Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Super Bowl 50

Comments

• Options
    What's Payton Manning achieved in the game that Zakarya Bergdich hasn't?
  • Options
    Live on BBC Two this year as well! Just switched over from the Sky coverage.
  • Options
    I've never heard a version of the US anthem that was better than Frank "Enrico palazzo" drebin in Naked Gun. That was no exception
  • Options
    Has she stopped? Making my ears bleed.
  • Options
    Looking forward to this
  • Options
    edited February 2016

My appreciation for the sport has increased 10 fold since moving to Canada and watched more of it and started to appreciate the rules and tactics a little bit, although I take more of an interest in the CFL simply because I have a local team to support.

It's a good sport, and actually rattles along at a good pace as long as they're focussing on the play. It's the fucking adverts that ruin it.

Today is big out here, and huge in the States - it's like a family holiday. People throw parties and devote the whole day to it. Watching the build up on CBS makes me sad for the demise of the FA Cup and the way that the Premiet League and Champions League have totally devalued that competition and what used to be the show piece occasion in the domestic sporting calendar. There's a lot to be said for building the whole season towards a big one off event like this.

Cheering for the Broncos just for the Simpsons reference and the fairy tale end for Manning.

http://youtu.be/s_FyNIXFJ-M

Great post btw. I've understood this sport a hell of a lot more since going back and forth across the Atlantic. The FA Cup comparison is spot on.
  • Options
    Just watched the woman murder their national anthem. That's it for me,I've had enough. I'm off to bed.
  • Options
    Here we go!
  • Options
    BBC not showing CBS commentary, so will stick with SKY.
  • Options
    Good opening drive for Denver there... 34 yard FG is good. 3-0 to Broncos.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bad call there, that's a catch in my book.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    WOW! Newton is sacked by Miller and Jackson recovers in the endzone. TD Broncos. 10-0
    philcafc said:

Bad call there, that's a catch in my book.

Agreed. Looked like a catch to me. With that Denver TD, it could turn out to be a huge call.
  • Options
    Catch ruled incomplete, 2 plays later Denver sack Cam for a TD.
    Big moment already
  • Options
    Panthers can't handle this Broncos defence so far...
  • Options
    Poor call. I'll take it though! Miller has been a beast postseason. Almost as if he's got a contract negotiation coming up...
  • Options
    Early days, but Denver D is at it again, although that's a big penalty against them.
  • Options

Panthers can't handle this Broncos defence so far...

And then an idiot gives away a penalty like that giving Carolina another go. NFL discipline is infuriating lol.
  • Options
    Denver playing well. Panthers seem a little bit off in everything they are doing.
  • Options
    What the fuck is going on. Why when a team get the ball are they just booting it and surrending possession?
  • Options
    edited February 2016

What the fuck is going on. Why when a team get the ball are they just booting it and surrending possession?

You have 4 chances (called "downs") to move the ball forward 10 yards. If you fail to pick up those 10 yards, the opposing team gets possession from where you last had the ball. Teams opt to punt on 4th down because there is less risk involved in that then taking the chance on making the yards you need. Giving the ball to the opposition 80 yards up the field is a lot better than only 30 yards up the field.

That's why you see teams punt the ball upfield on "4th down".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carolina hand offs in running game have been atrocious.
  • Options

You have 4 chances (called "downs") to move the ball forward 10 yards. If you fail to pick up those 10 yards, the opposing team gets possession from where you last had the ball. Teams opt to punt on 4th down because there is less risk involved in that then taking the chance on making the yards you need. Giving the ball to the opposition 80 yards up the field is a lot better than only 30 yards up the field.

That's why you see teams punt the ball upfield on "4th down".
    That's actually very helpful Callum, cheers
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Oh and if you make those 10 yards, you get another 4 chances to move it forward 10 more yards. And so it goes on.

This is a good video to help get familiar with some of the rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddwp1HyEFRE
  • Options
    Defense!
  • Options
    Panthers on the board with a touchdown. Glad they're on the board, hoping for a good game from here.
  • Options
    Is Talib going for some kind of penalty record
  • Options
    Now we have a game.
  • Options
    That was nasty that face mask.
  • Options
    For you football fans...take a look at Simon Makienok, a giant of the game
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Broncos going for it on 4th down...... but called back for a 10 yard penalty so they'll take the FG attempt.

McManus makes it from 33 yards. 13-7