Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POTY 2016. To be or not to be ? That is the question.

So, following the recent FF meeting & Katrien's pronouncement that the Club would be running this season end's event on the Saturday evening of the Burnley match, there has now been a dramatic U turn.....

Our man at said meeting, the unflappable tri hat wearing Ian Wallis (only he could carry that off) made it abundantly clear that "we" would not be assisting in the event under those circumstances as he strode from the room, head( and hats) held high. When news of this latest statute on the CAFC Charter (ie fans will NOT be allowed to have fun under any circumstances ) reached my ears, we commiserated & spoke fondly of the memories garnered over the past 5 years , as we walked away shaking our heads...

But wait a minute ! Hold your horses !

News was relayed of a pre match meeting requested by the Club which our man agreed to attend more in hope than expectation.

Lo and behold, at apprx 14.00 hours yesterday afternoon, a jubilant, if somewhat shell shocked Ian joined us in The Fans' Baa ( oops ! Only one drink though!) with the unexpected news that our "baby" is , well, still ours !

So, dear friends, you SHALL go to the ball on err, either Sunday 1st or Sunday 8th of May. Our manager is being consulted as we speak regarding the suitability of either date & it will be confirmed ASAP.

It would appear that we have carte blanche ( no, that's not the dessert course) to stage said dinner as before with the assistance of the Club - RESULT !

Of course, the proof of the pudding etc etc but we have no reason to believe that in this instance, the Club will not be as good as its word.

It will be interesting to discover the cost of a meal this time round , as KM stated that last year the food was insufficient.....due to the increased costs we had to deal with we were forced to cut the usual 3 courses to just 2. You could have brought your own waffles, Katrien.

Although the planning has yet to be started, I can assure everyone with an interest that we shall do our best to make it a success as always and to keep the price per head as reasonable as overheads allow. What we may have to deal with is that dreaded word "apathy" with our Club floundering at the bottom of the Championship but there's little we can do to change that factor. Ideally, we need the event to sell out again & to celebrate an event for supporters, organised by supporters of our great Club.

It would be useful to have your comments on this development and some indication as to whether you might be purchasing a ticket when the time comes.

I can assure you that 100% of any profit made on the dinner will be firmly tucked away in the FF's account from which in the past, donations have been made to the Museum & to items for the Pierre Bolangi Memorial Garden. This is not for discussion.

So, what do you think ? It is not for me to suggest why the original decision made by the Club has now been reversed, but you may have your own thoughts on this. It could be that the protests have had an effect on the thinking around the event. Or that "someone" at the Club has argued that removing supporters' ownership of the dinner would be one step too far.

But, let's celebrate a tick in the "fan's column" for now, because, thanks to Ian, that's what it is.

Laters.

I'm off to find another posh frock.....

:-)

Comments

• Was that you , FF In crossbars talking to tony keohane? Any goss?
  • sammy391 said:

Was that you , FF In crossbars talking to tony keohane? Any goss?

Oohh, spotted !

Yes, it was, Sammy.

However, it was a brief chat about the Pierre Bolangi Memorial Garden.

As I wasn't able to be at the recent FF meeting, Tony had asked for a word regarding the digging up of the shrubs/hedging/plants which needs to be done soon at SL.

Hadlow College people will be involved with the heavy digging etc but the Fanackapans hope to be present when the date is confirmed.

Nothing juicy, I'm afraid.

• Not for me this year I don't think (have done the previous two). Plenty of reason's I won't go into detail as to explain. Great work as ever though Fanny, if the expected take up isn't enough then maybe it's worth re-thinking.

• Great news, young lady !! Don't care if the numbers are such that it ends up as McDonalds in a phone box - I'm in !!
  • Well done @Fanny Fanackapan and well done @killerjerrylee.

I left Ian in the museum waiting for Felicity to arrive for the meeting with Jason Morgan (his fault he said why they were late as I bumped into them downstairs) and wondered what the upshot would be.

A victory for common sense and fan power I hope.

• Another small step in the Long trek to Freedom.

Good work Ian and Jean.
  • Good work from all those involved
  • edited February 2016
    Great news for you Fanny especially in regard to all the hard work you put into this.

I will though not attend on principle that although the profits (I presume from ticket sales and raffles) go to the Fans Forum, any money spent at the bar goes straight to Delaware North as part of their contract with CAFC, and they have not had a penny of my money for over 12 months and will continue until RD and KM have left
  • Will have three when available depends on the date
  • Well played Jean and Ian. I won't attend as My personal boycott started today and I couldn't bring myself to think of any of this current shower of turds as POTY but, as a principle, this is a victory so well done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very good news, congratulations on a win against the regime and for ensuring the event will still be worthwhile.
  • Will Pinocchio and Judas be in attendance on the night?
  • So, following the recent FF meeting & Katrien's pronouncement that the Club would be running this season end's event on the Saturday evening of the Burnley match, there has now been a dramatic U turn.....

Our man at said meeting, the unflappable tri hat wearing Ian Wallis (only he could carry that off) made it abundantly clear that "we" would not be assisting in the event under those circumstances as he strode from the room, head( and hats) held high. When news of this latest statute on the CAFC Charter (ie fans will NOT be allowed to have fun under any circumstances ) reached my ears, we commiserated & spoke fondly of the memories garnered over the past 5 years , as we walked away shaking our heads...

But wait a minute ! Hold your horses !

News was relayed of a pre match meeting requested by the Club which our man agreed to attend more in hope than expectation.

Lo and behold, at apprx 14.00 hours yesterday afternoon, a jubilant, if somewhat shell shocked Ian joined us in The Fans' Baa ( oops ! Only one drink though!) with the unexpected news that our "baby" is , well, still ours !

So, dear friends, you SHALL go to the ball on err, either Sunday 1st or Sunday 8th of May. Our manager is being consulted as we speak regarding the suitability of either date & it will be confirmed ASAP.

It would appear that we have carte blanche ( no, that's not the dessert course) to stage said dinner as before with the assistance of the Club - RESULT !

Of course, the proof of the pudding etc etc but we have no reason to believe that in this instance, the Club will not be as good as its word.

It will be interesting to discover the cost of a meal this time round , as KM stated that last year the food was insufficient.....due to the increased costs we had to deal with we were forced to cut the usual 3 courses to just 2. You could have brought your own waffles, Katrien.

Although the planning has yet to be started, I can assure everyone with an interest that we shall do our best to make it a success as always and to keep the price per head as reasonable as overheads allow. What we may have to deal with is that dreaded word "apathy" with our Club floundering at the bottom of the Championship but there's little we can do to change that factor. Ideally, we need the event to sell out again & to celebrate an event for supporters, organised by supporters of our great Club.

It would be useful to have your comments on this development and some indication as to whether you might be purchasing a ticket when the time comes.

I can assure you that 100% of any profit made on the dinner will be firmly tucked away in the FF's account from which in the past, donations have been made to the Museum & to items for the Pierre Bolangi Memorial Garden. This is not for discussion.

So, what do you think ? It is not for me to suggest why the original decision made by the Club has now been reversed, but you may have your own thoughts on this. It could be that the protests have had an effect on the thinking around the event. Or that "someone" at the Club has argued that removing supporters' ownership of the dinner would be one step too far.

But, let's celebrate a tick in the "fan's column" for now, because, thanks to Ian, that's what it is.

Laters.

I'm off to find another posh frock.....

:-)

Good news fanny
  • edited February 2016
    Just one question:

If any profit is generated from this function, who will get it? The FF or the club?

edit:

Just seen the answer in the original post - sorry all
  • I know this is a bit of a flanker fanny, but in terms of the food and the price, is there any chance at all that the catering could be done by anybody other than Delaware catering? Unfortunately the food and drink on offer last year left a whole lot to be desired, will the club insist on them doing it again?
  • Let's hope there's a player in our ranks, deserving of the prize because of his contribution to our great end of season run, as opposed to someone (e.g. Cousins or Hendo) getting it for putting in a decent shift during a depressing losing sequence...
  • Good news. However I was rather hoping the Club staged it after the Burnley game, just after relegation was confirmed, and found it then became a nightmare as 5,000 fans protested in the Car Park and it became untenable to continue with said event. Egg on faces all round.
  • Paddy Power odds just in.

Tony Magic feet Watt 6/4
    Chris Solly 11/4
    Stephen Henderson 3/1
    Rod Fanni 7/2
    Ademola Lookman 4/1
    Yaya Sanogo 6/1
    Igor Vetokele 9/1
    Stephen kelly 14/1
    Darren Purse 20/1
    James Henry 25/1
    100/1 Bar sorry that should read ?

El Hadji Ba 100/1

• Good news. However I was rather hoping the Club staged it after the Burnley game, just after relegation was confirmed, and found it then became a nightmare as 5,000 fans protested in the Car Park and it became untenable to continue with said event. Egg on faces all round.

Could be the reason for the U turn, Large.

I do understand the views of those boycotting everything that brings in money to our Club.

And, Seth, I can't believe that we would be allowed to bring in alternative caterers for the event , although, while we're on a roll, there's no harm in asking. Ian, where are you ? :smile:

However, this is the one occasion every season when supporters can come together, put aside their grievances and draw a line under the past 8 months.

For all but one season in the past 5 that we have organised the dinner, we have sold out - the odd one out was the relegation season of course. But even then, numbers held up pretty well.

I also have my doubts whether Katrien & Richard will attend this time but if they do, then I'm sure we'll have to hire more "bouncers" than usual, just in case....If they were to send their apologies, would that change anyone's stance on attending ?

I'd hope that most fans will be able to see past the animosity & obvious huge gulf between Club and "customers" for one evening & appreciate this is a supporters' event FOR supporters.

I KNOW many state that it's difficult to feel "close" to some of this season's squad as personnel has constantly changed throughout this term . But it could be your last chance to chat to Jacko or indeed any of "our" players with the owner's close season plans a total guessing game, or indeed a lottery.

Please think again if you have your doubts. We need your support otherwise this could be the last crusade .....

• Sponsored links:

• I won't be attending, and I can't see any player being worthy of the title Player of the Year. My boycott continues until the imbeciles get out of our club.
  • Makes me wonder if they had second thoughts because of how the "customers" feel at the moment & therefore "they" prefer not to be part of something ELSE which MAY fail & therefore "they" come out of this looking good, wouldn't put it past them, but I wish You & Ian all the best with this Jean x
  • Sam lloyd said:

Makes me wonder if they had second thoughts because of how the "customers" feel at the moment & therefore "they" prefer not to be part of something ELSE which MAY fail & therefore "they" come out of this looking good, wouldn't put it past them, but I wish You & Ian all the best with this Jean x

I think that is part of it but also that Ian and Jean weren't prepared to play ball. Without them they knew they would have no event.
  • Is it worth getting quotes from other local venues? I dunno how many of them would be keen, but might give us some wiggle room to negotiate with the in-house mob.
  • If KM and RM aren't in attendance I will happily have a few tickets.
  • It is probably an expectation that the paying customers provide the largesse free gratis to the club people, and the ratio may well be too much for the ordinary punters to bear.
    Seeing as how the support will do the organising for free, and seeing as how the club are willing to pay for coach travel, maybe the club will bear all, or a significant share of the up front costs.
    Thinking aloud.
  • Pleased they seem to have listened, Jean. About time. Almost gives some credence to the suggestion that KM may be on way out as not seen much evidence of u - turns before now.
  • Great news!! Big thanks to Fanny and others involved!!
  • edited February 2016
    @Fanny Fanackapan your last comments were very well put. If I was sure that the only club attendees were Riga, coaching staff and players I would be much more likely to go. Another good reason to go would simply be to support you and Ian.