Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

most bizarre Charlton signing

2»

Comments

• We'd hardly bat an eyelid at the Pouso signing these days.
  • Small,fanni

Should be a double barrelled name. Imagine that one the back of a shirt Small-Fanni
    Anil Koc.
  • It must be the stray black cat which was signed up I believe in the 1960s and which subsequently appeared on the front cover of the national Football League magazine which went out free in club programmes across the land for a few years.

• This thread really makes you realise how many shit signings we've made over the years!!
  • Lepoint has to go in there because he seemed to be a sensible signing on paper - hard working, dynamic box to box midfielder - who could contribute to our attempt to stay up, then went on to sub on occasionally, get chucked up front against Cardiff and disappear into the ether, all while looking like an anorexic Mark Strong. Has anyone ever asked Katrien to explain that one? It's one thing signing players who go on to be rubbish but he didn't even have the chance to show us just how rubbish he could be
  • edited February 2016
    Allan Simonsen. I mean....coming to play alongside Les Berry, Terry Bullivant and Phil Ferns. Fuck me!
  • Viggo Jacobsen and (ex ice hockey player) Johnny Ostergaard

Mind you didn't Johnny score a wonder goal away at (I think) Wrexham ?

Still bizzare thou
  • Anil Koc and Loic Nego
  • cafcfan said:

Steve Barbé.
    Don't think he did anything other than sit on the bench. It probably goes without saying that he's a Belgian.

or

Alessandro Santos aka Alex, the Japanese Brazilian. He'd pitched up at the club but couldn't get a work permit so the deal fell through. Probably just as well.

Or Christian Bolanos. Another work permit casualty who turned up at the last world cup playing really well for costa rica
  • Simonsen said:

Allan Simonsen. I mean....coming to play alongside Les Berry, Terry Bullivant and Phil Ferns. Fuck me!

Probably the best player in a Charlton shirt that I can remember, and I have been watching since 1952
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2016
    Florent Rouamba, Lloyd Doyley
  • jdsd42 said:

carlton cole ...

Was behind Cole in que down the BP petrol station on Woolwich Road when he put 15 quids worth of squirt in his BMW
  • Piotr Parsyceck by a country fecking mile. Mikel Alonso was at the arse end of his career and I wasn't expecting much from him but when you consider who we flogged to get PP in makes me wince. As Colonel Kurtz put it "the horror...."
  • This thread really makes you realise how many shit signings we've made over the years!!

so has every team in the county to be fair.
  • Even the players thought Nego was a mad signing!
  • Bally Smart
  • From the 1960's I give you Maurice Setters. A top player in his prime, played for Man U I believe. We got him at the arse-end of his career, after he had a broken leg. Def Midfield, he could'nt run, just hopped with a limp!
  • The most confusing at the time for me was Robbie Mustoe. Didn't understand it then, don't understand it now.
  • The ugliest man in football Ian Dowie
    Surely only signed by RM to get up the nose of perma-tanned uber-ponse, stalker magnet, brother of mobile phone tycoon, bequiffed, then current palarse chairman Slime-on Jordan

Totally Agree
  • People are just naming signings that didn't work out. I thought Hasselbaink was a very exciting signing at the time, certainly not bizarre.

Bizarre would be players like Yohann Thuram who was forced into the team against the managers wishes. That sort of shite massively trumps signings like JFH and even Traore and Faye.
  • Sponsored links:

• bellz2002 said:

The most confusing at the time for me was Robbie Mustoe. Didn't understand it then, don't understand it now.

He commentates on NBC over here in the states. Comes across as an intelligent and likeable fella! Maybe one for dressing room morale at the time?

• edited February 2016
    I dunno @cafctom , the Boro fans were warning us he was a waste of space, and cerainly occupied a lot of that.
    For my money, it was Simonsen. Great player, but a European footballer of the year, signed from Barcelona to play at second division Charlton? How much more weird is there? Plus he was so out of our league moneywise we almost went out of business due to signing him.
  • It must be the stray black cat which was signed up I believe in the 1960s and which subsequently appeared on the front cover of the national Football League magazine which went out free in club programmes across the land for a few years.

Wait... What? A black cat?

• No the ultimate is Katrien Meire
  • Another vote for the Iranian Zidane where reserve matches went from being watched by one man to 500 iranian fans with flags chanting with flares
  • Ben18 said:

Florent Rouamba, Lloyd Doyley

Definitely Florent for me, wasnt even signed under the Belgian regime too, he was a Chris Powell signing
  • TEL said:

No the ultimate is Katrien Meire

We're on the same wavelength then. But I'm on page 1!!
  • Small,fanni

Should be a double barrelled name. Imagine that one the back of a shirt Small-Fanni
    Fish Fanni

• What about Young Fanni Costa Fortune.