosphere this time has had a very detrimental effect and would have made it very difficult for any manager to succeed, and no I'm not blaming the fans for our predicament, just trying to see things from his perspective.

But I feel the fans and the atmosphere wouldn't be so toxic if the club had hired a proper manager, someone with vast experience in these situations. And saying Riga fits this category is a weak statement imho.

• Options

Certainly weaker by character
  • Options
    HandG said:

What worried me about today was the Solly to centre midfield change. He is the best right back at the club (not that there is much competition!) and one of our best players-any coach worth their salt would see that and not try to fix what is not broken yet Riga has followed Peeters and Fraeye in moving him. Are they all idiots or is someone else telling them it's a good idea?
    Either that or Solly fancies a change which, given his body language when he does moves position, seems unlikely.

They midfield of Bergdich, Solly, Gudmundsson and Lookman Is one of the most bizarre things I've seen
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

We are bottom of the league because the players aren't good enough, the team isn't good enough, the coaches including Riga haven't been good enough, there is no team spirit, there is no football structure, there is no scouting system, there is no direction from the top, the owner places winning football matches as his third priority behind the academy and being nice and there is no plan to get us out of this downward spiral. No wonder the fans have had enough.

Riga hasn't got a scooby on how to turn this around. The Belgian coaches default of moving Solly into central midfield and replacing him with a Full Back who never crossed the halfway line, proved that. we are two-nil down so he put on a defensive full back and moved an overlapping full back out of position. Result= no more build up play down the right! Genius. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that was "I had better put one of the new players on otherwise Roly will get upset".
    I think it's called desperation or clutching at straws. However, had our good play in the first half resulted in a goal or two, it could have been a very different game. Lot's of ifs and buts and small margins involved. Losing Vetokele again straight after Rotherham was another thing that hit us hard. At no stage this season has the team been able to build up any confidence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    True and Riga may have written off the game at 2-0 and wanted to see the new players. Also, not wanting to risk a midfield injury. On thing we know about him is that he can write games off for strategic reasons. Still doesn't feel like the same bloke now - Reza would have come off much sooner last week in his first stint I'm sure.
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

But I feel the fans and the atmosphere wouldn't be so toxic if the club had hired a proper manager, someone with vast experience in these situations. And saying Riga fits this category is a weak statement imho.

Hi Christian. Yes, I agree, but knowing the regime as we do, that was never going to happen and Riga was probably the best we could have hoped for from them. Given what he had achieved the last time, I'd have liked to have seen the whole club get 100% behind him until the end of the season at least, then reassess.
  • Options
    When asked about the Blackpool job on Sky Riga said exactly the same thing , I didn't realise what a big job it was/problems there were. To hear him trotting the same line out already here is basically him telling us that we are doomed.

As we know the problem is the lying regime, if they had actually done what they said they were going to do after Freire (don't care if spelt wrong) was appointed and commenced a robust search for a permanent head coach then at least we might have had a better chance, although without the right back up staff with no Damien Mathew etc. who knows. I hate this lying poisonous regime, never felt so low about Charlton in 38 years of support.
  • Options
    Maybe he thinks relegating us is his revenge on RD, bonus for us it may be the end for the regime (although it may not mean we improve again for a long time).
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

We are bottom of the league because the players aren't good enough, the team isn't good enough, the coaches including Riga haven't been good enough, there is no team spirit, there is no football structure, there is no scouting system, there is no direction from the top, the owner places winning football matches as his third priority behind the academy and being nice and there is no plan to get us out of this downward spiral. No wonder the fans have had enough.

Riga hasn't got a scooby on how to turn this around. The Belgian coaches default of moving Solly into central midfield and replacing him with a Full Back who never crossed the halfway line, proved that. we are two-nil down so he put on a defensive full back and moved an overlapping full back out of position. Result= no more build up play down the right! Genius. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that was "I had better put one of the new players on otherwise Roly will get upset".
    Was gonna like this post Tutt-Tutt as I agreed with all your first paragraph, until I got to the bit about the new right back and wondered if we were at the same game. Agree that Solly in midfield is nuts though
  • Options
    Why are we comparing Riga's previous spell with this one unfavourably, it was Freiye (sp) who masterminded the last one. Haha.
  • Options

Why are we comparing Riga's previous spell with this one unfavourably, it was Freiye (sp) who masterminded the last one. Haha.

Oh yes, I forgot.