Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

most bizarre Charlton signing

Has to be the legend that was Omar Pouso the man who scored that superb goal for Uruguay against England. Made a single appearance for us and then disappeared - not sure why we signed him?
There have been numerous 'exciting' signings that haven't worked out and it's often the unheralded ones that do the business. Kermo was certainly the one that shocked us all.

Comments

• Options
    I'll be the first to say Cory Gibbs...
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Alan Simonsen - Close thread ;0)
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

I'll be the first to say Cory Gibbs...

That was my line...
  • Options
    John Barnes was a bit of an odd one
  • Options
    Alan Davies
    Scott Sinclair
    Neil Etheridge
  • Options
    Traore & Faye for a combined fee of 4 million. It made no sense then and still doesn't.
  • Options
    Tom Hovi
  • Options
    Fanni
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mike Small
  • Options
    Jimmy Floyd Piggybainks
  • Options
    Small,fanni
  • Options

Has to be the legend that was Omar Pouso the man who scored that superb goal for Uruguay against England. Made a single appearance for us and then disappeared - not sure why we signed him?

45 mins V Portsmouth in the relegation season
  • Options
    Karim Bagheri.
  • Options
    carlton cole ...
  • Options
    Eggert
  • Options
    Karim Bagherifanny the iranian captain, played about 20 minutes away to ipswich and was never seen again.
  • Options
    I could list quite a few but I'm sure any consensus opinion in arriving at a top 10 would show at least 8 of them took place in the last 2 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mikel Alonso
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Steve Barbé.
    Don't think he did anything other than sit on the bench. It probably goes without saying that he's a Belgian.

or

Alessandro Santos aka Alex, the Japanese Brazilian. He'd pitched up at the club but couldn't get a work permit so the deal fell through. Probably just as well.
  • Options
    Johnny Ostergaard
    Viggo Jacobsen
    Barry Endean
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Jesper Blomqvist
    Juan Cobian
  • Options

Jesper Blomqvist

Good call.
    Nicholas said:

Karim Bagherifanny the iranian captain, played about 20 minutes away to ipswich and was never seen again.

I remember Keith Peacock raving about his aerial ability, that he'd never seen a player 'hang' in the air like Bagheri. I wasn't at his one and only appearance at Ipswich, but I saw him once at Sparrow's Lane. And that's something, Goddamit.
  • Options
    Meire surely.
  • Options
    The ugliest man in football Ian Dowie
    Surely only signed by RM to get up the nose of perma-tanned uber-ponse, stalker magnet, brother of mobile phone tycoon, bequiffed, then current palarse chairman Slime-on Jordan
  • Options
    David Tuttle. Most of the players since the Belgians have been squatting.
  • Options
    A lot of these signings aren't bizarre at all. Yes they flopped with us, but at the time I don't remember complaints about JFH, Scott Sinclair, Blomqvist, Cole etc. They all seemed reasonable buys. Similarly, a lot of the non league signings were low cost punts, so again reasonable gambles.

Simonsen was bizarre for being far to good and expensive for us.

• Options

Small,fanni

Should be a double barrelled name. Imagine that one the back of a shirt Small-Fanni