Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POTY 2016. To be or not to be ? That is the question.

13»

Comments

• None of the above!
  • This is good news but I am a little surprised by the OP as on the FF video, that I saw, it was just suggested that the players would prefer the event on the Saturday. No decision had been made and as soon as Ian said that he wouldn't get involved if it was on the Saturday those around the table (employed by the club) said that no decision had been made.

Unless something happened after the FF meeting it seems a little disingenuous so call it a 'dramatic u-turn'. They suggested something different and were told that would not be popular and came back and agreed to let it stay the same.

I'm not an apologist for the club but after all the stick KM gets for lying I think that we need to be beyond reproach and, rather like the steward punching a women in the face debarcle, the facts don't seem to match up with what I saw on the FF video.

Perhaps, but it was the third meeting running at which the club had asserted its intention to override the views of the people who had organised it successfully as volunteers for the last few years. If anything it summed up her attitude to the forum, which is basically that it is cosmetic and will not change anything but is useful to show she is engaging with selected fans. That's the same attitude that led to the Crossbars debacle in 2014 and why a number of people no longer attend, because they have seen and judged her first hand over many meetings.

That three meeting saga alone makes it clear that Meire had decided that she was going to stamp her feet until she got her own way, which she didn't on the night last year. Obviously she knew there was a camera there this time, which was bound to influence what was said and how it was said.
    Airman has summarised the situation perfectly.

As he wrote in the latest VOTV, Katrien was aghast when she discovered that he was attending but also saying a few words last year and took me to one side to show her displeasure. I told her that Rick had every right to come and that he was due to speak about the Valley Party only so there would not be a problem. She wasn't happy but had to accept it and of course, there was no reason for her to have been concerned. This, of course would ultimately lead to her wanting control of the dinner this time....

At the meetings that Airman mentioned, she told us that the players did not like having to return to The Valley on a Sunday once the season was over.....hence why she wanted the event to take place on the evening of the last home match. She also indicated that a sit down dinner was not necessarily her plan.

So, this is the background prior to the recent videoed FF meeting when Ian made it perfectly clear that he and I would not be interested in a Saturday based event which most fans would find difficult. A meeting was then requested by Felicity which Ian duly attended before the Bristol City match and was told to carry on" regardless"....

Whether this was after discussion at management level & the conclusion reached was that it could be a dead duck /problematical in the current circumstances or whether it placed too heavy a load on the limited staff in place , I know not. We might also be chasing a lost cause as some on here have pointed out but believe me, we do have supporters' interests at heart & the tradition of this Club which our owner & CEO have no respect for. There is no way we wished to be involved in a buffet "bun fight" on a Saturday night where feelings could be running extremely high, especially if that afternoon's match had sealed our fate with relegation to Division One. And it was made abundantly clear that we were not for turning.

So, it is what it is. We, or rather Ian played his hand very cleverly on behalf of all supporters who enjoy said event year after year and those who may wish to attend to mark the end of another season together with friends and family. We felt that this is what you would want us to do.

The proof of this particular pudding will be in the eating of course but personally, I shall be disappointed if regular attendees decide to boycott the dinner but it's down to individuals' of course. I have already stated that any profit made will be placed in the FF account. And that's about it as I can add nothing more at this point in time.

A final thought though.... I realise that the Club finds itself in a "unique" situation under this regime, and that, as a result, the relationship between Club and fans is fraught to say the least. The relationship between fans and players is also an unusual one this year but that's a direct result of the regime's policy. And we really don't know the truth regarding what's been happening in the changing room and at SL ...but 3 managers and numerous incoming players in 5 months could be a clue as to the state of minds of our lads. This is ONE EVENING where solidarity between fans & players who have ALL been affected by this regime should surely be at the forefront of proceedings.

We're in this together ....so let's show "them" by making it a successful & enjoyable evening once again.

It could be the last tradition we retain under the current ownership after all.

Please don't view my post as a lack of appreciation for all the effort that you, and others, put into organising these events. It's been more than 20 years since I felt young enough to go to one of these but I'm sure that they are (or have been) great for those that attend.

My concern was that if we (the CARD chaps) are going to take the high ground, which I think is important, we need to avoid leaving ourselves open to acquisitions of not telling the truth - especially as her worst crime, in many people's eyes, is lying to the fans - allegedly. On this occasion I think she is in-between a rock and a hard place as the fans want it on a Sunday and the players want in on a Saturday. I'm not sure she would care one way or the other.
  • Blimey kha, you sound like you're 100 years old. What has age got to do with attendance ?
  • Let's get something clear, the players have not been consulted regarding the POTY so i don't know why she is going on about them not wanting to go.
  • Is Katrien planning to attend?
  • This is good news but I am a little surprised by the OP as on the FF video, that I saw, it was just suggested that the players would prefer the event on the Saturday. No decision had been made and as soon as Ian said that he wouldn't get involved if it was on the Saturday those around the table (employed by the club) said that no decision had been made.

Unless something happened after the FF meeting it seems a little disingenuous so call it a 'dramatic u-turn'. They suggested something different and were told that would not be popular and came back and agreed to let it stay the same.

I'm not an apologist for the club but after all the stick KM gets for lying I think that we need to be beyond reproach and, rather like the steward punching a women in the face debarcle, the facts don't seem to match up with what I saw on the FF video.

Perhaps, but it was the third meeting running at which the club had asserted its intention to override the views of the people who had organised it successfully as volunteers for the last few years. If anything it summed up her attitude to the forum, which is basically that it is cosmetic and will not change anything but is useful to show she is engaging with selected fans. That's the same attitude that led to the Crossbars debacle in 2014 and why a number of people no longer attend, because they have seen and judged her first hand over many meetings.

That three meeting saga alone makes it clear that Meire had decided that she was going to stamp her feet until she got her own way, which she didn't on the night last year. Obviously she knew there was a camera there this time, which was bound to influence what was said and how it was said.

As he wrote in the latest VOTV, Katrien was aghast when she discovered that he was attending but also saying a few words last year and took me to one side to show her displeasure. I told her that Rick had every right to come and that he was due to speak about the Valley Party only so there would not be a problem. She wasn't happy but had to accept it and of course, there was no reason for her to have been concerned. This, of course would ultimately lead to her wanting control of the dinner this time....

At the meetings that Airman mentioned, she told us that the players did not like having to return to The Valley on a Sunday once the season was over.....hence why she wanted the event to take place on the evening of the last home match. She also indicated that a sit down dinner was not necessarily her plan.

So, this is the background prior to the recent videoed FF meeting when Ian made it perfectly clear that he and I would not be interested in a Saturday based event which most fans would find difficult. A meeting was then requested by Felicity which Ian duly attended before the Bristol City match and was told to carry on" regardless"....

Whether this was after discussion at management level & the conclusion reached was that it could be a dead duck /problematical in the current circumstances or whether it placed too heavy a load on the limited staff in place , I know not. We might also be chasing a lost cause as some on here have pointed out but believe me, we do have supporters' interests at heart & the tradition of this Club which our owner & CEO have no respect for. There is no way we wished to be involved in a buffet "bun fight" on a Saturday night where feelings could be running extremely high, especially if that afternoon's match had sealed our fate with relegation to Division One. And it was made abundantly clear that we were not for turning.

So, it is what it is. We, or rather Ian played his hand very cleverly on behalf of all supporters who enjoy said event year after year and those who may wish to attend to mark the end of another season together with friends and family. We felt that this is what you would want us to do.

The proof of this particular pudding will be in the eating of course but personally, I shall be disappointed if regular attendees decide to boycott the dinner but it's down to individuals' of course. I have already stated that any profit made will be placed in the FF account. And that's about it as I can add nothing more at this point in time.

A final thought though.... I realise that the Club finds itself in a "unique" situation under this regime, and that, as a result, the relationship between Club and fans is fraught to say the least. The relationship between fans and players is also an unusual one this year but that's a direct result of the regime's policy. And we really don't know the truth regarding what's been happening in the changing room and at SL ...but 3 managers and numerous incoming players in 5 months could be a clue as to the state of minds of our lads. This is ONE EVENING where solidarity between fans & players who have ALL been affected by this regime should surely be at the forefront of proceedings.

We're in this together ....so let's show "them" by making it a successful & enjoyable evening once again.

Please don't view my post as a lack of appreciation for all the effort that you, and others, put into organising these events. It's been more than 20 years since I felt young enough to go to one of these but I'm sure that they are (or have been) great for those that attend.

My concern was that if we (the CARD chaps) are going to take the high ground, which I think is important, we need to avoid leaving ourselves open to acquisitions of not telling the truth - especially as her worst crime, in many people's eyes, is lying to the fans - allegedly. On this occasion I think she is in-between a rock and a hard place as the fans want it on a Sunday and the players want in on a Saturday. I'm not sure she would care one way or the other.
    KHA - is it not apparent to you yet that she makes it up as she goes along?

She recently told another group that Charlton fans would prefer home matches not to have 3pm Saturday kick-offs and that she has survey evidence to show that. People in the room thought she was barking mad. In fact, I imagine it's what she wants, because that's what they do in Belgium.

See also her comments about the programme at the last FF and the alternative account provided by Matt Wright in the current Voice on this matter. Again, what do they do in Belgium?

In any event the PotY is not arranged for the convenience or enjoyment of the players. I'm sure they'd rather not have it at all. This has all been about her inability to get her own way last May. It's the behaviour of a child.
    And a child is what she is, a spoilt brat in fact.

KHA - is it not apparent to you yet that she makes it up as she goes along?

She recently told another group that Charlton fans would prefer home matches not to have 3pm Saturday kick-offs and that she has survey evidence to show that. People in the room thought she was barking mad. In fact, I imagine it's what she wants, because that's what they do in Belgium.

See also her comments about the programme at the last FF and the alternative account provided by Matt Wright in the current Voice on this matter. Again, what do they do in Belgium?

In any event the PotY is not arranged for the convenience or enjoyment of the players. I'm sure they'd rather not have it at all. This has all been about her inability to get her own way last May. It's the behaviour of a child.
    especially this season !
  • Was delighted to read FF's OP, as thought it's a victory for the fans. Though seeing how few want to attend it will become a victory for KM as low numbers will give her the chance to say how her idea was the right one, and fans would have attended on the Saturday. Don't let her win, please. I'm in for what it's worth!
  • cafc999 said:

Let's get something clear, the players have not been consulted regarding the POTY so i don't know why she is going on about them not wanting to go.

You mean she lied??
  • Sponsored links:

• cafc999 said:

Let's get something clear, the players have not been consulted regarding the POTY so i don't know why she is going on about them not wanting to go.

You mean she lied??
    Who Katrien..??

Well I never.....

• I think the world of fanny ( Fanni jokes are so last week)
    and Ian a good bloke. but ?

How about after the starter, and before the main course,
    "stand up if you want them out" for 10 seconds
    then sit down as if nothing had happened.

Then after the main course and before the sweet,
    another 10 seconds off "stand up if you want them out"

When the sweet turns up, flick the custard or ice cream in the general direction of KM and RM.

If Katrien Meire and Dicky boy don't turn up,
    Please ignore the above and behave yourselves.
  • Oooh you are a one, Sammy ! Don't give us ideas !

Problem is, we probably won't run to 3 courses under this lot ....

• Have it as a toast...
  • On rhe voting forms for PotY, can it read 'least worst' rather than 'best'?
  • Oooh you are a one, Sammy ! Don't give us ideas !

Problem is, we probably won't run to 3 courses under this lot ....

Yep, knowing how DNC work and how much they charge we will be lucky to get a slice of bread and a cup of water . BTW, If you want butter, then that's extra
  • Nobody deserves POTY at present ....
  • Have been to a couple of POTY nigts over the last 5 years and always enjoyed them, but can not see how I would want or could attend one at the moment especially if Murray and Miere was anywhere to be seen.
  • If things carry on as they do, then picking a POTY this campaign will be like appointing someone as an admiral in the Swiss navy.