Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is there anything lower than rock-bottom?

As this is my first activity on any CAFC blogging website I think it is best that I introduce myself before I rant on. My name is Stefano Valentino, 25, from Bexleyheath. Unfortunately, due to my young age I am not able to boast as many years of loyal support as most of the people reading this blog, for I was only a small baby when we returned home. But I have experienced first hand all the significant highs and lows of the last 20 years, and I was also at Wembley on that day. By writing this piece, I don’t intend to achieve anything other than providing food for thought and a passionate opinion on the current affairs.

Although the hot topic has been, and for the foreseeable future will be, the regime and how much it is ruining the lives of all Charlton fans, I will not be talking about this. Instead I will use this time to call in to question the actions of us, the supporters. For the record, I am a HUGE advocate of the protests, flash protests and making our feelings know about the hierarchy during the game – and long may they continue. Note: my favourite thing so far has been lobbing lots of small leaflets over the Director’s Box, right next to where I sit so whoever that is – please continue. However, there was one incident on Saturday (vs Bristol City) that really got to me and combined with us being overtaken by the penniless, playerless no hopers in Bolton Wanderers, has made me break my silence. I thought that the sarcastic cheer for Morgan Fox when he was substituted was an absolute disgrace. We all know that he’s not the best left back that we’ve ever had at the Valley, but he’s certainly not the worst. Unfortunately for him, he’s in a similar situation to all the daft ‘network’ players at the moment whereby he doesn’t have the required experience to deal with the relegation dogfight. Let us remember that he is not one of the hierarchy’s signings that have only heard of Charlton when they’re in their rented accommodation in Hungary or Spain when they receive the dreaded phone call from Katrien asking them if they fancy a pop at the Championship for a few months. He is a product of our incredible youth academy that churns out some superb players year on year and one that we are all proud of, and we should try him like one of our own.

My point is, the club in it’s entirety is at rock-bottom. So to get on the backs of our young British talents who are on long-term contracts and arguably the future of our club (if Roland DOUCHEatelet doesn’t sell them for a quick buck) is only going to deepen the woes of our football club. God forbid we go down (yes, I still believe we will stay up), then it will be the likes of the average to good academy products that will be left to pick up the pieces, as the hot prospects will have been sold on the cheap and the network players and journeymen swiftly moved on.

Saturday evening to the following Saturday morning is the time where we can reflect on the continual atrocities happening to our beloved club and bemoan the destruction likely to be left behind by the Belgians when we finally oust them out, but we only have a 2-hour period on a Saturday afternoon to really express how much we love our club and all the players that play their hearts out for the shirt. Now would be the worst time to get on the backs of the players and if we really push the boys on to get the results we need to stay up then that would truly show the owners the power that we the fans have.

I hope this amateurish but passionate piece evokes thought in my fellow Charlton fans and resonates with some of you. I’m not trying to be a revolutionary but I hope little by little we can start believing in the boys again.

Yours in collusion, Stefano Valentino

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• If there is, I'm sure this mob can find it!
  • Snakes arse?
  • I will take those comments as supportive, rather than destructive. Ta.
  • Good first post SV.
    Yes, Morgan is floundering but there is no need for his own fans to humiliate him.
  • edited February 2016
    between a rock .. and a hard place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq4mNU0qrlk
  • Good first post SV.
    Yes, Morgan is floundering but there is no need for his own fans to humiliate him.

If we are not consoling our younger players then they will leave aswell and we wont even have a recogniseable team to field next year - it will be Hungarian, Belgian and German semi-pros with no soul.
  • Congratulations, you have been deservedly flagged on your opening post.
  • Well said Sefano, for years Fox has not had a competent left side midfielder in front of him, probably the pick of the bunch being Cousins playing out of position. Sure thing his distribution could be better, however he gets isolated match after match and knocking the kid's effort is not the way to go!
  • For a first post I think you have made a valid point. Fox may not be the best left back, but as you say he is not a foreign import from RD's network and is a product of our own academy. When someone loses confidence it can make them perform poorly, I know, as I used to be OK at giving presentations, but I was heckled a few times about 2 years ago and my confidence was shot to bits, so I avoided giving them like the plague. Now slowly I'm getting my confidence back again and am on the way back. Fox is only a young lad and needs support not knocking in my opinion as well, BUT he should understand that at times like this then extraordinary things happen and supporters who have been treated badly need to vent, they will vent on someone that perhaps in normal times they wouldn't have done. In short I blame RD for what is happening on and off the pitch, he is the poison, not the fans, he needs to go, not Fox, perhaps in the fullness of time when RD and the regime have gone Fox and others will get their confidence back...you don't become a bad player overnight, but you can be a bad owner from Day 1.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd guess a fossil's nob is lower than rock bottom
  • Swisdom said:

I'd guess a fossil's nob is lower than rock bottom

Are you referring to RD?
  • He's not a young British talent. He's shit
  • Good post.

He's having a rough time at the moment but Fox showed us what he could do at the end of last season with a decent left midfielder in front of him. He is committed but desperately needs help with his attacking play, both on the field from the players around him and off the field from the coaching staff.

Let's face it we're heading for League 1 and Morgan may be important to us next year.
  • Good post.

He's having a rough time at the moment but Fox showed us what he could do at the end of last season with a decent left midfielder in front of him. He is committed but desperately needs help with his attacking play, both on the field from the players around him and off the field from the coaching staff.

Let's face it we're heading for League 1 and Morgan may be important to us next year.

That last sentence - that's chilling but accurate.

I still believe we will get out of it but you're right we might need these players that are "not good enough"
  • A bit like Waggy, he's one of ours, but few of us think he's good enough for where we feel we should be (at the moment, I live in hope that he will improve with age). There's always been a lack of patience within the fans, and that was maybe acceptable when we had a squad big enough for options. Sadly, I fear that Fox might never recover from the last two seasons, in just the same way as our club.

I'd love it if the fans took to supporting him, in particular, because I really do think he needs it and, as has already been mentioned, we might need him in the future....
  • 13th in League One under Powell was rock bottom for me... losing 4-3 to Shrewsbury in the cup after being 3-0 up playing Bally Smart on Non-Contract terms was worse than this
  • Welcome to CL, Stefano,

In one of the nationals, we had fallen off the bottom of the page, hopefully we can be found and adopted by a caring and loving owner.

Thou it's not my style to slag off the players out loud, I guess a lots of guys are puzzled why THD isn't getting a run out at home when his attacking qualities are superior.

The sarcastic cheering of players made a return with Simon Church,
    Big Mak, and now Fox.

I think our fans/supporters/watchers are punch drunk and after about 40 home defeats in under 4 seasons; can you really blame them ?

This isn't all under this regime, but since we got back in the championship our home form has been erratic at best.

To replicate the noise of the 5-4 win against Cardiff would be great or even the second half last season at home to Cardiff, when we fought back to draw 1-1 and should of won if Igor had his shooting boots on.

• edited February 2016

Welcome to CL, Stefano,

In one of the nationals, we had fallen off the bottom of the page, hopefully we can be found and adopted by a caring and loving owner.

Thou it's not my style to slag off the players out loud, I guess a lots of guys are puzzled why THD isn't getting a run out at home when his attacking qualities are superior.

Big Mak, and now Fox.

I think our fans/supporters/watchers are punch drunk and after about 40 home defeats in under 4 seasons; can you really blame them ?

This isn't all under this regime, but since we got back in the championship our home form has been erratic at best.

To replicate the noise of the 5-4 win against Cardiff would be great or even the second half last season at home to Cardiff, when we fought back to draw 1-1 and should of won if Igor had his shooting boots on.

Because THD is injured
  • i agree with you. There should never be booing of players. It achieves nothing positive. Support the team not the regime.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2016
    ross1 said:

Welcome to CL, Stefano,

Big Mak, and now Fox.

Because THD is injured
    Thank you,

That must of been undisclosed,

because i don't seem to be the only person who thought that.

• RobRob
    edited February 2016
    I seem to remember a certain Simon Francis getting a similar lashing on here. He hasn't done too bad has he with the right management/support. Get off his back. Achieves nothing positive.
  • Rob said:

I seem to remember a certain Simon Francis getting a similar lashing on here. He hasn't done too bad has he with the right management/support. Get off his back. Achieves nothing positive.

That's a very valid point. Unfortunately, it seems as though it may be a long time before we get a competent coach at Charlton who has the ability to bring out the best in players. How long before the younger batch of players realise this and move on? Until we acquire an experienced coach with a reputation for good man management then it makes for a bleak future.
  • edited February 2016
    The Preston league cup game when Francis played his last Match for CAFC,
    is famous for the slating for Francis in the 45 minutes he lasted,
    but don't know if it's been mentioned but I'm am sure that BWP got an ear full at the end of the match as well by a few guys who were slagging him off for being lazy.

It really doesn't help, but the folk who do that want them to depart the club.
    not to improve, i feel for their families who have to hear that.
    I said that to one of the dad's at the 21 game against Millwall, how do they keep cool if their son is being slagged off ? you just have to, was the Answer. I would've had to wear ear phones if my lad had made it.
  • Pompey are a lot lower, and I think the team we have played the most in the league. They are supporting both regime and team though.
  • 13th in League One under Powell was rock bottom for me... losing 4-3 to Shrewsbury in the cup after being 3-0 up playing Bally Smart on Non-Contract terms was worse than this

Agree absolutely. Firstly: Fox isn't that bad and people indulging themselves in abuse against all and sundry is pointless in our present predicament when we need unity. Second: We're still in with a shout this year (just). Let's sort out this season if we can and then try and adjust RD - and RM, who to my mind is as culpable - to a more reasonable and co-operative relationship with sensible stakeholders afterwards.
  • He's not a young British talent. He's shit

I so love this sort of constructive comment. Shows a real depth of thought and understanding.
  • The Dog and Duck Sunday league. I hear foxy has been getting some extra games in down there
  • edited February 2016
    Yeah there is pikey nicking your work van at 3 in the morning and all your fucking tools, I could rip someone's head off right now